Free EV Charging station (volta) sighted

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
...you are in a pretty privileged field with a vehicle that cost 4-12x my motorcycle (8-20x what I paid for it) and 2-6x my car.

-Crissa
No doubt, as Americans we are far more "priiviledged" than most of the rest of the world. But a teacher, policeman, factory worker, fisherman, store manager, salesperson, etc. can typically afford a Model 3 LR. Many buyers did the "Tesla stretch" which is spending more on a car than they typically would because they know it's going to save them money over it's lifetime and be a better ownership experience.

Plugging into the 30 amp charger for 30 minutes when grocery shopping once a week isn't going to move the needle much. That's a lot of plugging in/unplugging to save $10-$15 annually. It amounts to 3 or four gallons of gas per year.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
That's a lot of plugging in/unplugging to save $10-$15 annually. It amounts to 3 or four gallons of gas per year.
It's more than that.

It's the trip to the dentist just outside my motorcycle's return range. It's that trip to the beach in an Arcimoto. It's using that Leaf to go to the outlet mall in the next city.

It's charging e-bikes and small city cars or even that day you took you long range car through the mountains where there is no charging and stopped for dinner on the way home and got just enough charge to not need to Supercharge out of your way.

And like on days like today when there's a storm and maybe power is out and it's been dark so your solar didn't recharge or maybe there's an exclusion order so some idiocy like a spilled tanker truck or a mud slid and you either can't got to, or can't charge at home. You still want to plug in and stay warm.

-Crissa

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
It's more than that.

It's the trip to the dentist just outside my motorcycle's return range. It's that trip to the beach in an Arcimoto. It's using that Leaf to go to the outlet mall in the next city.

It's charging e-bikes and small city cars or even that day you took you long range car through the mountains where there is no charging and stopped for dinner on the way home and got just enough charge to not need to Supercharge out of your way.

And like on days like today when there's a storm and maybe power is out and it's been dark so your solar didn't recharge or maybe there's an exclusion order so some idiocy like a spilled tanker truck or a mud slid and you either can't got to, or can't charge at home. You still want to plug in and stay warm.

-Crissa
I thought I made it clear, I don't plug in at the supermarket because I don't need to and I would hate to block someone who needed it. I'm glad those free charging solutions exist, it's just not worth it when you have 300 miles of range and Supercharger coverage that puts the competing 3rd party DC chargers to shame. I mostly see Bolts and Leafs at these 30 amp stations even though there are 4 times as many Tesla on the road.

To be clear, I encourage others to use them if they find it worthwhile, I don't.

israndy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3, 2012 Mitsubishi I-Miev, 2x 2007 Vectrix VX-1, 2000 Honda Insight, 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired from IT
Country flag
I do love me some free charging but the free charging is SUCH a draw as there is no app that tracks pricing for chargers. You can either filter by free ones or close ones, there isn’t a filter for cheap ones. So despite the fact that there is a charger near me that only charges 12 cents per most people are in line for days to get connected to the free one.

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
I used an app called gasbuddy for years. I hope there will be one for charging before too long.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
yea, we have them here in front of Whole Foods too.......people use them for over-night charging.....