Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
These cases are all mentioning "hidden" compartments. The compartments in the Ford chase truck are not really hidden. They are behind panels/bumper but the latches to open them are not hidden and easily accessible. Perhaps the fact that they are unexpected might give the police some motivation to classify them as hidden. But really, what is the difference on that Ford versus a box truck that has various compartments built in for tools etc. Location and use are both the same. Just that the chase truck looks nicer.
Years ago when I'd drive my RV back from Baja. I would almost always have to go into Secondary Inspection at the border. Fortunately after a few questions and seeing all our windsurfing gear, they'd tell us to go on.
Driving into Secondary with that truck COULD be a nightmare. Then again, The Border Patrol folks could just say, "cool truck".

Edit: This is my RV in Baja. It's a 38 mile dirt road into this camp spot. When we would drive up to the Border Patrol, it was obvious we'd just spent a week or more traveling through Baja. :)

Tesla Cybertruck No Cybertruck Side Sails, for sure rvinbaja
Sponsored

Last edited:

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Years ago when I'd drive my RV back from Baja. I would almost always have to go into Secondary Inspection at the border. Fortunately after a few questions and seeing all our windsurfing gear, they'd tell us to go on.
Driving into Secondary with that truck COULD be a nightmare. Then again, The Border Patrol folks could just say, "cool truck".
I had a similar situation once driving a Honda del Sol across the border into Canada. I got a full search including each and every little compartment of that vehicle. One of the things I liked about my del Sol was all the little compartments where things could be put.

But going into Canada, I got asked about my stance on gun control and the vehicle was THOROUGHLY searched. On the way back into the US, I got asked about drugs and they did a cursory look through the vehicle. it became real clear what one would need to do to make money smuggling back and forth across the border.

Tesla Cybertruck No Cybertruck Side Sails, for sure Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 1.37.11 PM

Last edited by a moderator:

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I had been thinking that the original sail storage was pretty small and the bottom was even with the bottom of the door or fold, but I think it may have been deeper than I envisioned. It may have gone all the way down to the top of the wheel well to form a deep pocket. It wouldn't be super well organized space, but a 100' extension cord or a hose could be put in there.

Studying this picture it still looks doable. The 2.5"? flat part above the main bend would make for a lot of strength. There is an even bigger flat spot behind the passenger door. So your opening might only actually be 16" tall tapering to nothing over 5 < feet. I am sure 3rd parties could make some custom shelves or a hook board type arrangement, but the deep pocket would be good enough.

JBee and are on the same page on the exoskeleton. It is not magical uninterruptable stressed skin. The triangle is what is important. Specifically the top cord that goes all the way to the roof peak.

For the cost to benefit the original design is the best in my book. The full quarter panel that hinges or pops out and up would be pretty big with sharp corners and not very useful space. exposed.

IDK it appears to have disappeared for some reason in some of the prototypes. Cost/Complexity/Structural problems.

I want the original.

Tesla Cybertruck No Cybertruck Side Sails, for sure 1656341044742

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I had been thinking that the original sail storage was pretty small and the bottom was even with the bottom of the door or fold, but I think it may have been deeper than I envisioned. It may have gone all the way down to the top of the wheel well to form a deep pocket. It wouldn't be super well organized space, but a 100' extension cord or a hose could be put in there.

Studying this picture it still looks doable. The 2.5"? flat part above the main bend would make for a lot of strength. There is an even bigger flat spot behind the passenger door. So your opening might only actually be 16" tall tapering to nothing over 5 < feet. I am sure 3rd parties could make some custom shelves or a hook board type arrangement, but the deep pocket would be good enough.

JBee and are on the same page on the exoskeleton. It is not magical uninterruptable stressed skin. The triangle is what is important. Specifically the top cord that goes all the way to the roof peak.

For the cost to benefit the original design is the best in my book. The full quarter panel that hinges or pops out and up would be pretty big with sharp corners and not very useful space. exposed.

IDK it appears to have disappeared for some reason in some of the prototypes. Cost/Complexity/Structural problems.

I want the original.

1656341044742.png
I worked out the volume of the sail storage a while back from my CAD drawings, it should be around 140L to the top of the wheel arches on each side. Its about the size of the frunk x2, so definitely worth the hatch to get in there. It's big enough to make a fridge compartment, or for a pull out kitchen setup, or just for powertool/tool/camp storage. Its about 10" (250mm) deep to the inside bed wall, that I still believe is the main structural part that sits on the cast rear frame.

From a cost factor, if its just the hatch on each side with a pop in soft liner, its really just the cost of the hinges, the door strut, a electric lock, a rubber seal, all of which should be in the $50-100 range per side. They still need that peice of steel there if it opens or not.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Hopefully some time in the next 12 months, we will know what solution Tesla engineers came up with.

Personally that pointy end of the triangle is wasted space that wouldn't be very useful. But probably blocked off for the electronics of the tonneau cover switch. Check out this view, the space is very oddly shaped.

Tesla Cybertruck No Cybertruck Side Sails, for sure insidebed

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
I hope the sails have USB ports for battery chargers for power tools, drones, field cameras etc. that are always “live” and I’m going to believe the sails are there cuz Elon has not said anything about not having them.
Also, I hope the frunk has usb and a 110 outlet for electric cooler/warmer that is always “live” as well. That way we don’t have to use sentry mode to make usb work. I would love all “usb” to be active that I can control from my app. truthfully. But, if not, The frunk and sails would be nice.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Hopefully some time in the next 12 months, we will know what solution Tesla engineers came up with.

Personally that pointy end of the triangle is wasted space that wouldn't be very useful. But probably blocked off for the electronics of the tonneau cover switch. Check out this view, the space is very oddly shaped.
The 45degree corners are gone on the later prototypes, they're more square.

Last edited:

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag

insidebed.jpg
It's trick, totally badass just the way it is here. Love the angular tailgate with step, it's an engineering marvel I hope makes it to production. I hate the second prototype's plastic covered bed, don't be covering up my stainless steel bed dude. Don't promise me badass and then deliver milquetoast.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
It's trick, totally badass just the way it is here. Love the angular tailgate with step, it's an engineering marvel I hope makes it to production. I hate the second prototype's plastic covered bed, don't be covering up my stainless steel bed dude. Don't promise me badass and then deliver milquetoast.
The amazing SS bed with what I think were T slots is one of my favorite things about that original CT. Unfortunately, I could easily see that be dropped in the final design because of complexity and cost. One of my favorite videos of the CT was when they offloaded it at the Petersen Museum and that S.S. bed was reflecting everything around it. BEAUTIFUL!

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The amazing SS bed with what I think were T slots is one of my favorite things about that original CT. Unfortunately, I could easily see that be dropped in the final design because of complexity and cost. One of my favorite videos of the CT was when they offloaded it at the Petersen Museum and that S.S. bed was reflecting everything around it. BEAUTIFUL!

Your right! That’s is BEAUTIFUL!! and I have seen this so many times.
I truly missed that.
It’s like everyday I see her I fall in love all over again. 🤣😍

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I cannot wait to see their final design inside and out.
Please let it work soon.
Like today
in a half hour special
around 8pm pt 🤪

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Your right! That’s is BEAUTIFUL!! and I have seen this so many times.
I truly missed that.
It’s like everyday I see her I fall in love all over again. 🤣😍
I look at the Cybertruck, and I see modern art. I personally love the clean minimal design. But just like modern art, some people can't stand it.
I'm with you. When I saw that video, my reaction was. HOLY CRAP, I got one of those on order!!!!!!!!!!!!😍

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag

I was actually taking delivery