rrolsbe

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model 3 RWD
Country flag
Still took 40+ minutes to reach 80% SOC! Our 2023 Model 3, which has a max charge rate of around 170KW, adds miles faster than a CT charging at a 350kW pedastal.

OP
OP
Gurule92

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Still took 40+ minutes to reach 80% SOC! Our 2023 Model 3, which has a max charge rate of around 170KW, adds miles faster than a CT charging at a 350kW pedastal.
you have an lfp model 3? How big is that battery? LR has a max of 250kw at like 75kwh right? Kinda apples to oranges

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
You've got to be a little careful comparing adding a mile on a Model 3 vs a Cybertruck. Yes, a mile is a mile, but in a Cybertruck a mile is about 50% more energy than in a Model 3.

Not sure why a 2023 Model 3 has a max charge rate of 170kW, A V3 charger when the car is between 0-10% battery should give you 250kW.

rrolsbe

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model 3 RWD
Country flag
You've got to be a little careful comparing adding a mile on a Model 3 vs a Cybertruck. Yes, a mile is a mile, but in a Cybertruck a mile is about 50% more energy than in a Model 3.

Not sure why a 2023 Model 3 has a max charge rate of 170kW, A V3 charger when the car is between 0-10% battery should give you 250kW.
I will answer both posts. Yes the Model 3 has an LFP battery so that is why the max charge rate is about 175kW and the battery size is about 60kWh. I am aware the Cybertruck will travel half as far or less on a kW of energy. It's not that the cost per mile does not matter, it is the time to add the miles while charging I am somewhat concerned about. When you Supercharge 4 or 5 times a day on a road trip and the average charge time is around 40 min as opposed to 20 min, that is a bit concerning. We normally travel with our dogs so 20 min average charging sessions is about ideal 40 min is not. If the route traveled had V1 150kW Superchargers/75kW shared the CT charge times could be quite long.

OP
OP
Gurule92

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
I will answer both posts. Yes the Model 3 has an LFP battery so that is why the max charge rate is about 175kW and the battery size is about 60kWh. I am aware the Cybertruck will travel half as far or less on a kW of energy. It's not that the cost per mile does not matter, it is the time to add the miles while charging I am somewhat concerned about. When you Supercharge 4 or 5 times a day on a road trip and the average charge time is around 40 min as opposed to 20 min, that is a bit concerning. We normally travel with our dogs so 20 min average charging sessions is about ideal 40 min is not. If the route traveled had V1 150kW Superchargers/75kW shared the CT charge times could be quite long.
I don't personally road trip all that often. And when I do, the car usually doesn't have me charge all the way to 80. But everyone's experiences are different. I'd say for not having real v4 chargers yet it's pretty promising.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
So don't charge for 40 mins. I'm serious.

The closer you arrive at a Supercharger with an empty battery, the faster you will charge.
Only charge to 50% or just enough to have a slight buffer to your next Supercharger ~150 miles away.

Feel free to drive faster if you want.

While you may hit more stops, the overall travel time will decrease. You are charging on the good side of the battery's charging curve.
To go to the extreme when Superchargers are [placed every 50 miles or better (the majority of the populated country), just stop every 50 miles when on empty. That allows you to basically always charge at 250kW.

Oh yeah, change the charging numbers for the smaller batteries, but same concept. If you can always charge at max rate, it's obvious that you actually spend less time charging.

tbuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 F150 Lariat - Cybertruck Res #113xxx
Country flag
It really is the math and physics. it will take longer to charge a 123kW battery than a 60kW battery - twice as much - so the 20 minute vs 40 minute charge time makes sense.

However, we do know that the charge curve of the first CTs is not optimal and will probably improve as the engineering team has a chance to analyze charging cycles over a large number of CTs - meaning it should improve. The NxuOne initial rate of charge is a good indicator of what is possible when that occurs.

This is another "new" Tesla product that starts off a bit conservative and improves via OTA updates over time. You cannot compare initial release stats to what they will look like in a year. Well, you can, but they won't be the same!

Nurkbonis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
P3D
Country flag
While I know retail staff often is a bit clueless, when I took delivery of my Cybertruck yesterday, I told the employee that I saw a tweet of a Cybertruck that went from 10% to 80% in like 55 minutes at a supercharger.

He admitted that was slow and said the Cybertruck will see charge rates improve OTA as the fleet data is analyzed. He suggested 10% to 80% will be more like 25 minutes.

I know people have speculated that perhaps there isn’t much to improve with the Cybertruck charge-rate, but I will remain hopeful.

🔋🔋🔋
Sponsored