Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I love the light "scruff-scruff" sound of my tires scrabbling at maximum traction as the precision electronic traction control feeds exactly how much power the coefficient of friction can handle.
I can't wait to try to the tri motor out.

With the dual motors, the computers can push power to each wheel. So as soon as the first slip, the power gets reduced to that wheel but not the other. It's similar to what happens with traction control, but without the differential they can do it without braking.
Sponsored

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
My son's parents got a Plaid S. I went for a ride. Sure it was quick, quiet, and comfortable, but I have to say boring at the same time.

The CT will have more utility and will take you to adventures, but something about the driving experience is going away. This really hit me for some reason.

I will miss shifting and working the clutch, a little slip here and there, listening to see if the motor is working at it's best, wondering when the best time to lock hubs etc. I am not sure how I feel about the car taking care of me. It is too easy.

I guess we will just have to get used to it and get that thrill of driving elsewhere.
My solution to your observation is get yourself a toy. My wife and I have a model 3 and I am in queue for a Cybertruck, but I have a 1966 Ford Galaxie that I am building with the intent of driving for fun and the pride of the build. I wouldn't suggest taking on such a massive project, but I would suggest getting a toy that you can maintain and drive when the urge presents itself. I know the thrill of being naughty on a country road where no one else is around. But I also know the thrill of driving a Tesla (and pain too from too many launches in a row). Electric vehicles are just too efficient and Tesla's motors are just too powerful to think about staying with I.C.E.. So, I suggest you get yourself a toy and have fun with it.

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
I think there are a lot of posts that are made up in an attempt to take the shine off the latest and greatest EV's available today. Traditional auto is running scared because they can't offer anything comparable.

I haven't driven the new Model S Plaid, the fastest car I've ever driven is my Model 3 Performance. It's as fast as my Ducati 996 cc motorcycles with four valves per cylinder. The Plaid is ludicrous. Sure, riding as a passenger in a Plaid Model S with a conservative driver would be very quiet and serene, I wouldn't expect it to be exciting. It's a very comfortable, smooth ride.

But driving it would be an entirely different experience. I know with my Performance Model 3, the accelerator pedal is like an extension of my brain with instant response. No sooner have I thought "I want to get up and go", than all four tires are grabbing the pavement and thrusting me there instantly - no delay. It's pretty exhilarating in a way my desmodromic performance Ducati are not. They have delay as the crankshaft and pistons build speed (and the air has to accelerate into the cylinders too). I didn't notice the delay until I got my Tesla. Now my motorcycles feel unresponsive and laggy. They are missing the immediacy of rubber grabbing the road as soon as I tell it to. The Tesla feels like it can warp the space/time continuum. A passenger is not connected to the accelerator so they miss out on the immediacy of it.

The best part is the silence does not disrupt others or draw attention of officers. ICE engines have seen the last of their time on top of the podium, there is a new kid on the block and the world will never go back. Instant power is what we always wanted even though we didn't know it. ICE engines cannot do anything better, people claiming the sound makes them better are stretching for a reason why electric powertrains are still inferior. I don't blame them, it's the only thing they could possibly claim. Unless you like the smell of toxic gases. Some even claim that's why ICE is still better. :rolleyes:
I agree with you as a driver! However, as a motorhead, the attraction to I.C.E. is visceral. It isn't necessarily the sound to the ears as it is the sound to our sense of touch. The feeling of a powerful combustion engine is in the bones and the muscles and it is titillating. With this said, it is a spectator sport and while I enjoy it, I fully realize that engines of this power level are EXPENSIVE AF to build, maintain, and operate. They are not the domain of Joe public, nor are they meant for public space. Also as a motorhead, it pisses me off to have young Jonnie dickhead racing on residential streets with missing exhaust on a weakly stock engine because they equate the noise with power. Electric is better in every... every single way. Including in the neighborhoods where cranky old men like me wanna beat my neighbor senseless for "warming up' his engine in the morning when I just got off work at 2am.
I am enjoying the accelerating move toward EV for many more reasons than the driving experience!

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
the accelerator pedal is like an extension of my brain with instant response
BEV torque under your toe is addictive as nicotene. Plaid?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
It is. Got a green light onto the freeway and a rolling start tonight on the way home. It's only as far as the first onramp, barely 200m, but I went through all the traffic at the light and to the exit in the space pf time it took them to start through the intersection.

And I have the learner-class EV motorcycle ^-^

-Crissa

Last edited:

empiredown

Banned
Banned
First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Carrera T, 20 MY LR AWD, 21 F-150
Occupation
Retired and Loving It...
Country flag
At the end of the day, it's a four door sedan. An utterly capable, apex predator of one. But a sedan in wolf's clothing.

You can place me into the soulless camp. They are. They are conveyances. I love them, for what they are. But they'll never have the same spirit as ICE machines. You can talk yourselves into that doesn't matter, or you may be naturally inclined to not let that matter. But an ICE machine is similarly alive like we are, in ways a BEV conveyance never can or will be.

It's going to take a couple more generations before no one remembers how completely connected you can be to a nicely sorted ICE machine and how it moves every part of you before this goes away. Then it won't matter anyway... Hopefully those generations will repair our damage and dedicate themselves to getting off this rock. They can then have those things to feel good about and not just have to wonder 'what driving around a bomb waiting to explode' was like...

Last edited:

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
I have the motorcycle for that "scruff scruff". Something I've always thought since college and learning about physics in depth was that in my lifetime gas engines will become akin to horses today. Only the super wealthy, special businesses, or total nerds for them will have gas cars in the future.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
I have the motorcycle for that "scruff scruff". Something I've always thought since college and learning about physics in depth was that in my lifetime gas engines will become akin to horses today. Only the super wealthy, special businesses, or total nerds for them will have gas cars in the future.
I've pretty much lost interest in my performance motorcycles since buying my Performance Model 3. I always liked riding motorcycles over driving cars because a good motorcycle would feel so much more connected to my control inputs, more responsive and I could feel every little input affect the machine. But after getting familiar with my Tesla, the motorcycles feel crude and outdated and disconnected from me with huge time delays that I had never noticed before, the car has more immediacy and feels more sensitive, more connected to my control inputs. Before Tesla, I had never experienced that in a car.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
But after getting familiar with my Tesla, the motorcycles feel crude and outdated and disconnected from me with huge time delays that I had never noticed before, the car has more immediacy and feels more sensitive, more connected to my control inputs.
I have a Model Y and while it is a bit heavier, feel much the same about it.

Ironic that one of the main features of a car that is so enjoyable to drive is the ability to not drive it.

It is going to be crazy having a truck that has those same characteristics.

Arekelly

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, Prius
Occupation
Photographer
Country flag
My son's parents got a Plaid S. I went for a ride. Sure it was quick, quiet, and comfortable, but I have to say boring at the same time.

The CT will have more utility and will take you to adventures, but something about the driving experience is going away. This really hit me for some reason.

I will miss shifting and working the clutch, a little slip here and there, listening to see if the motor is working at it's best, wondering when the best time to lock hubs etc. I am not sure how I feel about the car taking care of me. It is too easy.

I guess we will just have to get used to it and get that thrill of driving elsewhere.
"My son's parents" . . . ? Wouldn't that be you?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
But after getting familiar with my Tesla, the motorcycles feel crude and outdated and disconnected from me with huge time delays that I had never noticed before, the car has more immediacy and feels more sensitive, more connected to my control inputs.
Energica. Zero FXE. Damon.

Of course, you aren't allowed to filter in Washington and you have to wear a helmet in an Arcimoto, so I can see the problem ^-^

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Energica. Zero FXE. Damon.

Of course, you aren't allowed to filter in Washington and you have to wear a helmet in an Arcimoto, so I can see the problem ^-^

-Crissa
I don't think you are required to wear a helmet in an arcimoto in Oregon since it has a roof. That may vary by state.
Sponsored