Mr.Dee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots
Country flag
I wonder what the flag requirements would be for this. LOL

I can imagine some board sticking 10 feet out in front or back swiping pedestrians off crosswalks or sidewalks as the cat goes around corners.
There is no flag required if there is no overhang. Flags are required with 4' or more overhang out the rear of the truck. Since most trucks are about 20 feet long, a 20 ft. board would have no overhang.
Sponsored

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
BUT is it worth it really?
Absolutely.

Having larger items with vault closed allows you to keep them protected in bad weather or in bad neighborhoods. Buy them when you can. Keep them in there and use them when you can.

You can take larger/longer items with you when traveling without them being exposed.

If you have a Boxier item, you may not be able to place in in bed with vault closed due to variable depth of the bed but with mid-gate down you may be able to use the shared space with Cabin to have those items protected.

Being able to use the whole space to sleep in there with vault closed when camping or kicked out of the house (Folding Mid-gate allows you to take those arguments to a whole new level)

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
There is no flag required if there is no overhang. Flags are required with 4' or more overhang out the rear of the truck. Since most trucks are about 20 feet long, a 20 ft. board would have no overhang.
Just thinking in the case of extra overhang, a flag will be so low that many people will not see it. And on the front side I wouldn’t be able to see where the load is so I might need a flag on a stick that is high enough for me to see where the end is. Out the back the camera will probably work.

I’m not expecting to ever actually do this. But I’m sure someone will. And I have a 7 year old son who is constantly asking me, “Daddy imagine if <some ridiculous situation>”. This tends to make me think of all sorts of odd situations.

Last edited:

Mr.Dee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots
Country flag
Just thinking in the case of extra overhang, a flag will be so low that many people will not see it. And on the front side I wouldn’t be able to see where the load is so I might need a flag on a stick that is high enough for me to see where the end is. Out the back the camera will probably work.
Which reminds me, I am interested is seeing how they plan to incorporate the rear camera. My previous truck had a rear camera in the tailgate that, when the gate was open, gave a close-up view of the ball hitch. Since tesla needs to use the camera for other driving systems, I wonder if it will be mounted off the tailgate so the truck can be driven with the gate open.

AustroTom

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.schwaigerdesign.com
Vehicles
2023 MX, 2017 MS, 2018 M3, Slvdo 2500HD,CT Tri res
Occupation
Artistic metal
Country flag
Absolutely.

Having larger items with vault closed allows you to keep them protected in bad weather or in bad neighborhoods. Buy them when you can. Keep them in there and use them when you can.

You can take larger/longer items with you when traveling without them being exposed.

If you have a Boxier item, you may not be able to place in in bed with vault closed due to variable depth of the bed but with mid-gate down you may be able to use the shared space with Cabin to have those items protected.

Being able to use the whole space to sleep in there with vault closed when camping or kicked out of the house (Folding Mid-gate allows you to take those arguments to a whole new level)
See? Who's gonna talk to ELon?:whistle:

Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag

I’m not expecting to ever actually do this. But I’m sure someone will. And I have a 7 year old son who is constantly asking me, “Daddy imagine if <some ridiculous situation>”. This tends to make me think of all sorts of odd situations.
One could drop the tail gate and that would give one an extra 14-18 inches, or more, of haulabilty w/out a flag.

So when all said and done a 20 footer would work perfectly.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
See? Who's gonna talk to ELon?:whistle:
He already knows this is one of the top requested updates. At this point design is complete. No changes until production. He just likes to keep us in the dark to build suspense for a big splash. We were suppose to get the update by new year, now it is 2nd quarter. A lot of folks think this won't be included, I am still keeping my fingers crossed.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
It's unlikely that the midgate will fold. To be weight efficient, stress skin structure requires lateral structural bulkheads. The fwd. end of the box is the perfect location for this. I'm not saying it's impossible but it adds a lot more complexity than the average person would expect.
That's probably why they didn't do it in the prototype, and something I worry about the finished truck.

But I hope that they see the error of this - how limited it makes the cargo and passenger use possibilities - and shift the structure to other points in the truck.

Neat, one could hook up a couple U-brackets, or similiars, to the bumpers and one has an undercarriage holder.
Lay down a couple tie straps, stack the load on them, back the truck over the load, tighten the straps to the truck, and trundle away home at max height.

I have never had a vehicle tall enough to consider this ^-^

-Crissa
Sponsored