Charging station for home/work

What kind of charging do you feel you NEED at home or your business?

• Total voters

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Already have an HPWC on a 100amp circuit for my M3P, and a second HPWC waiting for CT....for me I'd rather have more and not use it than have less and need more....especially for the truck...but even the car I like it recovering quickly so I can use it again if / as needed....

personally would never be happy with a trickle charge level of charging...and as more EV's get added to my garage (currently 1 gas, 1 diesel, 1 ev and 4 gas Moto's )...having a bigger circuit, shared is just more practical I would think...
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
With a bigger pack I wouldn't have to get a charge equal to my commute each day. It could be less each day than what was used because it would have capacity to spare and can top back up on days it is not being used.
This will certainly work. You will just need to occasionally hit the Supercharger on your way somewhere. It maths out too. If it costs $1,000 to install a wall charger, you have to skip something like 100 visits to the supercharger to pay off the home charger.

For me anyhow, the Wall Charger is more about avoiding that occasional side-trip to the Supercharger at the beginning or end of a trip. Just last week I was going on a long camp trip and couldn't get the car charged up fast enough at home to avoid a short SC stop on the way out of town.

Regardless, with a Supercharger nearby, you have the flexibility to try out trickle charging with an easy fallback.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Even at 4 miles an hour charging, 12 hours a day is 17,520 miles a year, far more than the average driver

Don't underestimate the power of a basic plug!

Of course, there's lots of other reasons you may want a faster charger; emergency use, scheduling your power consumption, having more than one EV. 240v also tends to run at lower temperatures than 120v, especially for the same load. So that makes cables and your on-board chargers last longer.

I made my own cable, and I don't even charge more than a couple times a week at best.

-Crissa

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
Correct I should have said a nema 14-60 would get you to 48 amps of charging capacity, which in my opinion is still light for the Cybertruck if you are doing a lot of traveling or ever need to charge quickly from your home in a pinch.
Unfortunately, the highest they go currently is 50 on the adapters :cry:

https://shop.tesla.com/product/gen-2-nema-adapters

Only way to get 60 is the full wall mount dedicated charger. Maybe that will change in the future though!

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
You can't have, within the US code, a plug-in EVSE that uses a plug bigger than 50A which means 40 A max charging. On top of that the UMC is limited to 32 A because the 14-50 receptacle is sometimes wired to 40A breakers. The ultimate limitation is that biggest chargers now seem to be 11.52 kW which translates to 48A and that requires a hard wired unit.

These limitations are actually recent. Tesla used to offer dual 40A chargers and then triple 24A chargers but no longer do so. OTOH the Ford Lightening evidently comes with 80A.

OP
OP
rodmacpherson

rodmacpherson

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Security Architect (IT/Infosec)
Country flag
OTOH the Ford Lightening evidently comes with 80A.
Yes, the Extended Range (300mi) battery model of the Lightning has 80A charger, the Standard range has 48A

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Do they wire it through (1) 100 A circuit or (2) 50A?

OP
OP
rodmacpherson

rodmacpherson

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Security Architect (IT/Infosec)
Country flag
Do they wire it through (1) 100 A circuit or (2) 50A?
If you are talking about the Lightning, 48A standard range they have paired with a wall mounted EVSE that connects to a 60A breaker (same as current gen Tesla) and the Extended Range (equivalent to Dual motor Cybertruck) They pair with the 80A (100A breaker) bidirectional EVSE (which is included with the Platinum model) Only the Extended Battery models have the 19.6kW on board charger to take advantage of the higher rate EVSE.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The Audi is not charging at the rate it should be. This is a flaw in the car that it's charging at 600W with 50% loss instead of what a Tesla is capable of on 120v which is 1.8kW with less than 20% loss.

You car is not charging as it is advertised to, and you should be hammering Audi for a fix. This is not normal. Halving charging voltage should not quarter your charging rate.

-Crissa

Last edited:

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
One thing nobody seems to have calculated, particularly those speaking in favor of 120v 12a charging, is the load of Sentry mode, overheat protection mode, and cooling the car when it's really hot. When we got our car, the garage it parks in front of had a 240v 30a twist-lock for my welder, and a 120v 20a recep. Since the car didn't come with the 30a plug, we charged from 120v for a while. It became apparent that this would be unsustainable in the long run, particularly if we wanted to charge only during off-peak times. Running Sentry mode and overheat protection mode (fan only) kills a few kwH per day. If you pre-start the cooling, it will actually use more than the outlet can provide. Once you count in peak/off peak limits, the remaining power per day is VERY low. And if you charge during peak, well, $$ wasted.

I made up a cord to go from the L6-30 connector to a 14-30, and bought the Tesla 14-30 plug for the mobile charger. Now the car can very comfortably charge in the night, and do a quick full-charge top off when needed for trips. And I have more plugs to go with me to charge anywhere.

Tesla Cybertruck Charging station for home/work IMG_8723

Woo

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck reserved and two ICE vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
To be honest, I haven't had a chance to really dig into it. I've got time, obviously, but I think I'm in a pretty good situation, flexibility-wise. I've got a 240 outlet already wired in the area where I think I'll probably park, but it is inside so I'd have some sort of cable snaking out from under a garage door. On the other hand, it is very close to my power panel and I could easily see a 100A panel being wired up next to it or something. I just haven't even figured out what would let me charge reasonably quick.

For me, I'd be interested in something that would take me from 50% to "full" (as full as we do these things) in around 12 hours or less. There are probably a few options available that can do this.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
One thing nobody seems to have calculated, particularly those speaking in favor of 120v 12a charging, is the load of Sentry mode, overheat protection mode, and cooling the car when it's really hot. When we got our car, the garage it parks in front of had a 240v 30a twist-lock for my welder, and a 120v 20a recep. Since the car didn't come with the 30a plug, we charged from 120v for a while. It became apparent that this would be unsustainable in the long run, particularly if we wanted to charge only during off-peak times. Running Sentry mode and overheat protection mode (fan only) kills a few kwH per day. If you pre-start the cooling, it will actually use more than the outlet can provide. Once you count in peak/off peak limits, the remaining power per day is VERY low. And if you charge during peak, well, $$ wasted.
We disable sentry mode when we are at home. Chances of someone coming down our 1000 foot driveway to mess with my car are pretty slim. Plus easier pickings in my storage where I keep tools.

My solution to the excessive heat was to move 500 miles north. It works fairly well most of the time. I know that's an extreme solution, but given current climate trends, it's only getting worse.

Fortunately peak versus off-peak is not a thing here. Maybe if these fucking heat domes become an annual thing it will be implemented.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
One thing nobody seems to have calculated, particularly those speaking in favor of 120v 12a charging, is the load ...
Hey man, as the major voice pointing out that 120v should not be ignored as a valid - I did point out that those are very good reasons to install faster charging. And that I, myself, have done so. Quite inexpensively, I might add.

-Crissa
Sponsored