davamanra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra
Country flag
I tried a shorter 208 inch (5283 mm) version by shortening bed of 3% smaller version to about 5 ft from 6.5. It's possible and not terrible but does ruin balance of design I think and would require moving peak and adjusting interior area as well. 208 inch would probably also be good length for SUV / shooting-brake.

cybertruck-length-208.jpg

cybertruck-lengths.gif
I Hope, for the sake of hauling my M/C, that they keep the length of the vault at 6.5.' That was a major selling point for me.
Sponsored

davamanra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra
Country flag
Going with an exoskeleton versus a body-on-frame is a good example of first principles thinking. "How do we engineer a structure to handle our target payload and towing specs?"

Picking a length for the truck is more of a trade-off decision. "Do we want 3.5 inches more cabin space or do we want this to fit in more garages and be easier to drive in the city?"

My guess is they originally decided on more cabin space, thinking they'd be selling primarily to middle America and truck people, but then reservations blew up and it turns out that a lot more city folk were placing orders than expected. That shifted their thinking to "we don't want to lose sales if people realize it's too big for their garage." 20x20 is a common garage size in US but those are external dimensions, meaning original 19'4" CT wouldn't fit.

I can see losing that cabin space could be disconcerting for people with 24 foot garages or planning to park outside. The gain is with an increase in number of units sold, manufacturing cost per unit will be lower, meaning either lower price or better features & capabilities.
All I can say is that if I'm gonna fork over the $$$$ to buy a new vehicle, I'm gonna want to take care of it and being able to garage it is a big part of that.

davamanra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra
Country flag
Just going off on a tangent for a sec, if they ever wanted to do a remake of the old show "Knight Rider," Wouldn't CT make a good vehicle to use? ;)

davamanra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra
Country flag
Apparently the vault is the same dimensions, cabin is likely pushed into the frunk more.
That dash is HUGE!, and shortening the front overhang improves the approach angle.
And the departure angle has been increased dramatically as well!

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
that is pretty much what I did. Sort of.....

After suffering through two garages that were a little short in Denver, (and parking my Ram at an angle), I made sure that when I built the new house, the garage was 25 feet long. So I could park that thing and still walk around it completely with the garage door closed. It was 20'4" bumper to bumper.

So the CT will fit nicely!

I am in the middle of a job relocation and I was looking at perspective homes I found one with a 30Ft garage....its on the short list

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
Will the price now be reduced by 3%
3 % reduce price due to size.png
I was waiting for this question? I’m thinking after hearing about an ALL NEW air suspension Being built for the CT that would of kept things quite. Lol not to mention all the other many things that are mentioned and are not “software” . Seems to be a tremendous amount being offered to the general public for a good price. Just saying? love his openness as well to with us all.

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I was waiting for this question? I’m thinking after hearing about an ALL NEW air suspension Being built for the CT that would of kept things quite. Lol not to mention all the other many things that are mentioned and are not “software” . Seems to be a tremendous amount being offered to the general public for a good price. Just saying? love his openness as well to with us all.
Post 17 on this thread...
"
Did I read that RIGHT!
3%? It's gonna cost 3% less!"

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
Post 17 on this thread...
"
Did I read that RIGHT!
3%? It's gonna cost 3% less!"
I cannot see price drop at all because of ~3% . No way. If that’s the case, then it’s a double edge sword and I’d like it not to be. Lol. To many good things happening that are being added on?. So, but whooooo knows.... it’s all speculation/guessing on all parts.?

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
Give out FSD, Premium Internet Connection., long-range batteries setups .. lol

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I was of course kidding but while we are on the subject )And I've learned that this board doesn't really expect members to stay on topic....
I believe Elon prices a vehicle and then does the Hershey's chocolate manufacturing of the item by putting in as much as he can before going into production mode, and still maintain the announced price (and profit margin).
So if he reduces the size and saves a nickel in materials he'll add it back in something like better suspension.

davamanra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra
Country flag
I was of course kidding but while we are on the subject )And I've learned that this board doesn't really expect members to stay on topic....
I believe Elon prices a vehicle and then does the Hershey's chocolate manufacturing of the item by putting in as much as he can before going into production mode, and still maintain the announced price (and profit margin).
So if he reduces the size and saves a nickel in materials he'll add it back in something like better suspension.
My honest belief is that Elon is trying to make the truck just small enough to fit in as many garages as possible. Even if it costs him a little more to manufacture a SLIGHTLY smaller truck he'll MORE than make up for it with a significant increase in overall sales. This is where I see him leaving other auto manufacturers in his dust by focusing on demand-side economics, rather than supply-side economics.
Sponsored