Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
BSer
Country flag
I think you are going backward with this idea. You are better getting a damaged Model 3 or Model Y and converting it for desert running.

https://www.teslaoracle.com/2021/08/09/watch-these-guys-build-the-ultimate-tesla-model-3-off-roader/

The setup these guys did is more for mudding, but you could build one out for desert running instead.
Very cool idea , but that modified model 3 would get demolished attempting to run through a woop section of get air.

Not to sound like a "know it all", but that project is a joke compared to what you need a properly built pre-runner or Baja bug to do. I have built a few prerunners (one was even raced) and things like full roll cage, massive coil over / bypass shocks + hydraulic air bumps per tires with a minimum of 15" + of wheel travel up front and 20" + in the rear are essential. By the time you chop up that unibody on the model 3 the only useful thing will be the motor and batteries. absolutely the best idea is only use the battery, controller and motor from the testa. The rest of the car is useless for that type of project.

for reference this is the off roading even modified pick up trucks with Long travel kits can "do":

all EV class 1 bug:

Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Very cool idea , but that modified model 3 would get demolished attempting to run through a woop section of get air.
I said as much in the post you replied to.

A stock bug or any stock ICE car would get destroyed doing the same. The suggestion I replied to was suggesting you take a heavily modified ICE vehicle and convert it to EV. I'm just suggesting you skip ICE entirely and heavily modify an EV.

This is the route future EVs are going, either heavily modified EV or total custom. Using ICE vehicles as a starting point doesn't make sense.

It costs $20-30k or often more to convert a vehicle to EV and you get a pretty crap vehicle. You can get a Model 3 new for $40k and used ones are even more affordable.

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped

Not to sound like a "know it all", but that project is a joke compared to what you need a properly built pre-runner or Baja bug to do. I have built a few prerunners (one was even raced) and things like full roll cage, massive coil over / bypass shocks + hydraulic air bumps per tires with a minimum of 15" + of wheel travel up front and 20" + in the rear are essential. By the time you chop up that unibody on the model 3 the only useful thing will be the motor and batteries. absolutely the best idea is only use the battery, controller and motor from the testa. The rest of the car is useless for that type of project.

for reference this is the off roading even modified pick up trucks with Long travel kits can "do":
It seems your best bet is to use your very particular set of skills to build an EV prerunner chassis thingy from scratch. You can probably design a new chemistry of battery that would be feather weight and more energy dense than the aging tech available in the Teslas right now. I’m not convinced Tesla has it figured out.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It seems your best bet is to use your very particular set of skills to build an EV prerunner chassis thingy from scratch. You can probably design a new chemistry of battery that would be feather weight and more energy dense than the aging tech available in the Teslas right now. I’m not convinced Tesla has it figured out.
If you can design a better battery than Tesla, your skills are wasted trying to build niche sand runners. Lots of places you could make tons of money selling more state-of-the-art batteries.

Sarcasm detection failed.

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
If you can design a better battery than Tesla, your skills are wasted trying to build niche sand runners. Lots of places you could make tons of money selling more state-of-the-art batteries.
It was tongue in cheek bruh lol. Sometimes my humor gets lost in translation.

2000prerunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
BSer
Country flag
I said as much in the post you replied to.

A stock bug or any stock ICE car would get destroyed doing the same. The suggestion I replied to was suggesting you take a heavily modified ICE vehicle and convert it to EV. I'm just suggesting you skip ICE entirely and heavily modify an EV.

This is the route future EVs are going, either heavily modified EV or total custom. Using ICE vehicles as a starting point doesn't make sense.

It costs $20-30k or often more to convert a vehicle to EV and you get a pretty crap vehicle. You can get a Model 3 new for $40k and used ones are even more affordable.

True true . I’m just sayin , at this time , if you really had to have a capable prerunner type vehicle that is also full EV, best option is convert a truck or Baja buggy. In this day. Believe me , the moment Tesla makes a dune buggy or so … I’ll give them a blank check .

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Most of the offroad Jeeps I ran with would break down in any situation with whoops. So I don't think that's particularly notable ^-^. I kept up with them in my Civic until they went where there were ruts 'cause I knew better than to get stuck while they were constantly welding something back on and some truck broke going over bad wash-ruts every outing.

-Crissa

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
ICE will not be surpassed for extreme uses until the next major battery innovation.

If you wanna haul heavy things cross country, or race long races in an EV, then range under extreme load, and fill up times must be improved.
Battery will force new transport architecture like multi-modal did in the 80’s. I expect someone has ring roads, ring tunnel systems around major metros on their boards(metaphor) working on blending range into a system that alleviates congestion at the same time with autonobotic mechanized transport.

A first principles reengineering of the transportation network is due. From cradle to grave(terrestrial, air, water, space and digital) a revolution needs to address the petroleum dependency that is being displaced.

Autonobotic means human hands handle cargo twice; once at origination and again at destination. Customs, billing, routing, SATtracking, inspections and payments processing are built into the transport system. Container reuse will recycle by design, repurpose and engineered for multi-use for multi-functions.

Autonobotic crossdocks smaller containers more often, more easily and faster than forklifts, ramps and load dividers currently employed. Power(drive unit) changes to meet routing and convoyed underground robotically outside metropolises for last mile local delivery. Surface transport gains back its 8AM—3:30PM roadways from long chains of diesel tractor trailers crawling and slowing to a crawl passenger vehicles.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Surface transport gains back its 8AM—3:30PM roadways from long chains of diesel tractor trailers crawling and slowing to a crawl passenger vehicles.
If your goal is to maximize the number of expensive, inefficient people movers in and out of the city, you are already failing. The goal should be maximizing the number of *people* you can move in and out of the city center where business activities take place. That means not just reducing the number of delivery trucks going and and out, but getting rid of most of the cars and having people move by more efficient means. Trams, trolleys, bikes, bus, walking, electric scooters, etc.

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
I read this thread and just see $$$$$$$$$$$
Tesla Cybertruck Off Road Performance 5e3e35d0fac7923bdcf4b94130b9e9b2
Tesla Cybertruck Off Road Performance 3b6inZe

Meanwhile I'm off roading over here on easy roads just hoping I don't break something
Tesla Cybertruck Off Road Performance 14.-Driving-Fail

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
If your goal is to maximize the number of expensive, inefficient people movers in and out of the city, you are already failing. The goal should be maximizing the number of *people* you can move in and out of the city center where business activities take place. That means not just reducing the number of delivery trucks going and and out, but getting rid of most of the cars and having people move by more efficient means. Trams, trolleys, bikes, bus, walking, electric scooters, etc.
Ur right!

Europe leads BEV, passenger rail and about a decade from now USA will pull even as its Giga-metropolises dictate exactly thus. TBH I saw cargo as bandaid to today’s transportation infrastructure conundrum. To wit: Calif High Speed Rail fail due to land costs and political purposing

Vinjanovvw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hybrid
Country flag
To be able to drive off the pavement, off-road vehicles need several characteristics within the Best Off Road Driving Trails in Kansas: They need to have a low ground pressure, so as not to sink into soft ground, they need ground clearance to not get hung up on obstacles, and they need to keep their wheels or tracks on the ground so as not to lose traction.
Sponsored