Nikola is going to crush Tesla with its new technology!

Handy Artie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Mercedes Sprinter 2500
Occupation
Retired surgical oncologist
Country flag
The Tesla Semi will rule for logistics systems who build out their own commercial Solar roofed recharging facilities.
Sponsored

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
A straight 6 diesel engine is pretty sweet. Even GM realized how inherently smooth and compact this design is. They now offer in their pickups as an option.

Even if Tesla had an assembly plant I think the Class 8 Semi is being held up by battery production restraints and the yet to be revealed 2nd generation tabless batteries that will soon be revealed. The Semi uses four separate battery packs to power four model 3 electric motors that are charges simultaneously when plugged in.

Last edited:

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
The general public still thinks about the Hindenburg whenever the hydrogen word is spoken. The first serious collision involving a hydrogen powered car where the tank ruptures, explodes and kills its occupants AND receives major media coverage will be the death of hydrogen powered cars in this country.

3AB5CBEF-DAC2-4E1E-82AC-566821310582.jpeg

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Hydrogen might work for powering off grid charging stations, but not to fuel cars and trucks.
Cars, no but trucks, probably yes with the difference being that hydrogen is expensive to generate, transport and store in a non industrial setting. There are already businesses in existence that fuel industrial trucks in an industrial setting. Every Amazon and Whole Foods warehouse uses them. These businesses are profitable (or will be soon). Hydrogen is trucked to these locations. Nikola's model will generate the hydrogen at the location where it will be dispensed thus eliminating the transport costs. IF the man can get his 4¢/kWh.

The general public still thinks about the Hindenburg whenever the hydrogen word is spoken. The first serious collision involving a hydrogen powered car where the tank ruptures, explodes and kills its occupants AND receives major media coverage will be the death of hydrogen powered cars in this country.
Just as the first BEV explosion/fire brought an end to BEVs?

Hydrogen consumer cars are very probably dead forever but it's because of the economics, not the FUD. There have been 2 (that I can think of) hydrogen fueling station explosions and I'd say neither of them attracted the attention that the several BEV fires have.

OP
OP
CappyJax

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag

3AB5CBEF-DAC2-4E1E-82AC-566821310582.jpeg
Actually, modern composite hydrogen tanks in fuel cell vehicles is the safest form of energy storage. Safer than gasoline, diesel, propane, and yes, even BEV's. That will change when solid state batteries become available, but today hydrogen is by far the safest. The tanks are so tough that they won't rupture in any crash in which a human could survive. And if they do rupture, the hydrogen vents at a very fast rate and then climbs into the air faster than any other gas. If a gasoline, diesel, or propane tank rupture, they all spill to the ground and are far more hazardous.

Robesaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Dodge Ram
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Glad to see those calling this charlatan out. If there was a BEV stock to short, it’s Nikola.
This guy is so obvious I have no idea how he made it this far.
It will be a shame when the bad press blankets over all BEVs the way Solyndra was just one company that hung a dark cloud over much green energy for years.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
I hope Nikola is successful. Big rigs running on hydrogen is better than big rigs running on diesel. But I would not want a hydrogen vehicle.
Well said. It would seem that getting hydrogen set up along long-haul routes for big trucks would be an easier sell and fast fuel-ups would be a bigger deal. I'm all for cleaner air but I don't think I would bother with a hydrogen vehicle. I mean, we "fuel" up the MY at our house almost exclusively. Why would I want a vehicle that I have to go somewhere else to fuel up?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
If there was a BEV stock to short, it’s Nikola.
And I surely wish I had done so just before the warrants hit! Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't buy some (long).
I mean, we "fuel" up the MY at our house almost exclusively. Why would I want a vehicle that I have to go somewhere else to fuel up?
You wouldn't but most people take their cars on a trip at least occasionally. But I suspect that perhaps you may be missing the point that you don't have to take the Badger elsewhere to charge it. You will do that at home with your Level 2 charger. Of course there is still no point in paying for the hydrogen technology which is only of benefit on long trips if you never go on long trips. I've seen posts here by Tesla owners who have never been to a Super Charger.

Last edited:

VI Tesla

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck
Country flag
Then this happened and will continue to happen when dealing with hydrogen.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Sure, anyone can find an accident that injured someone.
https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/feared-trapped-factory-fire-indian-capital-68025633

"...and will continue to happen when dealing with hydrogen batteries."

But that's dumb. Every time you pile a bunch of potential energy - which a battery is - you have a chance for it to escape too quickly.

-Crissa
Yes batteries explode but usually doesn't take out the neighborhood. But that isn't my big reluctance with hydrogen. Does anyone know how long fuel cell lasts in a vehicle?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yes batteries explode but usually doesn't take out the neighborhood. But that isn't my big reluctance with hydrogen. Does anyone know how long fuel cell lasts in a vehicle?
I linked to a battery taking out the neighborhood.

And no, since there's not really good public data. The people testing fuel cells either want to sell them, so who knows, or they want to block them, so they choose contrarian numbers.

-Crissa

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
I linked to a battery taking out the neighborhood.

And no, since there's not really good public data. The people testing fuel cells either want to sell them, so who knows, or they want to block them, so they choose contrarian numbers.

-Crissa
Well yes you did link to a battery factory that burned, but that a bit apples to oranges on a battery vs hydrogen tank explosion. Here I link you to a hydrogen factory explosion. ?
Sponsored

Last edited: