O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Pretty sure you want to remove the k in kWh, or add a decimal point in front of the 248.
I never was any good at math or metrics.......I just used the slip-stick
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The first choice makes me think 'showoff model'' available only with all the bells and whistles (B-A-W.. that's right damnit I overrode the big ass windshield acronym!) Second choice makes me think mass production edition (MPE) alongside the BAW edition.
If Tesla delivers on the launch day features, every Cybertruck will be a show off model.

Every single one.

Look back at the launch day stats for the tri motor. It equals or beats the Hummer, the R1T, and the F150 Lightning at every single metric. Thatā€™s not accounting for adding a 4th motor to the mix.

Look back at the tri motor stats from the launch day video and tell me where exactly Tesla would need to upgrade the Cybertruck to make it shine.

* Cargo Capacity (Huge Win)
* Range (Massive Win)
* Acceleration (Competitive)
* Bed Size (Huge Win)

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Actually you can have a casting that has both attach points for either a dual motor in the rear or single motor in the rear just like the front. The motor assemblies are premade, so which ever order comes thru the line they can install either single motor per axle or dual motor per axle...or even dual in the rear then single in the front. For economy of scale savings their casting could accommodate brand new motors or use current supply that's just has new housings to fit their packaging constraints. Tri-motor could be plaid rear assembly and MYP rear motor in the front. Quad could be reworked dual plaid assemblies. Dual which they will eventually make could be dual MYP rear motors for CT front and back. Main thing is that casting can be made very configurable with bolt point all built in. Elon for sure would've planned for this and not make 2 separate castings for different type of motor configurations. Just what makes sense to me.
The drivetrains mount to the front and rear castings, but the castings are not instrumental in motor selection as such.

I doubt somehow the motor stator and casing will form a part of the front and rear giga cast in the CT due to manufacturing and maintenance issues. They might do it in the $25k car though if it works.

But that is not my argument, rather it is that a smaller, lighter, more efficient Plaid PMSRM is lower cost for a given range, meaning less batteries as well, and results in a better product that is also more profitable per kWh of battery capacity (Tesla limiting factor for CT) for Tesla. Especially so if they can shimmy in a extra motor and torque vectoring 4WD with 4WS etc for some extra cash.

BTW this is a two thread convo atm, theres more on this here if you are interested.
https://www.cybertruckownersclub.co...prediction-agree-or-disagree.5458/post-110967

Macgyverfever

First Name
Regular Don-Won
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP BLUE/WHITE, M3RWD GRAY/BLACK
Occupation
Multifaceted IT Professional
Country flag
If Tesla delivers on the launch day features, every Cybertruck will be a show off model.

Every single one.

Look back at the launch day stats for the tri motor. It equals or beats the Hummer, the R1T, and the F150 Lightning at every single metric. Thatā€™s not accounting for adding a 4th motor to the mix.

Look back at the tri motor stats from the launch day video and tell me where exactly Tesla would need to upgrade the Cybertruck to make it shine.

* Cargo Capacity (Huge Win)
* Range (Massive Win)
* Acceleration (Competitive)
* Bed Size (Huge Win)
Well, gosh Ogre I didn't think anyone (other than Tinker71 of course because he's awesome) even read my post - was starting to tear up a little šŸ˜„šŸ˜‚

And thank you for making my point regarding re-sale nightmare šŸ‘

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Well, gosh Ogre I didn't think anyone (other than Tinker71 of course because he's awesome) even read my post - was starting to tear up a little šŸ˜„šŸ˜‚

And thank you for making my point regarding re-sale nightmare šŸ‘
Iā€™ve been barely on the forums at all lately.

Noticed you didnā€™t actually reply to my comment though.

Resale will be an issue regardless of what the initial price is. Teslaā€™s ā€œsolutionā€ to this is to get as many trucks on the road as possible quickly. When there are 100k out there, flipping becomes a lot less profitable. When there are 200k on the road, flipping profits will get eaten by transaction costs in most states.

Macgyverfever

First Name
Regular Don-Won
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP BLUE/WHITE, M3RWD GRAY/BLACK
Occupation
Multifaceted IT Professional
Country flag
Iā€™ve been barely on the forums at all lately.

Noticed you didnā€™t actually reply to my comment though.

Resale will be an issue regardless of what the initial price is. Teslaā€™s ā€œsolutionā€ to this is to get as many trucks on the road as possible quickly. When there are 100k out there, flipping becomes a lot less profitable. When there are 200k on the road, flipping profits will get eaten by transaction costs in most states.

Lol fair enough (btw Ogre you're awesome too! Wasn't trying to imply otherwise.. hugs?) And apologies for letting my lame attempt of humor get in the way. Let me have a go at properly replying:

Yes, I too agree all CT will be show off models. Perhaps I phrased it wrong - maybe 'fully loaded' model would be more accurate?

My point I tried to make earlier was based on the premise that there will be 4680 cell manufacture constraints which (along with circumventing scalping) leads me to believe the fully loaded model will be first available.

I could be wrong and am on a strict humble pie diet these days.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Lol fair enough (btw Ogre you're awesome too! Wasn't trying to imply otherwise.. hugs?) And apologies for letting my lame attempt of humor get in the way. Let me have a go at properly replying:

Yes, I too agree all CT will be show off models. Perhaps I phrased it wrong - maybe 'fully loaded' model would be more accurate?

My point I tried to make earlier was based on the premise that there will be 4680 cell manufacture constraints which (along with circumventing scalping) leads me to believe the fully loaded model will be first available.

I could be wrong and am on a strict humble pie diet these days.
Yeahā€¦ I think I just misunderstood you a bit.

Itā€™s a life-skill.

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
This an extremely good piece of news for the CT pricing. A $20k price drop is huge and per my premise on this thread was a requirement for acceptable pricing of the CT to go mainstream. I can't believe it is happening this fast.

Cheaper Model Y in Europe

I have to hand it to Tesla, by not offering the RWD version until now they have been able to been able to sell a lot more high end cars than they would have if the RWD was available. Now that the competition is heating up in Europe with NIO, BYD, and Ford, they release this version just as their capacity is really starting to ramp up. This will happen in the USA soon. The Chinese manufacturers don't have as much of a presence here yet so Tesla has another 6 months probably here.

Psychologically everyone wants the higher specifications. This pricing strategy help takes the sting out of falling prices for Model Y purchasers that just paid $65k+ for their Y. The price of the long range Y and performance might not need to come down as much as they would have otherwise.

I think there is room for the entry Y to fall another 5-7K over the next 2 years for a base price of <$40k, ($32,500 with USA credit) The Y LR will fall $10k slowly during 2 years to $55k. So the CT2 can be priced below $67k. ($59,500 with the USA credit)
Sponsored