Rear Spoiler for the Cybertruck…thoughts?

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Focus. They got bigger fish to fry right now.
Range for the Cybertruck is actually one of the bigger items on the Cybertruck right now. They are in the middle of optimizing the heck out of it. Which can be seen with better battery charging curves recently.
Sponsored

rizvend

First Name
CyBrNrD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybrtrk, aptera reserved
Occupation
Nurse Informaticist
Country flag
Range for the Cybertruck is actually one of the bigger items on the Cybertruck right now. They are in the middle of optimizing the heck out of it. Which can be seen with better battery charging curves recently.
Yep it's happening. That and FSD. BOOM!

Kuiper__Belt

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck - Cyberbeast
Occupation
Telehealth Solutions Architect
Country flag
It won't. I don't think that it can.

Spoilers are generally for increasing rear axle down force. To create that force, you have to steal power from somewhere, and that's the airflow.

So pretty much by definition, a spoiler is going to disrupt the airflow and create drag, increase the CoD and reduce range.

It's pretty much identical to sticking your hand out the window. It's going to be pushed back by drag, period. But you can create positive or negative lift by angling your hand.
But the higher the angle of your hand, the more it gets pushed back.

Like I said, spoilers are generally for negative lift or down-pressure on the rear axle for more traction.

The Cybertruck already has a big battery doing that.
So if we’re going for looks instead of function could that be achieved with an open honeycomb or porous construction of the spoiler? Yes no matter what you would always create a small amount of drag, but maybe that would reduce it enough to make it negligible? Or what about having the spoiler tilted back in such a way it’s actually causing a very small amount of lift instead of downward pressure?

cybercuh

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Land Cruiser, 95 Supra, AWD CT VIN 50XX
Country flag
Yall are giving the incel camino meme more ammo 🤦‍♂️

Tesla Cybertruck Rear Spoiler for the Cybertruck…thoughts? 48ujdvtegks31

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
So if we’re going for looks instead of function could that be achieved with an open honeycomb or porous construction of the spoiler? Yes no matter what you would always create a small amount of drag, but maybe that would reduce it enough to make it negligible? Or what about having the spoiler tilted back in such a way it’s actually causing a very small amount of lift instead of downward pressure?
All I mentioned earlier was to basically be prepared for range reduction. Others have blown that out of proportion.

Any lift, positive or negative is the result of energy stolen from the wind stream and hence an increase in CoD.

Sure there are ways to minimize it.

And the reality is that there's a lot of "new to EV" folks out here that think range is the most important thing. It's not. Folks driving Tesla have given up range for looks or function for years. Just look at the range loss between the 2-motor and the Beast.
It's the same with the wheel covers, they increase range.

But except for the 2 days of the year when you are on a road trip, you don't even think about range.

Kuiper__Belt

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck - Cyberbeast
Occupation
Telehealth Solutions Architect
Country flag
All I mentioned earlier was to basically be prepared for range reduction. Others have blown that out of proportion.

Any lift, positive or negative is the result of energy stolen from the wind stream and hence an increase in CoD.

Sure there are ways to minimize it.

And the reality is that there's a lot of "new to EV" folks out here that think range is the most important thing. It's not. Folks driving Tesla have given up range for looks or function for years. Just look at the range loss between the 2-motor and the Beast.
It's the same with the wheel covers, they increase range.

But except for the 2 days of the year when you are on a road trip, you don't even think about range.
I agree people forget that anything that reduces range on electric vehicle does the same on a gas vehicle lol. For now, it is more important to increase range as much as possible on electric vehicles, but when the day comes that they change battery technology so that it drastically changes range no one will give a flying flip. lol

and agreed, 99% of the time range won’t matter because I’m gonna plug it in after my 20 mile round-trip daily commute to work and back.