Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
So Zach and Jesse have a Disruptive Investing video about the steer-by-wire patent that Tesla has.

Some of the points they make have to do with FSD and ways that FSD could interact with steer-by-wire. Which got me thinking about some other scenarios that an FSD vehicle with all drive-by-wire controls could be used.

Driver Training:
For instance, I'm currently teaching a youngster to drive in an ICE vehicle. I would feel SOOOOO much safer if much of the instruction was being done by FSD. If FSD was fully capable, it could be put into a driving tutorial mode that talks the young driver through what we are going to be doing in the lesson today. Plus, if anything starts to go wrong, FSD can take control and let the driver know why.

Driver Gaming:
With FSD doing the driving, the controls could be used as gaming controls to play driving games without impacting the actual drive. Or one could be watching a movie and the steering wheel could be used to fast forward / reverse or something else for the movie. On the gaming side, if the gaming computer was powerful enough, it could "look forward" to what was coming up in the actual road and change the game so that the road sensations could somewhat match up to the action in the game.

Non-Driver Playing:
My kids have all enjoyed getting into the driver seat and pretending to drive the car. Once vehicles become safe enough or airbags improve to where a child car seat can be in the front, one could have a young kid booster seat in the driver position and let them "drive" the trip with FSD in total control.

Anyone else have ideas for ways to use the driver controls if FSD is in total control of the vehicle?

Here is the video from Zach and Jesse:

Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Great for jokes like:

Just Kidding Road Rage:
On the HWY in FSD, disable the wheel but keep your hands on it. Pull up even with car, stare at driver until you get their attention, look very angry, then suddenly and violently JERK the wheel in their direction. Then laugh together.

Weekend At Bernieā€™s:
When someone in your home passes, get them to the morgue by putting them in the driverā€™s seat and taping their hands to the disabled wheel. Then laugh together.

The Pant Wetter:
While your spouse is driving in traffic, from your phone app secretly disable the wheel. Then laugh together.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I wonder how long driver training will last.

It's like teaching a youngster in 1915 ... learn to ride the horse first, then we will get into the car.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
True. But the laws need to get past it, too.

Not much reason to aim at these ther points of liability until then.

-Crissa

Greshnab

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Software Arrchitect
Country flag
i think tesla's plan is to compose numbers of wrecks in tesla that FSD would have avoided... then go to the government and say last year your laws against fsd killed x number of people

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Official approval will need its stamp. However, within a year or two, we may have one million BETA FSD driving around with no technical interventions for months.

Even now, there would be lawmakers using FSD, when the time comes to approve, they may not need a lot of convincing.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
So Zach and Jesse have a Disruptive Investing video about the steer-by-wire patent that Tesla has.

Some of the points they make have to do with FSD and ways that FSD could interact with steer-by-wire. Which got me thinking about some other scenarios that an FSD vehicle with all drive-by-wire controls could be used.

Driver Training:
For instance, I'm currently teaching a youngster to drive in an ICE vehicle. I would feel SOOOOO much safer if much of the instruction was being done by FSD. If FSD was fully capable, it could be put into a driving tutorial mode that talks the young driver through what we are going to be doing in the lesson today. Plus, if anything starts to go wrong, FSD can take control and let the driver know why.

Driver Gaming:
With FSD doing the driving, the controls could be used as gaming controls to play driving games without impacting the actual drive. Or one could be watching a movie and the steering wheel could be used to fast forward / reverse or something else for the movie. On the gaming side, if the gaming computer was powerful enough, it could "look forward" to what was coming up in the actual road and change the game so that the road sensations could somewhat match up to the action in the game.

Non-Driver Playing:
My kids have all enjoyed getting into the driver seat and pretending to drive the car. Once vehicles become safe enough or airbags improve to where a child car seat can be in the front, one could have a young kid booster seat in the driver position and let them "drive" the trip with FSD in total control.

Anyone else have ideas for ways to use the driver controls if FSD is in total control of the vehicle?

Here is the video from Zach and Jesse:

I suggested (on notateslaapp) a year or two ago an FSD enhancement called ā€˜shotgun modeā€™ which would do some of what you suggest for driver training but could work with any driver. As the name implies, FSD letā€™s you do the driving but takes over any time you are about to do something unsafe or illegal And only until that event passes.

in fact, many of would like to continue driving, so shotgun mode is a good partial step to build trust in FSD and move toward autonomy. It should be noted that we already have a limited form of shotgun mode in emergency braking and lane keeping, but lack it in moving to the side of the road when first responders are detected, etc.

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I suggested (on notateslaapp) a year or two ago an FSD enhancement called ā€˜shotgun modeā€™ which would do some of what you suggest for driver training but could work with any driver. As the name implies, FSD letā€™s you do the driving but takes over any time you are about to do something unsafe or illegal And only until that event passes.

in fact, many of would like to continue driving, so shotgun mode is a good partial step to build trust in FSD and move toward autonomy. It should be noted that we already have a limited form of shotgun mode in emergency braking and lane keeping, but lack it in moving to the side of the road when first responders are detected, etc.
Curious. In a sense we already have shotgun mode but in reverse with FSD Beta. FSD drives till the human decides things are getting too scary and takes over till the scary part is done. In essence it is also being used to teach FfSD to drive.

When you first said shotgun mode though my brain jumped to a shotgun wedding. That would be a whole different scenario.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Great for jokes like:

Just Kidding Road Rage:
On the HWY in FSD, disable the wheel but keep your hands on it. Pull up even with car, stare at driver until you get their attention, look very angry, then suddenly and violently JERK the wheel in their direction. Then laugh together.

Weekend At Bernieā€™s:
When someone in your home passes, get them to the morgue by putting them in the driverā€™s seat and taping their hands to the disabled wheel. Then laugh together.

The Pant Wetter:
While your spouse is driving in traffic, from your phone app secretly disable the wheel. Then laugh together.
I've messed with my kids like that with the steering wheel. We live off a 50mph road and our turnoff is 90 degrees to the road. So, you go down the main road at 50-55 and don't slow down for the turn (but act like you're going to turn, way too fast), spin your hands over the wheel loosely without turning, and go straight.

They are so used to turning there, that they don't even think about going straight. It's great fun! ;) :ROFLMAO: šŸ˜‚

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
With mechanical linkage the front wheels must be linked together. Getting rid of the mechanical linkage frees up the ability to have the wheels move independently. For example, it would allow the ability to do the ā€œdiamondā€ steering mode. Front wheels turned toward each other, rear wheels the same but where they point toward each other at the rear of the car. Right wheels power forward, left wheels power reverse, car rotates in place.
Sponsored