Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FORD Expedition, Escape, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I know, that I don't know, anything.

1. I haven't driven a Tesla. So, how does one safely engage it to move forward or back directions?

2. Does it have a Park setting, on hills?

3. What kind of tutorial does it come with? If I rent one, to learn more, what is the learning curve like to drive it safely?
Sponsored

Cyber_Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Siennas (2)
Country flag
3. What kind of tutorial does it come with? If I rent one, to learn more, what is the learning curve like to drive it safely?
A tutorial! Great idea. Probably some on YouTube... think I'll go check. :)

Okay, try this tutorial. It answers your shifting questions. Simple, but good info.

Thanks for suggesting that, I now know more than I did!

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
1)There is a shift lever. Your foot must be on the brake for it to actually "shift".
2)Yes. It is an electrically engaged pawl. There is also "hill hold" mode. You don't have to keep your foot on the brake once you have stopped. This is not the same as Park,
3)Yes, there are tutorials available in the car on the touch screen display.

It will take you 2 minutes to get used to driving it but it is, of course, nice if someone can walk you through the few things you might not pick up right away. Unless you live in one of the states where Tesla can't sell the Tesla delivery people will go through these when the car is delivered.

Go to PlugShare, find a nearby Super Charger, go there and ask some questions. You will probably find someone who will tell you more about Teslas than you ever wanted to know.

OP
OP

Cyber1qhorsey

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Can a anticorrosion under treatment be applied to a Tesla?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Can a anticorrosion under treatment be applied to a Tesla?
I don't see why not but undercoating is pretty high on the list of things that would-be car buyers are warned not to be taken in by. I will say that Tesla is the first outfit that I have ever bought a car from that didn't try to talk me into it.

Last edited:

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
With a stainless steel bottom I am not sure you need anti corrosion under treatment. The suspension and axel components may be the only things that could corrode.

OP
OP

Cyber1qhorsey

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So at a minimum one needs to keep exposed surfaces clean. The CT undercarriage is probably, mostly, 301 stainless. Then, there's the battery frame, motor controls motors, and power couplers as well.
I'm thinking this wasn't such a stupid question after all.

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
You are right that salt will corrode stainless steel. It is a longer time to corrode the metal. A lot longer than the steel used in an ICE vehicle. You should be able to use an undercarriage washer to handle the salt in the spring or raise it to 16 inches in the car wash and spray it down.

Tesla Cybertruck Only Stupid Questions 7DE92BD2-5807-4C48-BAF3-37C9DC8D1C81

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
Re......undercoating. In a lot of the YouTube videos that show people disassembling Teslas there seems to be a lot of screws located on the (mostly) flat bottom of the vehicle. Undercoating would fill in all the slots in those holes making it difficult to remove the battery and other parts for service/replacement. You could prob coat all those screws/bolts with something to keep the coating from sticking to them but that requires extra labor. And if there are smaller panels/hatches those would have to be masked off to keep from sealng them in. Has Tesla even mentioned that in their PR releases? Def food for thought.

Mule Ferguson

First Name
Mule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, Model P3D+, F150. Cybertruck Tri Motor
Occupation
House Husband
Country flag

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Undercoating would fill in all the slots in those holes making it difficult to remove the battery and other parts for service/replacement.
The hex head bolts that hold the quarter panels on (X) are protected by a snap in door so no worries about those.

You could prob coat all those screws/bolts with something to keep the coating from sticking to them but that requires extra labor.
All these fasteners are going to be hex or star head. Even with undercoating there shouldn't be a problem pushing/wriggleing a socket over them. But in any case undercoating will probably be as un necessary in these cars as it is for any other modern production car.

OP
OP

Cyber1qhorsey

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Recent blog posts from Seeking Alpha raised the knotty issue of Tesla's Capital Expense (CAPEX), burn rate in the face of Covid-19. To be brief, Tesla will soon hit the wall, if no cash flow accrues from Giga-Fremont and -Reno product restarts. The Stupid Question is: Why can't Tesla see that it is self cannibalizing sales between model 3 and Y, and between the unnecessary X and Y? With model Y available, personally I would never buy a S, X, or the 3! With Cybertruck available, I would never buy an X! To survive Tesla now needs to rapidly differentiate its products to the Y and CT almost exclusively. Given that, there is no need for extensive CAPEX or long delays for a new CT plant,! Ergo: CT PRODUCTION NOW!
Sponsored