Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I haven’t said anything because I’ve been too lazy to work out the physics, and that is because I don’t care. I don’t care because I’ll deal with the range I get - I like the CT and I will definitely tow with it on occasion...whatever the range reduction is. There will definitely be range reduction and the physics calculations won’t change that, nor will they change my interest in the CT nor, I suspect, any of yours. At the end of the day I think that the Tesla truck will fare as well if not better at towing that any other EV truck.
Not that I am not salivating over CT but long range towing is a factor in my decision. CT is suppose to replace two vehicles for me for at least a decade. If I have to get another vehicle because it can’t do something right, I may have to put my heart on the side and make a logical decision. I am not sure I will be able to do it, but I will try.

Having to stop where the chargers are instead of stopping where I want, is a hit I can take. Having more stops than ICE stops, I can do but if you increase the frequency dramatically and combine it with a log charge time and on top of that, if you have to take off the trailer to charge, then you are getting into the territory of is this trip still fun? A good charging experience could eliminate a lot of these problems.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Owner13669

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If you look at No. 46 you will see that there are 6 loads on a vehicle's power source. They vary in relative magnitude depending on driving conditions. Some of them depend on vehicle weight. Some depend on vehicle speed. But drag depends on the square of vehicle speed. So if you drive fast enough eventually drag will become the dominant load. It is not at all surprising that a small trailer could present more drag then a heavier one and therefore, if driven fast enough, deliver poorer mileage.
I didn’t get into the details, but it would definitely depend on what speed you were towing.