cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Ahh, okay, I see you're referring to the Ford now.

-Crissa
For the CT, with air suspension, who knows what the range of bumper-step/tailgate height will be

but if in fact it sits on 35” tires, and with a maximum height clearance of >16” (as I remember from release video), the bumper and tailgate (at 90°) height will range from huge to extremely huger

If on 35” tires, at its lowest setting, I would imagine the CT bumper/tailgate gets not much lower than the height of my stock F150L on 28” tires.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
For the CT, with air suspension, who knows what the range of bumper-step/tailgate height will be

but if in fact it sits on 35” tires, and with a maximum height clearance of >16” (as I remember from release video), the bumper and tailgate (at 90°) height will range from huge to extremely huger

If on 35” tires, at its lowest setting, I would imagine the CT bumper/tailgate gets not much lower than the height of my stock F150L on 28” tires.
They can also can raise the front suspension and lower the rear suspension to tilt the tailgate down quite far. On the launch video, the tailgate was even with the knees which is an easy step up.

Of course that demo had no cables on the tailgate and it seems like it lowers beyond the plane of the bed which might not make it to production.

Tesla Cybertruck Only one tailgate option. Why? 1663093534708

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
They can also can raise the front suspension and lower the rear suspension to tilt the tailgate down quite far. On the launch video, the tailgate was even with the knees which is an easy step up.

Of course that demo had no cables on the tailgate and it seems like it lowers beyond the plane of the bed which might not make it to production.

1663093534708.jpeg
yes, why bother with a $200 MSRP option of a deploying manual step when you can instead include a standard front/back independent air suspension for 10X the price and failure points:)

which is to say, I’ll take two!

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
yes, why bother with a $200 MSRP option of a deploying manual step when you can instead include a standard front/back independent air suspension for 10X the price and failure points:)

which is to say, I’ll take two!
The air suspension was there already. This is a software enhancement. Incremental cost is $0 with 0 extra parts to break. Cost was probably… $20,000 in developer time.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

Yeah, also the bed isn't limited by the tires since they're pushed to the outside more than in a Ford.

-Crissa

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Yeah, also the bed isn't limited by the tires since they're pushed to the outside more than in a Ford.

-Crissa
you’ll have to hand-hold me on that a bit more?

as with the Ford, it’ll be limited at minimum by the wheel wells - and in the case of the CT, it seems, the wheel well openings in particular

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

as with the Ford, it’ll be limited at minimum by the wheel wells - and in the case of the CT, it seems, the wheel well openings in particular
Yes, and the prototype had a slightly wider axle width than a Ford F150.

-Crissa

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag

Those wheel well fender flares look pedestrian like a car designer couldn’t stop himself. We’ll see if they carry thru to production.

A third-party aftermarket solution will probably be necessary for meats >37”. Trailer sway on the rear axel and corner loading will be close tolerances. Its on my list of first things to test.

Ford solved tolerance problem using full circular wheel cutout arches in the F-150 design.
Sponsored