Planning to pick up Cybertruck and drive it to Alaska

israndy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3, 2012 Mitsubishi I-Miev, 2x 2007 Vectrix VX-1, 2000 Honda Insight, 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired from IT
Country flag
Oh, heck. Only three days to charge? Why not just bring solar panels, then you don't need to worry about finding electricity along the way.

Although, until there is a lot of traffic this way, if Tesla set up a Powerpack every ~200 miles with a palet Supercharger and a solar panel awning (perhaps backed up by the grid, but maybe just 120 volts) there would be enough power for the occasional traveler. Although, it might cost more than the 28 36¢/kWh we are (getting) used to paying.

Or perhaps they would become targets for shotgun owners. Not sure how much property rights are respected up there. Maybe they could make the stations out of 30x stainless.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Owner13669

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I would also suggest downloading the ChargePoint app we’re getting their free card. There are a fair number of free charging ports threw them in my area. Do you have to have the card from ChargePoint to use it.
There are even two free DC fast chargers in my rural area on ChargePoint. (One is 25kw.). You can use a card, or a smartphone.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
If you do decide to make this trip, PLEASE document it heavily. Will be very entertaining.

S1d3w1nd3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, GMC Acadia, Ram 3500 Cummins
Country flag
Edmonton, AB to BC border you will need to charge at campgrounds. I highly recommend 50A. I have charged my M3 using 30A but it is at 120V and is slow. Whitecourt, Valleyview, and Grande Prairie campground options. J-1772’s options at Pouce Coupe, Dawson Creek and Fort St. John, but 50A at campgrounds may be faster option. Past Fort St. John you will be relying on campgrounds likely at Pink Mountain and Fort Nelson. Things could be scarce to between Fort Nelson and Watson Lake...looks like Teslin has a campground with 50A and then a CHAdeMo at Whitehorse. From there on to your Alaskan destination looks like campgrounds may be your only option again. If I was doing the trip, I would purchase a Honda 240V generator and give myself the assurance that I can charge and take my time and random camp along the many secluded stretches. It will not be a fast journey, but a great experience.

OP
OP

Skibumak

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra, Cybertruck in 2023
Country flag
Edmonton, AB to BC border you will need to charge at campgrounds. I highly recommend 50A. I have charged my M3 using 30A but it is at 120V and is slow. Whitecourt, Valleyview, and Grande Prairie campground options. J-1772’s options at Pouce Coupe, Dawson Creek and Fort St. John, but 50A at campgrounds may be faster option. Past Fort St. John you will be relying on campgrounds likely at Pink Mountain and Fort Nelson. Things could be scarce to between Fort Nelson and Watson Lake...looks like Teslin has a campground with 50A and then a CHAdeMo at Whitehorse. From there on to your Alaskan destination looks like campgrounds may be your only option again. If I was doing the trip, I would purchase a Honda 240V generator and give myself the assurance that I can charge and take my time and random camp along the many secluded stretches. It will not be a fast journey, but a great experience.
I’m excited to do it! Thank you for all the great info!!

ElectricSheep

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering
Country flag
I am planning to drive from Southern Arizona to Prudhoe Bay, but I will take my Jeep Rubicon and pull and Off Grid Expedition 2.0 trailer. The 240+ miles between service stations is a worry on the Dalton Highway. I am very curious to see the experience you have. I read a great story about two guys I a 2018 Rubicon that drove to Prudhoe Bay with no doors. The Jeep had no issues, but they were warned that if they saw a bear to get the hell out of the area.
Sponsored