Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, silverado
Occupation
veterinarian - retired
Country flag
I've waffled since the unveiling last week, and I'm going to keep my reservation. To me, this is a true do-it-all vehicle and I can see myself keeping this for a long time. Before my Y, I kept vehicles for 2-3 years because I love cars, but get bored with them. I love my Y, just wish it was more rugged and larger. I love the R1S, but the charging network, having to worry about the finish on an expensive vehicle, and the company's financial outlook scare me. The CT is it, checks all my boxes and I can't see anything better coming anytime soon. Now if there's a 3-row CyberSUV I may rethink my decision.
how about the x?
Sponsored

wanders

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CRVEX-LAWD
Country flag
Most people who are self employed manage to write off at least part of a vehicle- drive to the accountant, pick up office supplies etc.
I mean of course. Do you know if there are pretty strict rules about it? Like, you have to be a certain amount of successful to account for this expensive truck?

davelloydbrown

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, silverado
Occupation
veterinarian - retired
Country flag
I mean of course. Do you know if there are pretty strict rules about it? Like, you have to be a certain amount of successful to account for this expensive truck?
Its usually a percentage based on your usage.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
2017 Chrysler Pacifica
TouringFWD9A6.7 sec15.1 sec @ 92.4 mphMotor Trend

Lol
Pretty sure you just proved that minivan doesn't go 6.5?

Also, both that and the odyssey of are only rated for like 1500 pounds cargo, and weigh a ton less than my Mazda. So like the Cybertruck is basically beating your minivan while carrying the equivalent of the car I currently drive.

-Crissa

Last edited:

Balthezor

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover, 2020 Model Y
Country flag
Pretty sure you just proved that minivan doesn't go 6.5?

Also, both that and the odyssey of are only rated for like 1500 pounds cargo, and weigh a ton less than my Mazda. So like the Cybertruck is basically beating your minivan while carrying the equivalent of the car I currently drive.

-Crissa
Close enough!

Someone quoted the Honda Odyssey as 6.5. So there! 🤣

Been meaning to ask you on the other threads. Which version are you planning on getting?

Last edited:

Dave Lyon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350
Occupation
entrepreneur
Country flag
with people i know, it's very common. 40k is where they start looking and 80k isn't unusual.
My truck had a 70k sticker, and it's 10 years old.

I'm not surprised by the sticker price. I figured that's about where they'd come in. My disappointment was the range, payload, and tow rating. At this point, I can't take delivery of the CT because it won't do the job I need it to.

I won't be canceling my reservation though, because I'm way down the list. It could be a totally different truck by the time my number comes up.

Dave Lyon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350
Occupation
entrepreneur
Country flag
It blows my mind mind that people are considering an 80k EV and qualify for the federal tax credit. There is a annual income limit of $300k for married couple. That's so expensive for an income of of equal or below $300k. Or am I missing something?
Yes, what you're missing is net worth. If your net worth is high enough that you can burn 100k without it damaging your retirement, then your yearly income is not important.

In the US, it's pretty easy to become a millionaire without making 6 figures. You just have to be smart with your money.

Dave Lyon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350
Occupation
entrepreneur
Country flag
Wouldn't that be nice. Maybe it's time to start an LLC and work on a business that would use the truck.
Yes, it's nice, but it doesn't excuse a bad decision.

If a 50k truck would do the job, why spend 80K for a tax write off? You'd be better off using the 50k truck and taking 30k as profit.

Dave Lyon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350
Occupation
entrepreneur
Country flag
So if I open a Cybertruck advertising business, and use 100% of the vehicle for advertising, that's a full deduction? lol
Yes, but if you have no income, the deduction doesn't do you a lot of good.

You'd get the exact same deduction if you just gave the money to charity.

beewang

First Name
Bee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Foundation (awaiting delivery)
Country flag
If a 50k truck would do the job, why spend 80K for a tax write off? You'd be better off using the 50k truck and taking 30k as profit.
Except for outside of doing your taxes on Turbo Tax, step-by-step answering the questions and input data, most of you probably don't know how the Internal Revenue Code works, and that's OK as it's not your profession.

To be clear, I have told a few of my clients to go buy a new vehicle before 12/31/23 for anything they want so long it is over $100K and GVW 6,000 Lbs. They do NOT make millions and don't fly in private (or fractional) jets. And they would NOT be better off buying a $50K truck over an $80K one. :p

....be better off using the 50k truck and taking 30k as profit.
That $30K is NOT Profit. Profit = Revenue (or Sales) - COGS
That $30K represents money saved but it is not profit. :geek:
Sponsored