Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Software Arrchitect
Country flag
Putting all the problems in one pile wouldn't help.

They're making trucks in vastly different ways, too.

Honestly, I can't see them having trouble selling the Lightning, they must be having trouble making them. Even at their inflated price.

-Crissa
I live in fort worth.. when I look at New Ford lightnings for sale within 75 miles of me there are over 2 dozen...
when i looked last july there were NONE.. 1 dealer had one on the lot i could look at, but it belonged to a customer who had dropped it off to have it serviced.

it appears like they have a demand issue.
Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Ford and Chevy and Ram won't be doing the same so they are dragging their feet when it comes to selling lower margin electric vehicles while stealing sales from their own more profitable lines.
I imagine this is definitely true on the retail side.

I also think this is among the reasons Ford broke out its ICE retail, BEV retail, vs Fleet (ICE or BEV) divisions.

When they were collapsed together, a cannibalized sale was indiscernible "on paper." At least now, for any inch lost in ICE to BEV, it at least shows up "on paper" as an inch gained the BEV side of the ledger.

The real trick may be how Ford is handling it's BEV and Fleet business units. Now, the BEV unit sells vehicles to the Fleet business unit, at what is surely some internal related party discount. The Fleet business unit then turns around and sells those Fleet units alongside the suite of subscription services (service, charging stations, telemetrics, refresh commitments, etc.).

This is why I think Ford is making lower margin Pro/XLTs, but shipping most over to the Fleet division and not the retail division.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
when i looked last july there were NONE..
Last July Ford had delivered maybe 5-10 retail units in all of Texas, and they were still being flipped for 20-30K over sticker

meanwhile, if you're now looking at the Ford dealershp websites at new units, that doesn't tell you how many Lightning's are for sale on their lot - Ford's ordering system shows pre-ordered units as being 'for sale' at the delivery dealership.

not saying they arent available, but if that's how you were looking it wont be useful information

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I think it’s unlikely the timing of Ford’s sales collapse is coincidental here. Tesla reset everyone’s expectations of how much an EV should cost in January. Suddenly Ford is having trouble selling 2,000 trucks a month.

The announcement was actually mid-January, but since then sales fell off a cliff. Yes, I know there was a shutdown earlier this year.

1688670675778.png

More important than Tesla price decreases are Ford price increases and Ford dealer price gouging.

Ford had significant price increases on Lightning since 2022 Nov, unavailability of lower priced base model ( Lightning Pro ), and reservations lose of price protection.

Don't forget the price gouging by Ford dealers on top of the higher MSRP.

--------------------------------------------

Ford F-150 Lightning Electric Truck Gets Yet Another Price Hike The adjustment marks the third price increase of the 2023 Lightning since August.
By Jack Fitzgerald
Published: Dec 16, 2022
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a42267926/ford-f-150-ev-pickup-pricing-increase/

Ford no longer offering price protection on model year price increases?
Feb 1, 2023
https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...otection-on-model-year-price-increases.14376/

Hi all, I just got off the phone with a service rep from Ford about some of the price increases that have happened on my F150 lightning order since placing my initial order. They've confirmed that when I placed my order the starting MSRP was $46,974, but mentioned Ford is no longer offering price protection on model year price increases, so I will have to be the increased price upon taking delivery. I'm reading many things that say this is not true, but this is what I heard from a Ford Rep and my Dealer is telling me the same thing. Is this true?

viennaxmas Location Vienna, VA Vehicles 2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Feb 1, 2023 #5
I see more and more customers not taking delivery of their trucks, mostly due to the price increase and ford dealers around em do have some inventory on their lots. I hope ford is aware that these price increases do sour their customers. I am aware, they clearly stated that the price is not fixed until delivery. Still leaves a bad taste for me. For myself I know - one more price increase and I will be out. I already had to drop features to make it, but I could not do another price hike.

MannyG20 Location TX Vehicles ‘22 Bronco, ‘11 F-150
Feb 1, 2023 #9
The price increases have already forced me out.

2023 Lightning Pro - $9k price protection likely or pipe dream?
Jan 2, 2023
https://www.lightningowners.com/thr...k-price-protection-likely-or-pipe-dream.2869/

RST · #5 · Jan 2, 2023
And as for the December price increase......same story.....does not affect orders placed prior to Dec 14th.

Please be aware of the new 2023 F-150 Lightning Price Level 330, effective December 14th and communicate this within your dealership.

SUMMARY Ford is adjusting the MSRP on the 2023 F-150 Lightning Pro 110A & XLT 311A Series due to ongoing supply chain constraints, rising material costs and other market factors. We will continue to monitor pricing across the model year.

Adjusted MSRP’s will go into effect for new commercial customer and retail orders placed starting December 14th .

Current commercial and government customers with a scheduled order are unaffected by this adjustment.

Ford Dealers SCREWED Truck Buyers, Now They're Paying The Price
Feb 19, 2023
Motor Feed

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
It will get uglier over time.

Starting soon the CT I reckon will be priced more competitively than what is mooted everywhere, which will up the anti even more on competing products which are planned to go into production years from now.

When your ICE business is 50% down, there will be a lot more going on than just words. I'm not looking forward to that, I'm just saying it is going to be a shitfest.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Ford no longer offering price protection on model year price increases?
Feb 1, 2023
https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...otection-on-model-year-price-increases.14376/

Hi all, I just got off the phone with a service rep from Ford about some of the price increases that have happened on my F150 lightning order since placing my initial order. They've confirmed that when I placed my order the starting MSRP was $46,974, but mentioned Ford is no longer offering price protection on model year price increases, so I will have to be the increased price upon taking delivery. I'm reading many things that say this is not true, but this is what I heard from a Ford Rep and my Dealer is telling me the same thing. Is this true?
Man, you’re really wadding into some territories you’re not familiar with.

Nor did you seem to read the rest of this thread you’re quoting from (or others like it) to realize how these tend to turn out.

Long story short, there are a lot of confusing complications based on when people were waved in to order, if they delayed ordering, how each of those dates relate to price increase announcements, and when the order was actually made by the buyer. Ford has been honoring people’s pricing at at time of order but not at time of reservation or offer to orde. Which is fair: you can’t be asked to order, say “I’d rather wait,” and then after a price increase go “now I’d like to order, but at the old price.”

Buyers get confused, some dealerships are no less confused, and then there are a bunch of such posts on the Lightning forum.

Basically, what you’re doing is the equivalent of me collecting posts from this forum from confused or frustrated Tesla buyers regarding CT pricing, then porting them over to the Lightning forum to post them out of context, then say “see for yourselves Ford guys, Tesla is a sh*tshow.”

TBONO

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
I live in fort worth.. when I look at New Ford lightnings for sale within 75 miles of me there are over 2 dozen...
when i looked last july there were NONE.. 1 dealer had one on the lot i could look at, but it belonged to a customer who had dropped it off to have it serviced.

it appears like they have a demand issue.
But will they sell one at MSRP or insisting on ADMs?
The “demand” issue is dealer fueled from what I’ve seen.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
That may be the right way to look at it. There probably aren't many Chevy or Ram guys out there who look at the Maverick and think "That's the vehicle that will get me to switch brands." It looks too much like their own brand and too similar in capabilitied. But, hit them with the Cybertruck and they'll say "Hey, that thing is so different and so much better, I'd be an idiot to not buy one."
Well, if they need something smaller, they might. Sometimes it's about what'll fit into the barn or park on the street.

-Crissa
Sponsored