Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Tesla Cybertruck RAM TRX pickup spotted at Fremont plant for Cybertruck benchmark testing cybertruck-benchmarkin

RAM TRX pickup spotted at Tesla’s Fremont factory in apparent Cybertruck benchmark tests

Posted on April 29, 2021

It appears that Tesla is conducting some benchmark testing on one of the world’s most aggressive and powerful pickup trucks today. Based on recent images and footage from the Fremont Factory, Tesla is putting what appears to be a RAM 1500 TRX through the paces at its test track, potentially as part of the Cybertruck’s development.

The images were captured by Tesla enthusiast and drone operator Gabeincal, who has been providing updates on the company’s Fremont facilities over the past year. During a recent flyover of the facility’s test track, the drone operator was able to locate a truck that looks very similar to the RAM 1500 TRX, arguably the best pickup in the market today. The pickup was on the test track with some Model 3s and a Model S.

While the RAM truck’s presence on the Fremont Factory’s test track has not been explained by Tesla, the presence of testing equipment fitted around the vehicle suggests that the EV maker may be conducting some benchmark testing as part of its Cybertruck development. Benchmark testing is an integral part of vehicle development, after all, as it enables a carmaker to tick off the boxes and ensure that its product is as competitive as possible.

Considering that Elon Musk has noted that the Cybertruck is designed to outdo the world’s best pickups, it makes sense for the company to benchmark the all-electric monster with the RAM 1500 TRX. The TRX arguably stands as the world’s most legitimate supertruck today — larger, more powerful, and faster than the king of performance pickups, the Ford F-150 Raptor. This was highlighted by RAM’s designers, who placed an Easter egg on the massive pickup’s airbox cover featuring a T-rex with a Velociraptor in its mouth.

Tesla’s apparent benchmark testing of the RAM 1500 TRX as part of its Cybertruck development bodes well for the all-electric pickup truck’s potential. The Cybertruck is designed to disrupt both pickups that are designed for serious work and those that are made to perform. There’s no better benchmark for the ultimate all-electric pickup truck than the best traditional pickup today.

The Tesla Cybertruck is expected to begin limited production sometime this year, which seems feasible considering that Gigafactory Texas’ buildout is progressing at an extremely rapid pace. Musk has noted that the first Cybertrucks may be built this year, with volume production of the all-electric pickup hitting its pace next year.

Watch Tesla’s apparent benchmarking activities on the RAM 1500 TRX at the Fremont Factory test track in the video below.

SOURCE: TESLARATI
Sponsored

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
That's cool. If I didn't care about the planet or spending over $1000 per month in fuel, I'd be seriously interested in the RAM TRX. It's awesome. But the fuel costs would pretty much pay for a CT3, which will be even better, so here we are.

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
TRX is a beautiful truck, IMO biggest problem is the 250 mile range on a tank of gas. As gas prices go up I am expecting TRX values will go down

A supercharger is more major maintenance I would like to avoid especially the rebuild at about 200K miles, If i bought one it would be new and sell within 50K miles

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
How about actually seeing the pavement in front of the hood? That seems a decent enough reason not to choose it.

-Crissa
I don't have a huge problem with that. The CT should be much better, but I've always found a big hood helped me with judging the space of my vehicle.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
TRX is a beautiful truck, IMO biggest problem is the 250 mile range on a tank of gas. As gas prices go up I am expecting TRX values will go down

A supercharger is more major maintenance I would like to avoid especially the rebuild at about 200K miles, If i bought one it would be new and sell within 50K miles
Its gas consumption is insane. Here in Canada our gas prices are typically double what they are in the US, and it's only going to grow. I'm paying $1.35 per liter today, and that's not the highest it's been in the last 5 years by a long shot. With increasing gas taxes I expect it to hit $2.00 before too long. The cost to drive a TRX will be ridiculous.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
How about actually seeing the pavement in front of the hood? That seems a decent enough reason not to choose it.

-Crissa
I really enjoy seeing the hood when I look out my windshield.. But I see your point. The TRX seems like it would be similar to look over the bow of a ship.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag

-Crissa
I live this reality in my F350 every day. A mini cooper can be sitting in front of me and if it's too close I can't even tell it's there.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I loved the video. I had never seen that working factory before. It made me realize as fast as Texas is being built, I have to curb my enthusiasm as far as when it will be complete and fully operational.
The best part of seeing them test a TRX is the natural follow up is them testing the CT.
I wonder if this means, they have already put together a CT3 since it is closer in price range to TRX to compare.

I live this reality in my F350 every day. A mini cooper can be sitting in front of me and if it's too close I can't even tell it's there.
I have had too many close calls with my sport car because it is too low and people keep ramming into me if I am driving next to them. So far my peripheral vision and reflex has saved me but I need to get rid of it before I get run over. I had to blow a tire once (with no spare) hitting a curb to avoid a car that could not see me and decided to have a sudden lane change. And that was a sedan, I stay far away from Trucks and SUVs at all cost. It will be hard to be invisible in CT.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
...but I've always found a big hood helped me with judging the space of my vehicle.
A wide hood, sure, but a tall one? You could hide a full-grown adult in front of it.

I know they need space for that engine, but I've had a truck like this take a mirror off my car because he decided he didn't have to check his corners when merging.

-Crissa
Sponsored