NEWS: Jim Farley Posts Lightning Sales Tripled vs. 1H 2022

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
With a F150 redesign from the ground up , use front and rear castings( Toyota is said to be interested) would be a good start. Ford needs to work on vertical integration which they are very poor at, Sandy Munro has a few videos on this subject he was a 10 yr Ford employee as an engineer.
It would take Ford 6 years to re-design the F-150 from the ground up, and that's optimistic. That's not where they are going with this because Farley is not an engineer and doesn't unserstand just how deficient the F-150 is in terms of being over-weight, materials cost and having poor aerodynamics.

Ford is supposed to have a 2nd generation Lightning being released in 2025 along with EV trucks from GM and Ram. Small improvements are being made with drivetrain efficiency but the big changes need to be batteries or similar power source they need to be more power dense. If I can get similar mileage that I get from my ICE truck I would be good with that. The NACS port will be a big help
The Lightning battery cells are quite power dense, the problem is with the packaging. And re-packaging. They are packaged twice, and they still don't contribute to the trucks core strength, they are just dead weight, including all that packaging. But this is only 5% of the problem.

The real problem is the overall design, you would be hard-pressed to come up with a basic design format that is less aerodynamic than the big, high hood, higher cab with an open bed trailing behind. It just screams "Add more batteries because as soon as you drive me over 50 mph, I need huge amounts of energy to maintain that speed." This drag (and the weight of the heavy body-on-frame construction) is a bigger problem than Farley appears to realize as demonstrated by the fact that the second-generation Lightning will have exactly the same problems.

They don't seem to get that what was acceptable losses on an ICE powertrain costs too much on an electric powertrain. Because the higher kWh requirements entail a heavier battery which then requires additional batteries to make up for the weight of the heavier batteries and this continues in a re-iterating leapfrog. Fortunately, after a few iterations it peters out finally into insignificance, but the initial iterations are already unacceptable in terms of cost because all that extra weight and battery cost doesn't stop there. Now you need a stronger frame, higher capacity shocks and tires, bigger brakes (which again, weigh more) and on and on. And that weight means it needs more batteries and has less payload and towing capacity unless you make the frame heavier and stronger, and on and on.

A rational person can see the answer lies in optimizing every aspect for efficiency, from aero to weight to internal friction losses. But Ford has a culture of thinking small gains are not worth spending time and money on because they fail to see how those small inefficiencies cascade into larger inefficiencies, once all is considered. Of course, GM with their Hummer is the poster child for that kind of thinking, at least Ford tries a little bit, they are just not willing to make the big changes that are required.

All of this could be fixed with a complete re-design, but that's not what is happening because they think it should look like the gas F-150 and the very cost of the re-design would put them even further in the red in terms of their ability to sell it at the cost it took them to make it. Ford is a very inefficient organization and a re-design would probably cost 8-10 times as much as it cost Tesla to design/engineer the Cybertruck and the result would still be inferior.

In the end, the root problem is Ford is only efficient at doing the same thing over and over (and not even very efficient at that). The entire organization has matured around NOT doing things too differently, just a little thing here or there while leveraging the value of the already established designs, principles and protocols. It's built into the corporate culture.

I'm simply speaking plainly and honestly, not bashing them, when I say they are unequipped to do what is required. It may be difficult for someone to understand why they can't just change, but large OEM's are not organisms that have evolved to be adept at that. They have to unlearn what they have progressively become for over a century. That's a lot of baggage and it's more difficult to unlearn something, to turn into a different kind of organism, than to learn something new. That's true with an individual, being a corporation takes it to a whole new level of difficulty. I think people can't appreciate this, it's basically impossible to do in any reasonable timeframe, it's easier to start from scratch.

I'm definitely not rooting for Ford to fail, but I don't see that they are equipped to change quickly enough to save themselves without becoming a ward of the State, something I disagree with as a taxpayer. I believe it's absolutely neccessary for government to let businesses stand or fall on their own merits. I'm not against grants and low interest loans to help foster inovation and productivity, but these tools should never be used on failing businesses in order to prop them up because it corrupts the engines of productivity and disincentivizes excellence.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I'll disagree with the 'sales volume you get with 80k'..... it's the features it offers. Around here, 80k ICE trucks are a dime a dozen, and they're loaded with doodads. the Lightening can't really compete with them.
Features don’t matter after a point. Number of people who can afford an $80k vehicle is quite limited.

Average truck sales price is around $55k (and dropping!). That means for every $80k truck sold, there are 5 $50k trucks sold. “Around there” doesn’t mean anything. the number of trucks sold at $80k is under 300k/ year between all brands.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Features don’t matter after a point. Number of people who can afford an $80k vehicle is quite limited.

Average truck sales price is around $55k (and dropping!). That means for every $80k truck sold, there are 5 $50k trucks sold. “Around there” doesn’t mean anything. the number of trucks sold at $80k is under 300k/ year between all brands.
of course as the price increases, the pool of buyers shrinks. that being said, the market will vary by region and there are a s***tonne of 80k+ trucks in my area. in speaking with a local contractor, he is also waiting for the trimotor CT and he's an average contractor around here. it's a business write-off that makes him more efficient with reduced fuel costs and electricity on the job site. he also installed my home charger.

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, GTS1000,FJR1300, Aprillia Scarabeo,
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
of course as the price increases, the pool of buyers shrinks. that being said, the market will vary by region and there are a s***tonne of 80k+ trucks in my area. in speaking with a local contractor, he is also waiting for the trimotor CT and he's an average contractor around here. it's a business write-off that makes him more efficient with reduced fuel costs and electricity on the job site. he also installed my home charger.
if the potential buyers with desposits shrinks 50%…..back orders won’t be filled until 2027. at best.

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
for every $80k truck sold, there are 5 $50k trucks sold. “Around there” doesn’t mean anything. the number of trucks sold at $80k is under 300k/ year between all brands.
He's not wrong here you guys. You're seeing exactly this play out in the numbers shown in the original post.

A lot of those trucks that DO make up the $80k+ buyer are large diesels, not standard pickups like F150/Silverado/ Cybertruck

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
This drag (and the weight of the heavy body-on-frame construction) is a bigger problem than Farley appears to realize as demonstrated by the fact that the second-generation Lightning will have exactly the same problems.
Gotta hand it to you: you’re not shy about just saying things you like to hear!

For those interested in reality:
  • There will be no “second generation Lightning” - Ford has confirmed this multiple times
  • The next generation Ford electric truck will not be an F150 - Ford has confirmed this multiple times
  • The next gen BEV truck, “project T3,” will be Ford’s first ground-up BEV platform, not based on any predecessor platform
  • The T3 will be built in Ford’s first dedicated BEV assembly plant
  • The BEV plant, and the T3, are expected in 2025
The above is the su’ total of everything known for certain about the T3 to date, by anyone outside the Ford development team

@HaulingAssis not in the Ford development team

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag

Ford has delivered roughly 7,000 Lightning pickups in the US market this year so far.

It would appear QoQ, Ford Lightning sales are down, again.

4291 delivered Q123
Seemingly ~3000 in Q223

Do you think Cybertruck has an affect? Is it all rates?

What do you guys think?
The Cybertruck is not having any effect.
(Unless someone in the top 50,000 of the waiting list also has a reservation for the Lightning)

If you want an EV pickup this year, you will buy the Lightning. If you want a Cybertruck, and don't have a reservation already, you are probably 4 years away from taking delivery of a Cybertruck.

PS Ford is not pumping out very many Lightnings. They still can't build them very fast. They need to fix that....and before 2025.

Greshnab

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Software Arrchitect
Country flag
The Cybertruck is not having any effect.
(Unless someone in the top 50,000 of the waiting list also has a reservation for the Lightning)
you are very very wrong.. I was all set to get a lightning mid last year when it became apparant that cybertruck WOULD be available this year and ford was abandoning the lightning concept in a few years.

Those things made me NOT get a lightning this year when i got an MY instead to use as a down payment on a CT, and reserved a CT.. why my res number is ungodly high..

SO in short i can tell you at least ONE sale ford lost.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I was all set to get a lightning mid last year when it became apparant that cybertruck WOULD be available this year and ford was abandoning the lightning concept in a few years.
hope you didn’t need a truck this year

But wishing you luck on next

flowerlandfilms

First Name
Eryk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yamaha SRV-250, Honda Odyssey RB1
Occupation
Film Maker
Country flag
As a lightning owner, who, in six months will have an adapter for NACS super charging, I humbly submit that my vehicle is instead this

5597CF3C-9836-429B-B594-E527DE482B97.jpeg
I prefer my Sony unit, it has cross-talk adjust.
Tesla Cybertruck NEWS: Jim Farley Posts Lightning Sales Tripled vs. 1H 2022 PXL_20230702_042640573

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Ford partnership is planning for 100GW factory by 2026.

1. How many F150's is that ?

2. How long would it scale to get to that number ?

3. What year would it be by then ?

1. 500,000 ?
2. 3 Years ?
3. 2029 ?

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Ford partnership is planning for 100GW factory by 2026.

1. How many F150's is that ?

2. How long would it scale to get to that number ?

3. What year would it be by then ?

1. 500,000 ?
2. 3 Years ?
3. 2029 ?
the answer is:

1. zero
2. Zero
3. Zero

ford will not build a single BEV F150 using batteries from that plant

Though I suppose they could put some in F150 hybrids

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
Country flag
Gotta hand it to you: you’re not shy about just saying things you like to hear!

For those interested in reality:
  • There will be no “second generation Lightning” - Ford has confirmed this multiple times
  • The next generation Ford electric truck will not be an F150 - Ford has confirmed this multiple times
  • The next gen BEV truck, “project T3,” will be Ford’s first ground-up BEV platform, not based on any predecessor platform
  • The T3 will be built in Ford’s first dedicated BEV assembly plant
  • The BEV plant, and the T3, are expected in 2025
The above is the su’ total of everything known for certain about the T3 to date, by anyone outside the Ford development team

@HaulingAssis not in the Ford development team
Right. Mustang Mach T. Sorry..

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I don't see how it could be supply chain issues when their production goal since Jan 4, 2022 was 150,000 units annually.
...You're saying you don't see how it could be supply issues when they knew they needed enough parts?

Seems like them ordering enough parts is different than enough parts arriving.

Much like when Tesla was young and their seat supplier assumed they'd only take a fraction of the seats they'd ordered, so didn't actually plan to make all the seats they'd promised to deliver?

-Crissa

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
Country flag
Just wanted to share an update, Ford has provided June figures now totaling out the quarter.

Versus June 2022, Ford Lightning sales are actually down 22%.

Quarter 3 total is 4,466 Lightnings total

Tesla Cybertruck NEWS: Jim Farley Posts Lightning Sales Tripled vs. 1H 2022 IMG_0424
Sponsored