Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
This video is where the conversation starts...

Analogy
to wit:
Horse-> Mechanical horse ==> Horsepower i.e. hp​
Man-> Mechanical muscles ==> Manpower i.e. Man hours/years​
Computer Chip-> Calculation ==> Human Calculator​
SoC-> Synthetic systems==> Synthetic Human i.e.decision trees​
Humanā€”> Human minds==> Synthetic mind i.e.Artificial Intelligence​
Cars-> Human drivers==> Mechanical drivers i.e. Autopilot​
Robots-> Mechanical workers==> Artificial workers i.e.Bots​
Work-> Human work==> Bot work i.e. Networked Bot hiveminds​
Hiveminds-> Virtual knowledge ==> Networked decisions (WallSt)​
Economy-> Human product==> Virtual value streams(Crypto currency)​
Man-> unemployable work==> Artificial non-work​
Bottle rockets-> Man rockets==> Bot Starships​
Organic warming-> Mechanical warming==> manmade heat​
AGW-> Runaway thermal heating==> desertification​
Bot anti-warming-> Virus manmade reducer==> Viral cooling​
Bio cooling-> Bio load reduction==> BioTempered atmospherics​
Systemic atmosphere-> Atmospheric economy==> Atmospheric Temperature Systems​
It took 100 years to get from horse to AGW. Where does the next 100 years go from here?​

Klaxon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
Elon creates the robots because he worries about the Earth depopulation.
The robot manufacturing will be moved to China because of their high expertise in a field of population production.
The China will reverse engineer robots and create an army of its own cyber warriors.
The cyber warriors will be used to exterminate people and reduce the Earth population.
The new robots will be produced, reverse-engineered, used for killing.
And so on ...
I would prefer a Cybertruck
:unsure:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Elon creates the robots because he worries about the Earth depopulation.
The robot manufacturing will be moved to China because of their high expertise in a field of population production.
The China will reverse engineer robots and create an army of its own cyber warriors.
The cyber warriors will be used to exterminate people and reduce the Earth population.
The new robots will be produced, reverse-engineered, used for killing.
And so on ...
I would prefer a Cybertruck
:unsure:
Robots are coming. Soon.

The only question is who gets there first.

Tesla will almost certainly build factories on the continents where they will be used. Likely in a factory near their existing gigafactories. Then the robots will pile into the Cybertrucks and cars and drive to their ultimate destinations. Sort of a Cyber Carpool. Finally, the cars will roll into their new homes.

The robots donā€™t need a war to take over. Weā€™ll invite them into our homes.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Addendum.

Personal theory: Tesla has broken the Chinese monopoly on manufacturing technology products. Their car manufacturing is more cost efficient than Chinese factories on whatever continent they are located on. Or at the very least, they have brought the cost savings down to where the difference is small enough that shipping bulky goods from one continent to the other makes no sense.

Klaxon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
Robots are coming. Soon.

The only question is who gets there first.

Tesla will almost certainly build factories on the continents where they will be used. Likely in a factory near their existing gigafactories. Then the robots will pile into the Cybertrucks and cars and drive to their ultimate destinations. Sort of a Cyber Carpool. Finally, the cars will roll into their new homes.

The robots donā€™t need a war to take over. Weā€™ll invite them into our homes.
The new technologies always were used for the weapons first.
People rarely change their habits

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
pĢ¶rĢ¶iĢ¶uĢ¶sĢ¶ cĢ¶,Ģ¶ yĢ¶oĢ¶tĢ¶aĢ¶ pĢ¶iĢ¶cĢ¶kĢ¶uĢ¶p, ā¼•äø«ā»?å°ŗć‚»å°ŗć„©ā¼•é•æ
Country flag
I just want someone to carry my chainsaw or trail tools on trailwork days. That damned chainsaw is pretty heavy to carry a mile in and a mile out.
a high-end like 15-25k$ drone can carry like 20 lbs

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
I have a habit of remembering stuff in bits. Bad for citing, but I clearly recall what Musk said his intent was with Tesla.

His goal was to "build the machines that build the machines, that build what we need/want." He went on to say that the ultimate goal of AI was one where you could simply say "I want to make an 'x' that does 'y'." The AI would give you a shopping list of raw materials with a delivery location, then dispatch a machine to build a complete factory at that delivery location. By the time you assemble the necessary raw materials a factory would be at the location...

...and then after a few moments, tumbling out of the other side of the factory would be your 'x that does y'.

Found it...

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The new technologies always were used for the weapons first.
People rarely change their habits
New technologies are always used for smut first.

War is a distant 2nd or third.

We already have bots and drones for war. China, Russia, and Iran have hosts of robot death machines.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
a high-end like 15-25k$ drone can carry like 20 lbs
It takes a lot of power to move that much mass through the air. Walking is much lower power and when resting is using zero power. A drone would need to find suitable landing space every time I stopped.

I would love to have a good reliable follow-me drone for other reasons. Have they conquered both object avoidance and following a person yet for a reasonable price? (Under $2k)

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
I suspect robots working on asteroids wonā€™t be humanoid. A spherical shape and thrusters makes more sense. Likely crablike arms to stabilize the shape while it extracts the ore. Almost like a mini-spaceship.

Zero G will make the humanoid form factor a giant liability.
Tesla Cybertruck Optimus Bot Future 1643754753283

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I have a habit of remembering stuff in bits. Bad for citing, but I clearly recall what Musk said his intent was with Tesla.

His goal was to "build the machines that build the machines, that build what we need/want." He went on to say that the ultimate goal of AI was one where you could simply say "I want to make an 'x' that does 'y'." The AI would give you a shopping list of raw materials with a delivery location, then dispatch a machine to build a complete factory at that delivery location. By the time you assemble the necessary raw materials a factory would be at the location...

...and then after a few moments, tumbling out of the other side of the factory would be your 'x that does y'.

Found it...

This reminds me of Muskā€˜s suggestion that he wants factories that are like alien dreadnaughts, giant completely automated machines. It was widely mocked, particularly when they were struggling with Model 3 production.

Then Giga Shanghai happened. Not a lot of laughing any more.

Giga Texas will likely change the tone entirely.

Eye of Elon

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Yaris
Occupation
Driver
Country flag
So really, we need robots so we can have more free time to fuck off as much as we like. That is, until AI deems us parasitic and a danger to the planet, and smears us off the planet.
It'd be pretty easy, at that point, for them to convince us that Earth is no longer viable, and send us off to Alpha Centauri...
Good times!
I think the rich will use the bots to wipe us out first and then the bots will wipe them out.

Not optimus though, Optimus bots will just be weak C3PO's waving their hands ineffectualy as the massacres happen.

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
I donā€™t have a job which a robot can replace so no worries there. At least until they can get AI to teach kids and software like I help write is no longer needed.

I think itā€™s almost exactly the opposite, having a robot along would enable me to do more manual labor and raise the expectations. Itā€™s unlikely these guys will be working completely independently, weā€™ll likely have 1 person for every 3-4 robots. Helping them keep on task and doing the right thing.
No job is safe. Eventually it will be capable. Who knows all school could go to the metaverse.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
No job is safe. Eventually it will be capable. Who knows all school could go to the metaverse.
My backup plan is investing in the most successful robotics company on the planetā€¦ Tesla.

If Robots take over the world, at least there will be a few years in the middle where I will be able to enjoy the fruits of their ubiquity.
Sponsored