Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
IDK the cost model. There was a potential savings upfront of $40k but I imagine if you have a battery on rent for years on end that would get eaten up pretty fast.

As I said a couple times now Nio's supercharge at 250 amps when available which is pretty close to a Tesla. Most people would chose that. The only real reason to swap would be to install a larger pack for a trip or put a smaller pack in for around town. Battery pack maintenance would also be easier.

Granted the best range will come with a fitted structural pack, but there are compromises there as well. If Nio or BYD make inroads to the USA they won't build out a swapping network. They might have a station at the dealer service station in each town but that would probably be the extent.

They are both making compelling competition which will push Tesla to be better.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
DOJO is going to arrive and this has to be one of its first validation runs to verify one way or no way swappable cargo battery becomes a supportable layer in Tesla architecture. WATCH for sure!
I don't understand how DOJO will affect battery design or deployment.

It may contribute to machine learning optimization, but machine learning to market optimization is a stretch. The variables are not precise enough for a machine to predict with any better accuracy than a human with good instinct.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Battery swap is the “ traveling salesman” problem; N-hard. DOJO is optimized specifically to solve hard problems in the field of visualization.

Battery swap is just a “vehicle” with a fixed set of parameters, traveling routes constrained by network effects. DOJO can solve for min/max algebraic optimization and provide differential areas under the curve as economic opportunities Tesla can assign value.

As a brand Teslas define the electric future. Future Tesla owners may value battery the more electric their lives. At some point, owning a ton of batteries in 3 cars, motorToys, backup home solar, equipment, accessories, tools and appliances(mower,rototiller,tractor) crosses the SWAP threshold of pain/economics.

DOJO, in the right hands, can be useful establishing that SWAP point where it is perceived economically advantageous to not buy a built-in battery for everything. Tesla can then define what swap architecture best addresses that environ.

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier, 2015 F-150, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Country flag
The only place I can see battery swapping being practical even in the short term is handheld power tools, small short range vehicles (E-scooter/mower) and racing.

Lives2TruckAround

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'92 Jeep Wrangler and 22’ Model Y
Occupation
Retired young/Business Owner
Country flag
I am not expecting anyone or anything to "out do/out perform" anything on the cybertruck....

I do like those seats in this NIO though.... I wonder if I can get those installed in the CT
Sponsored