Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S 75D, 2018 Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
just curious from someone that has done it, if i wanted to lets say use my son's address in Florida to take delivery does tesla allow that ? do they require a valid ID from the other state or what hoops did you need to jump through or things you have to provide them to change your delivery/registration address in the app. will they let you register it yourself when you get back to your home state or do you have o treat it as a transfer of registration from the other state ?

just curious thanks !
Sponsored

Lemdawg

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Sales manager
Country flag
I just did this in St. Louis. Tesla promised me that they could deliver up in Missouri but after 90+ days with no vin I changed my registration to my second property in Dallas Texas. Almost immediately after the change inside the app I was given a vin. Had to pay Dallas taxes and will have to pay Missouri tax in 30 Days If I register it up in Missouri. I can confirm that each state has its own delivery timeline based on registration which proceeds reservation.

OP
OP

cgladue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
I just did this in St. Louis. Tesla promised me that they could deliver up in Missouri but after 90+ days with no vin I changed my registration to my second property in Dallas Texas. Almost immediately after the change inside the app I was given a vin. Had to pay Dallas taxes and will have to pay Missouri tax in 30 Days If I register it up in Missouri. I can confirm that each state has its own delivery timeline based on registration which proceeds reservation.
when you changed your delivery address you used your missouri ID and were you going to have it registered in missouri or were you going to register in TX ?

ideally i would like to use my MA ID and take delivery in FL if it has to be registered in FL first then i guess thats fine otherwise ideally i would just register in MA when i get back, i am paying cash, curious how long the title will take to arrive also

Lemdawg

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Sales manager
Country flag
Tesla doesn’t care about what state your drivers license is based on. all they care about is if you have one or not. Cash too. Title is delivered to the registration Address . plates are delivered to the registration address.

OP
OP

cgladue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Tesla doesn’t care about what state your drivers license is based on. all they care about is if you have one or not. Cash too. Title is delivered to the registration Address . plates are delivered to the registration address.
ok but they make your delivery address be the same as your registration address right ?

i cant tell them i want to register in MA but take delivery in FL, in which case i would have to register in FL then transfer that to MA it sounds like

Lemdawg

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Sales manager
Country flag
That is correct. Yes.

OP
OP

cgladue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
How about peoples luck calling tesla to change the state they will pickup in ? do you say the "Real" reason or do you tell them its your second house, or what if your using a buddys address temporarily kinda of thing ? i called and talked to someone in florida and they didnt seem to care the reason or whos address i wanted to use. i am hinking about calling California Location and see how they react, i am thinking they might be more difficult.

FutureTruck

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX P, Lucid Air GT
How about peoples luck calling tesla to change the state they will pickup in ? do you say the "Real" reason or do you tell them its your second house, or what if your using a buddys address temporarily kinda of thing ? i called and talked to someone in florida and they didnt seem to care the reason or whos address i wanted to use. i am hinking about calling California Location and see how they react, i am thinking they might be more difficult.
My son changed his address three times from his original GA address. Between FL where I have an address, to CA where he got a UPS PO Box, then to TX where he had another UPS PO box and when switching to TX he got a VIN within 24hours after changing address to TX.
Tesla does not care, they actually prefer it is my guess as it saves them on shipping cost.

My other son had bought one used with 240 miles on it and it was more costly and more of a hassle than just swapping delivery locations to get a VIN.

OP
OP

cgladue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
My son changed his address three times from his original GA address. Between FL where I have an address, to CA where he got a UPS PO Box, then to TX where he had another UPS PO box and when switching to TX he got a VIN within 24hours after changing address to TX.
Tesla does not care, they actually prefer it is my guess as it saves them on shipping cost.

My other son had bought one used with 240 miles on it and it was more costly and more of a hassle than just swapping delivery locations to get a VIN.
thanks, hopefully ill have some luck ill call them tomorrow, have to pay 1% in tax more then back home but its a price im willing to pay :p

FutureTruck

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX P, Lucid Air GT
thanks, hopefully ill have some luck ill call them tomorrow, have to pay 1% in tax more then back home but its a price im willing to pay :p
Brother if you are worried about $1,300 in tax this is not the luxury vehicle for you :)
Wait until you see the insurance cost :)

armywildcat

First Name
Ambrose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
Just be aware, if you are picking up in Texas you will have to have insurance in Texas. Caused a little problem when I called my agent to add the CT when my current policy was from another state.

OP
OP

cgladue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Brother if you are worried about $1,300 in tax this is not the luxury vehicle for you :)
Wait until you see the insurance cost :)
Insurance is $42 a month for me.

OP
OP

cgladue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Just be aware, if you are picking up in Texas you will have to have insurance in Texas. Caused a little problem when I called my agent to add the CT when my current policy was from another state.
how did you resolve that issue ? did you have to get a seperate provider ? or was your out of state provider able to do things in a specific way to satisfy them ?

armywildcat

First Name
Ambrose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
how did you resolve that issue ? did you have to get a seperate provider ? or was your out of state provider able to do things in a specific way to satisfy them ?
Texas offers Tesla insurance so I started a separate policy with them. It is month to month so once I take delivery I will cancel and switch to regular policy. It was expensive at $266 a month. Hopefully my normal policy will come in lower with a house and multi car discount.

OP
OP

cgladue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Texas offers Tesla insurance so I started a separate policy with them. It is month to month so once I take delivery I will cancel and switch to regular policy. It was expensive at $266 a month. Hopefully my normal policy will come in lower with a house and multi car discount.
i was thinking of doing that too, hopefully the title dosnt take too long to arrive after delivery !
Sponsored