Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
The thing is it's really a 300-mile truck, not a 600-mile truck. Why? Well, it's only 300 battery which is still not nearly as easy as gas - remember they don't have the SC network...but then if you want Hydrogen you have to go to find something 100X harder to find.... a Hydrogen station. Good luck with that!
Also, Hydrogen even cost more. Its big benefit is quick fill and renewable. But Electricity catching up quickly.
Sponsored

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
The Badger is pretty fugly looking IMO. I feel the CT blows it away in the styling department. I noticed how it copies the Raptor‘s grill lighting.

Tesla Cybertruck Nikola Badger pickup 73DE0FFE-C780-4CC4-8B35-C8EA73100692

Reactions: Jow

Woodworker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber Truck
Occupation
TxDOT Highway Contractor
Country flag
Nope, not for me. I am all in on the Cyber Truck. I see no self driving capabilities. Why even consider Hydrogen? I seriously doubt Fuel Cells are even going to make it off from the drawing boards. And with all of Tesla's innovations and expanding platforms that are upgrade able I am putting all my money on the Tesla. As well as a solar investment to power it into the future.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Also, Hydrogen even cost more. Its big benefit is quick fill and renewable. But Electricity catching up quickly.
Keep firmly in mind that hydrogen is just another form of battery (actually the anode of the battery - the fuel cell is the complete battery) in that it stores electrical energy derived from another source, A very big advantage of it, and the one that may save it from falling into obscurity, is that it stores energy much more densely than batteries based on other metals (yes, hydrogen is a metal), A few kg of hydrogen can store as much energy as hundreds of grams of lithium. So where hydrogen is likely to emerge is where weight reduction is very important such as in the trucking industry (where 1000 kg of battery is 1000 kg of cargo not carried) or aviation. Both those industries have the advantage that their support infrastructure is realized in an industrial setting where hydrogen generating equipment can be safely installed. All that is left is to get hydrogen from a cheap, carbon free source and that is, clearly, hydrolysis of water. That's inefficient now but some are touting technologies that will be over 90% efficient. Develop that technology and feed it with electricity from solar or wind and we are there. A few other things need to be worked out too such as onboard storage, fuel cell cost and complexity,...

If all the above come to pass, and I think they will but it may be 10 - 20 years, then the technology will spill over into the automotive market. I won't live to see it but hydrogen cars might one day happen.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
I am surprised that Tesla didn’t adopt the “skateboard“ approach to building their vehicles. One basic skateboard and simply attach different bodies.

Tesla Cybertruck Nikola Badger pickup 890ECBAB-4822-4214-80F6-1AE3711386A4

larryboy31

First Name
larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Dodge turbo diesel ext. cab,2016 Nissan versa, 2021 Subaru cross trek
Occupation
retired
Country flag
The thing is it's really a 300-mile truck, not a 600-mile truck. Why? Well, it's only 300 battery which is still not nearly as easy as gas - remember they don't have the SC network...but then if you want Hydrogen you have to go to find something 100X harder to find.... a Hydrogen station. Good luck with that!
I had not paid any attention to hydrogen for several years. I just looked at the current distribution of H2 filling stations. Unless you live in CA or on the East coast there are none. It will be very hard to sell a Badger in Nebraska. I know, big deal, but it will be just as hard to sell one in Texas or Illinois,

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
The Lordstown Endurance has a better chance than the Badger. 4 electric motors, 600 HP, 250 mile range and tows 7500 pounds. It will start at $52.5k and the official unveiling is later this month. The body shell looks like the previous generation Chevy 1500(?) My guess is that they kept the styling traditional to help appeal to Midwest buyers, keep them in their comfort zone so to speak.

Tesla Cybertruck Nikola Badger pickup E92DA018-91DC-4ACC-8967-0E61A24727D7

Last edited:

VI Tesla

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck
Country flag
My major problem with hydrogen is that the technology should've been before EV's, not during them. The concept of hydrogen vehicles aren't as good as the concept of electric vehicles in every aspect.
I've tried many times to point this out to a fuel cell supporter I know. Hydrogen at the moment is brutally inefficient as compared to batteries. And you have to know that the hydrogen would just be the new big oil. All those gasoline service stations will become hydrogen stations run by you guessed it the Shells and Chevrons of the world.

Last edited:

JohnPeter

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
I know safety tech has been getting better and better. But for me there is a double risk of fire hazard. I can imagine either a battery fire igniting the hydrogen or the opposite may occur. Anyway, it is something I want no part of!

Jow

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ Cruiser, '94 Bronco
Occupation
Biz Owner
Country flag
can't get over the dumb name. what's next, HENRY motors?

Hunter Sawyer

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Construction Worker
Country flag
I am surprised that Tesla didn’t adopt the “skateboard“ approach to building their vehicles. One basic skateboard and simply attach different bodies.

890ECBAB-4822-4214-80F6-1AE3711386A4.png
Same reason laptops and phones aren't modular.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
Apparently, according to their website, they (nikola)are in the process of building, or at least planning alot of hydrogen stations.

But hydrogen still dosnt make much sense.
Tesla and current EVs, you just make electricity and pump it into the car. basically 2 steps.

With hydrogen you have to go through a process to extract it, from natural gas, or water, or whatever. Which in itself is inefficient. than compress and store it which uses even more energy.
Basically 3or 4 step, losing energy every time.

VI Tesla

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck
Country flag
Apparently, according to their website, they (nikola)are in the process of building, or at least planning alot of hydrogen stations.

But hydrogen still dosnt make much sense.
Tesla and current EVs, you just make electricity and pump it into the car. basically 2 steps.

With hydrogen you have to go through a process to extract it, from natural gas, or water, or whatever. Which in itself is inefficient. than compress and store it which uses even more energy.
Basically 3or 4 step, losing energy every time.
Exactly,
step 1: extract the hydrogen
step 2: compress it
step 3: transport it
step 4: convert back to electricity via fuel cell

Every step has a loss of energy. Just doesn't make any sense. On top of that, the first three steps cost money which will be passed to consumer. How does it make any sense?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Hydrogen will only make sense when it is produced by hydrolysis of water using renewable electricity that is so cheap that even with the energy lost to conversion inefficiency it is economically reasonable.
Sponsored