OP
BillyGee

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
Depends on business. If you are expected to show with tools and parts, does not look as good without a box truck or van. If you are showing up for an inspection or with small toolkit/dolly, Y will look good to me. In fact, you may get side conversation on how you like the Y.

personal opinion, take with salt and maybe alcohol
I work in kind of a weird niche. The machines I work on are all portable and can be loaded into the back of a Y no problem, but they are used for industrial cleaning applications. Honestly the major factor is cost and based my spreadsheet an mY costs about 50% as much as my truck does to operate and that's with a loan on the Tesla and a paid off truck.

The other aspect is freeway AP, and given that I drive just under 150 miles a day the ability to rely on the car to do the bulk of the driving before I pull up to a site just sounds so refreshing. Not to mention the appeal of a green vehicle in wine country.
Sponsored

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I work in kind of a weird niche. The machines I work on are all portable and can be loaded into the back of a Y no problem, but they are used for industrial cleaning applications. Honestly the major factor is cost and based my spreadsheet an mY costs about 50% as much as my truck does to operate and that's with a loan on the Tesla and a paid off truck.

The other aspect is freeway AP, and given that I drive just under 150 miles a day the ability to rely on the car to do the bulk of the driving before I pull up to a site just sounds so refreshing. Not to mention the appeal of a green vehicle in wine country.
My point of view, the Y will look professional. If the vehicle is seen hindering your performance, this is the only scenario I can imagine receiving a negative impression.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag

But have you considered what you miss out on? At 150 miles a day, you were likely stopping 2-3 times a week for gas. You should be able to eliminate those stops entirely and charge at home.

No more walking through whatever that sticky crap is on the ground outside a gas station convenience store to pick up a Big Gulp or a 48 ounce Coca Cola flavored Slurpee.

Won't you miss the smell of gasoline and urine?

Friday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
I do a similar occupation using a Chrysler Pacifica. I would be in a Y if the Pacy was no longer viable. I have never had a customer judge me due to my vehicle. They just want their stuff worked on or installed or calibrated and get on with their work. I can't fathom why a MY would be considered unprofessional for onsite work.

OP
OP
BillyGee

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
Won't you miss the smell of gasoline and urine?
No, I have a few customers in Oakland, so I'll have that covered.

As far as the recharging, I'm really excited to only have to go to super chargers are exceptionally long trips. Even then, a lot of my customers have destination chargers on site or single phase 220 available. Odds are I'll be saving more than I realize even with my fancy spreadsheets.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
No, I have a few customers in Oakland, so I'll have that covered.

As far as the recharging, I'm really excited to only have to go to super chargers are exceptionally long trips. Even then, a lot of my customers have destination chargers on site or single phase 220 available. Odds are I'll be saving more than I realize even with my fancy spreadsheets.
Oh heck yeah, a lot of wineries have destination chargers. Though if you are only driving 150 miles you probably won't need to worry about range.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I suspect if you drove up in a POS truck with plywood sides they would make you park in the back lot.

The Model Y isn't going to have trouble fitting in anywhere.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I suspect if you drove up in a POS truck with plywood sides they would make you park in the back lot.

The Model Y isn't going to have trouble fitting in anywhere.

Actually, the Model Y might look out of place in the back lot with the POS trucks.

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
With the delay of our N64 trucks I'm now seriously considering a model Y to get my by until then.

However, my business partner seems convinced that a model Y will send the wrong message when pulling up to job sites, but I'm really not convinced that's the case. I do specialty repairs at wineries all over California, so I'd be lugging parts and tools everywhere.

A White model Y pulling up and pulling the toolbags out of the back still seems perfectly professional to me. That said, what do you nerds think?
Late to the thread. You are correct and your business partner is not. Whether it's 1000 acre Gallo or niche Napa, the aesthetic they want to convey is clean. The environment at the tasting room is supposed to be upper class. The press should be free of the idea motor oil, like a model Y. The only place a ICE vehicle "fits" is in the field. In that case, the manager cares about professionalism not the car you drive. If they judge you by your car, then maybe a customer expectations conversation is in order.

I could go on but I would be presuming about your business partner.

OP
OP
BillyGee

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
Actually, the Model Y might look out of place in the back lot with the POS trucks.
Well I guess I'll find out, I ordered the Y to replace my F350 that is massive overkill for my line of work. I'll report back on my irl findings.

Usually I'm not parked out back, I'm in the middle of the crush pads and sometimes halfway in a roll up. An emission free vehicle slipping indoors is an exciting prospect and an easier sell for asking to work inside.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
When was Cybertruck designated “N64”?
I believe he's referring to the fact that the Cybertruck looks like it was right out of a Nintendo 64 game like this one.

Tesla Cybertruck Professional Appearance iu-2

Personally, I'd go further back to Battelzone.

Tesla Cybertruck Professional Appearance iu

Also, an interesting idea for a skin. Matte black with green highlights.

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
Usually I'm not parked out back, I'm in the middle of the crush pads and sometimes halfway in a roll up. An emission free vehicle slipping indoors is an exciting prospect and an easier sell for asking to work inside.
Interesting proposal.

Considering costs, I would imagine TCO for a MY would be less than an ICE. I would imagine the decreased costs would offset any (stupid) clients that would prefer an ICE. I get that machinery and farm folk want dependability, maybe your partner doesn't see an EV as sturdy or dependable because... reasons. Punch some cap for me (because I'm never doing that again!)

OP
OP
BillyGee

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
maybe your partner doesn't see an EV as sturdy or dependable because... reasons. Punch some cap for me (because I'm never doing that again!)
Funny thing is that my partner said I should cancel my cybertruck and get an f150 lightening because "ford will blow them out of the water", he also thinks Tesla will go bankrupt any day now.

The TCO when compared to an F350 is a no brainer from a business perspective.
Sponsored

Last edited: