Needs to be a stainless hardware option (bolts/nuts, ect.) Or just any bolt that threads into the unibody, suspension parts come to mind.

2TRACk

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
03 CR-V, 91 Toyota pickup, 97 Magna 750
Occupation
Electronic Maintenance
Country flag
Anyone else work on cars in the rust belt know what I'm talking about?
Sponsored

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Stainless nuts & bolts are costlier, and they are weaker so they have to be bigger -- both of which increase their price. Imagine the total savings If Ford reduced the cost of its 15 million F150s by just $10 each. And as the saying goes, "The engineers aren't the ones who have to fix what they design."

But I somehow doubt that Tesla would take cost-saving that far. And it is their employees who have to fix Teslas. Finally, in earlier days the objective was to keep the car together until the 90-day warranty was over, whereas today if 10-year-old rusty nuts snap off rusty bolts, consumers have the power to damage reputation.

gustielasure

First Name
Ril
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M2
Occupation
Support
Country flag
Hell yeah. Living by the ocean says all about that. So, there’s no news for me. Actually, I wish I had stayed in Australia. I have a friend who works there at Scrooz. We became friends when he helped me choose the best roofing screws for my house. I spent about 5 years in Australia. I love it so much, but I had to come back to the US because of a better job offer. That was the moment I wished I were a freelancer, but I still love my job. So, guys, let’s keep the topic updated. BW

Last edited:

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Grade 8 is what you are asking for and the safest choice for undercarriage. This from Iowan perspective and San Diego coastal resident 30 yrs. Grade 8 is suitable on running gear, suspension and cross members.

Safest meaning imported nuts & bolts are sold in bulk typically inferior in quality, they can contain less carbon which fails quickly: brittle. Grade 8 are stamped atop the head. Ask a clerk to show you how to identify.

S.S. are not equals either. S.S. is not suitable undercarriage. Boat Chandlery, nautical hardware stores such as West Marine are good. Ace Hardware, Do It Centers, Home Depot s.s. hardware have been bulk stainless that works for fencing, latches and equip mounts but not first choice for marine and automotive especially ornamental which is exposed to naked eye.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
304 Stainless is also partially ferrous (and magnetic) and will corrode especially in proximity to rusting steel fasteners.

Hopefully, CTs 30X will have more nickel and not rust as easy.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Isn’t all steel partially ferrous? Stainless or otherwise?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Isn’t all steel partially ferrous? Stainless or otherwise?
Yes, but not all steel exhibits ferrous properties. That comes from there being classifications of properties and element names that overlap from before they knew elements were a thing.

-Crissa

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I live by the ocean, so yes.

Don't need to import the salt, the waves throw it in the air.

-Crissa
So you go outside, stick your tongue out, and then take shot of tequila.
Sponsored