N00b Charging Questions

M0unt41nm4n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F350 Plat, 22 F150 Plat, 20 Jeep Gladiator, CT
Country flag
Just got the CT a couple of days ago and its beyond amazing. Being a geek, this has been a crazy pleasure to drive... its like driving a space ship.

I took it home after its 255 mile drive from the Service Center and had 48% battery after my road trip (along with its first stop at a Super Charger which was awesome). I plugged in the mobile charger and that 48% made it to 52% the next morning. Its been on that charger except for a short 16 mile round trip to drop off my son at his work. Other than that, its been on the charger for a couple of days now. I have about 12h 35m left until its back to 80%. Its misery... because I want to drive it, but its going to spend a whole bunch of time in the garage. There are no Super Chargers within 50 miles of my home, so that's probably not going to happen. There are some Charge Points near by which may work... but its still a PITA.

Its very clear to me that I need a 240 50A line to go into the garage. I currently have two 6-50 outlets in my utility room which would require about 50ft of extension cord to get it over to the CT. I will call an electrician to get one moved, but I need Tesla to get me the Universal charger. I have questions and am requesting some advice.

1 - How long until people got their Universal charger after delivery of the CT?

2 - Would it be a decent idea to have an electrician come and wire in a 14-50 where the Universal will eventually go, then just install the Universal myself when it's shipped (I'm pretty handy with electrical)?

3 - Are there any really long (50ft or more) Tesla extension cords I can get to maybe use my 6-50 (with adapter) now so I don't have to even call an electrician in the short term and just do it when the Universal is shipped?

4 - Any other things you done in a similar situation?

Hints or tips are appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Giskard

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Cybertruck AWD Foundation Series
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
1) No idea as I don't have my Cybertruck yet :)
2) If you do this make sure you tell the electrician to size up the wiring run like it was a 60 amp circuit. You can only safely pull 80% continuous of the rated amperage. That means 40 amps out of a NEMA 14-50 or 6-50 outlet, but the hard-wired Tesla wall chargers can go up to 48 amps.
3) Extension cords do exist, but they aren't cheap. There are many extension cords available for NEMA 6-50 outlets as they're common for welders (e.g., Amazon, Home Depot, Menards, etc.). NACS/J3400/Tesla extension cords exist, too, though they're harder to find and more expensive. I don't think I've seen one got out to 50'.
4) It sounds like you're just pulling from a 15 amp 120 volt household circuit which would be quite slow indeed. Other than going the extension cord route you could also try getting the 20 amp 120 volt adapter for your mobile charger. Assuming you have a 20 amp circuit handy it will charge about a third faster. That doesn't sound like a lot, but it does help (I used one of these at campsites).

I live even further from the Supercharger network than you, so I feel your pain. 240v charging is def the way to go no matter how you accomplish it. I do have a CCS charger about 10 miles away from my house, too, but there are no adapters out yet for the Cybertruck for that (at least that I'm aware of).

cybercuh

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Land Cruiser, 95 Supra, AWD CT VIN 50XX
Country flag
I ran 6 gauge wire through 100ft of conduit at my warehouse from the panel to where I was going to park the truck. Drop due to distance is not bad. It charges 23 mph. Electrician charged me $1700 which is reasonable in SoCal

chaosmarine92

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck
Country flag
Just got the CT a couple of days ago and its beyond amazing. Being a geek, this has been a crazy pleasure to drive... its like driving a space ship.

I took it home after its 255 mile drive from the Service Center and had 48% battery after my road trip (along with its first stop at a Super Charger which was awesome). I plugged in the mobile charger and that 48% made it to 52% the next morning. Its been on that charger except for a short 16 mile round trip to drop off my son at his work. Other than that, its been on the charger for a couple of days now. I have about 12h 35m left until its back to 80%. Its misery... because I want to drive it, but its going to spend a whole bunch of time in the garage. There are no Super Chargers within 50 miles of my home, so that's probably not going to happen. There are some Charge Points near by which may work... but its still a PITA.

Its very clear to me that I need a 240 50A line to go into the garage. I currently have two 6-50 outlets in my utility room which would require about 50ft of extension cord to get it over to the CT. I will call an electrician to get one moved, but I need Tesla to get me the Universal charger. I have questions and am requesting some advice.

1 - How long until people got their Universal charger after delivery of the CT?

2 - Would it be a decent idea to have an electrician come and wire in a 14-50 where the Universal will eventually go, then just install the Universal myself when it's shipped (I'm pretty handy with electrical)?

3 - Are there any really long (50ft or more) Tesla extension cords I can get to maybe use my 6-50 (with adapter) now so I don't have to even call an electrician in the short term and just do it when the Universal is shipped?

4 - Any other things you done in a similar situation?

Hints or tips are appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
1. If you mean as part of the power share then it varies a lot based on location. Some people have gotten them installed within a week of delivery, others like me are still waiting for an electrician to contact us weeks later. You can't get the power share equipment delivered to you directly, they only ship it to Tesla certified electricians. If you declined power share and got the $700 credit and just bought a charger on the shop then I'd expect a week? Just guessing on that though.

2. Yes that will get you going faster but depending on electrician for power share install it could save you money or it could do nothing. The quotes I've seen on here have been all over the place.

3. Tesla doesn't make those but they do exist. I've seen 50ft ones on Amazon for like ~$150.

4. When you get a line installed make sure it's rated for 60amps to get the most out of your charger.

RoboTaxi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Beast when the gods bless me
Country flag
Do you have and electric clothes dryer hat a cord can reach?

Tesla Cybertruck N00b Charging Questions IMG_1608

OP
OP
M0unt41nm4n

M0unt41nm4n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F350 Plat, 22 F150 Plat, 20 Jeep Gladiator, CT
Country flag
Do you have and electric clothes dryer hat a cord can reach?
No its a 6-50 that was used by the previous owner for a Kiln. I was looking at piecing together a franken extension with converters etc, but the big cost is the 14-50 (or 6-50) extension which run in the $300-$500 range. Pricey indeed.

I was kind of hoping for a long Tesla cord so I can reuse it a Super charger in the event I am towing something or someone blocks it once my install is complete

1. If you mean as part of the power share then it varies a lot based on location. Some people have gotten them installed within a week of delivery, others like me are still waiting for an electrician to contact us weeks later. You can't get the power share equipment delivered to you directly, they only ship it to Tesla certified electricians. If you declined power share and got the $700 credit and just bought a charger on the shop then I'd expect a week? Just guessing on that though.
Yeah I'm not convinced I can get a Powershare... according to Tesla, there are no installers in my zip code. Even so, I think getting the Powershare installed and into my garage is going to be extremely costly since the main break is on the rear of my house. They would have to run the power along the base of my house, then breach the wall to get the wire in. It won't be pretty. I may end up taking a pass on it as I really only need a Tesla charger in there. Like you, I am waiting for them to get back to me... but I am not hopeful since I am in the Four Corners region.

Alan

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 S90D ,2014Tacoma, Cyberbeast ordered 2/13/24
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My brother uses 240v extension cord to charge his y. It works great. On the truck you can set it to just charge at. 30amps and not worry so much about the cord getting hot. It will take care of your problems in no time with minimal investment.
Sponsored