Don B.

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
Since you can't see out of the rear window with the Tonneau cover closed, it makes sense to have a rear-view screen instead of a rear-view mirror. And then when towing, Tesla can offer a Cybertruck accessory: a wireless camera that gets placed on the rear of whatever you're towing, and when the CT senses it's towing something, the view from the wireless camera can automatically replace the view from the CT's rear camera. I'd buy that accessory in a heartbeat.
Sponsored

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
Looks like Ford has a wired one for their 2017-2023 F250s.
Via the video (if still works the same) there is an Aux camera option.

Tesla Cybertruck Rear-view "mirror" screen used when towing K5NK582

Tesla Cybertruck Rear-view "mirror" screen used when towing wepfCQN

davelloydbrown

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, silverado
Occupation
veterinarian - retired
Country flag
I
Looks like Ford has a wired one for their 2017-2023 F250s.
Via the video (if still works the same) there is an Aux camera option.

K5NK582.jpg

wepfCQN.jpg

I can't wait to see what the CT has. I presently have a 2009 silverado and at least 5 different trailers. Hooking up the trailers by myself is a real pain as I have to inch it back and get out of my truck numerous times to make sure I am lined up, especially with smaller trailers that fit between my mirrors. Also when I am towing our 26 foot house trailer, even with extended mirrors I can't see anything behind me.

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
I

I can't wait to see what the CT has. I presently have a 2009 silverado and at least 5 different trailers. Hooking up the trailers by myself is a real pain as I have to inch it back and get out of my truck numerous times to make sure I am lined up, especially with smaller trailers that fit between my mirrors. Also when I am towing our 26 foot house trailer, even with extended mirrors I can't see anything behind me.
I had a Jayco camper when my kids were young and my 2003 Ford Expedition didn't have a backup camera so I know what you mean. My kids and wife got decent at hand signals once we worked out a routine.

For hooking up to the ball, the backup camera on most modern trucks would work it seems.

I thought you were talking about *behind* the trailer tho and not *behind* the truck.

Amuma

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Yes it has this, but not as an accessory or external attachment.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
For hooking up to the ball, the backup camera on most modern trucks would work it seems.
on one hand, on the CT we’ve only see the rearward-facing camera on the tailgate

on the other hand, I’ll be surprised if the CT doesn’t have a downward-facing hitch camera view such as is on the modern trucks

Tesla Cybertruck Rear-view "mirror" screen used when towing F956310F-0906-427A-9E2A-252AFBD27B94

Some like the Lightning, the truck does the driving to center the ball

maybe the CT’s rearward-facing camera is novel to Tesla, and is able to somehow pivot or change perspective from wide-angle rearward to instead narrow angled downward?
🤔

rodmacpherson

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Security Architect (IT/Infosec)
Country flag
Tesla can offer a Cybertruck accessory: a wireless camera that gets placed on the rear of whatever you're towing, and when the CT senses it's towing something, the view from the wireless camera can automatically replace the view from the CT's rear camera. I'd buy that accessory in a heartbeat.
Why would the truck need to sense that it is towing? if the addon camera is powered on it is towing. You aren't going to have it turned on wasting its battery if you aren't using it.

OP
OP

Don B.

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
I had a Jayco camper when my kids were young and my 2003 Ford Expedition didn't have a backup camera so I know what you mean. My kids and wife got decent at hand signals once we worked out a routine.

I thought you were talking about *behind* the trailer tho and not *behind* the truck.
I was talking about adding a Tesla camera behind the trailer so the Cybertruck can sense it and route its video output to the rear view "mirror" instead of the usual video output from the CT's rear camera. This would help the driver of the CT to see what's behind the trailer.

OP
OP

Don B.

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
Why would the truck need to sense that it is towing? if the addon camera is powered on it is towing. You aren't going to have it turned on wasting its battery if you aren't using it.
Rod, when not towing, the CT's rear-facing camera video would be seen on the rear view "mirror". But when towing a trailer, the image from the truck's rear-facing camera would be onscured by the trailer. So with a Tesla wireless "backup" camera placed on the rear of the trailer, the CT could sense that and automatically replace the video on the rear-view "mirror" with the video from the Tesla camera that's on the back of the trailer, so the driver of the CT can see what's behind him as he's driving. If this isn't an accessory that Tesla will sell, then I'll have to get a standalone wireless backup camera for the rear of the trailer that has it's own screen that's sits on the dash, which is what's normally done.

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
I was talking about adding a Tesla camera behind the trailer so the Cybertruck can sense it and route its video output to the rear view "mirror" instead of the usual video output from the CT's rear camera. This would help the driver of the CT to see what's behind the trailer.
My bad. I was thinking of davelloydbrown's response.

Your situation matches what I posted that Ford is doing.

rodmacpherson

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Security Architect (IT/Infosec)
Country flag
Rod, when not towing, the CT's rear-facing camera video would be seen on the rear view "mirror". But when towing a trailer, the image from the truck's rear-facing camera would be onscured by the trailer. So with a Tesla wireless "backup" camera placed on the rear of the trailer, the CT could sense that and automatically replace the video on the rear-view "mirror" with the video from the Tesla camera that's on the back of the trailer, so the driver of the CT can see what's behind him as he's driving. If this isn't an accessory that Tesla will sell, then I'll have to get a standalone wireless backup camera for the rear of the trailer that has it's own screen that's sits on the dash, which is what's normally done.
It seems we are actually talking about the same thing.
What I was saying is the truck doesn't need to detect that it has a trailer, though I am sure there are a number of ways to do that. Just when the accessory camera is on, it automatically replaces the backup camera in the rearview mirror, and if desired the built-in backup camera could be selected in the main screen, just as in any Tesla when you are driving.
There is no need to detect a trailer, just have an on switch on the accessory camera.

wanders

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CRVEX-LAWD
Country flag
I'm not even sure if wireless cameras are advanced enough to provide what you're wanting. High res+traveling at 60mph+, what protocol do you expect this live feed to transfer over? Bluetooth?

cal

First Name
cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla plaid, 2012 Tundra
Occupation
retired
Country flag
How can the rear view (or lack there of) with tonneau cover closed be legal? If they can require a side mirror wouldn't there be a requirement that the windshield mirror vision be unobstructed?

Don't get me wrong I love not using it but really shocked that the internal rear view mirror is seen differently than the external side mirrors.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
How can the rear view (or lack there of) with tonneau cover closed be legal? If they can require a side mirror wouldn't there be a requirement that the windshield mirror vision be unobstructed?

Don't get me wrong I love not using it but really shocked that the internal rear view mirror is seen differently than the external side mirrors.
it will be video on main screen, tonneau up or down

the physical mirror on windshield will hopefully be removable, seeing how it will be largely useless, even when tonneau is up
Sponsored