MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FORD Expedition, Escape, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Recent Rivian vids (ads) about offroad capabilities are astonishing. Highly adjustable suspension height, 4 axle motors, 400 mile range, 3 sec - 0 to 60, huge storage, $ 61 K ish with tax rebates... Cybertruck has a true ev rival...
Sponsored

Balthezor

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover, 2020 Model Y
Country flag
Recent Rivian vids (ads) about offroad capabilities are astonishing. Highly adjustable suspension height, 4 axle motors, 400 mile range, 3 sec - 0 to 60, huge storage, $ 61 K ish with tax rebates... Cybertruck has a true ev rival...
I hope they come out with it. They haven't produced anything yet so I don't want to get too excited but competition is always good.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
The 60k price is not gonna come with 400 mile range and 3 sec 0-60. That entry priced Rivian is probably more closely comparable with the $39k CT. Also.. the Off road capabilities in the video dont look all that spectacular. I would be more interested in how long it can LAST being treated that way.

alexbeau

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.youtube.com
Vehicles
Current: F250 Super Duty - Future: Dual Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Youtuber
Country flag
The 60k price is not gonna come with 400 mile range and 3 sec 0-60. That entry priced Rivian is probably more closely comparable with the $39k CT. Also.. the Off road capabilities in the video dont look all that spectacular. I would be more interested in how long it can LAST being treated that way.
I was just about to say this. I would predict that they are doing the classic automaker tactic of talking about your top end specs along with your lowest end price. Everybody does this, including Tesla. Ex. "0-60 in 2.9 Seconds, 14k lbs towing, starting at $39,900". But once you look into it you realize all of those are technically true individually, but not together.

This is all speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if the rivian base model had:

$69k price
2WD/dual motor (one for each rear wheel).
6 or 7 seconds 0-60
250 miles of range

I believe the top end spec with quad motors and all the options will approach or exceed $100k. Again, I don't know this for certain, but I believe this truck is going to be a luxury toy and not for the masses. I don't think the average person will be able to afford this thing in it's higher specification trim. On top of that, the lower-spec trim will probably not be competitive with Tesla's offering.

Don't mean to come across as a Tesla "Fanboi", or a Rivian hater, but I would be shocked if this thing was massively popular at the price they are talking about. That being said, I hope it sells well and allows them to scale and make a more affordable offering! More Evs is a good thing!

Eye of Elon

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Yaris
Occupation
Driver
Country flag
I'd prefer "huge" storage in one big vault, not split between a short stumpy bed and a pretend engine compartment up front. If it had a long bed, it would be worth considering.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Dang, Rivian and Nicola have huge bankrolls, for companies that have never even sold a product. Those Rivian videos are very well produced. That can't be cheap!

Riptide

First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps
Country flag
Dang, Rivian and Nicola have huge bankrolls, for companies that have never even sold a product. Those Rivian videos are very well produced. That can't be cheap!
My wife is a film maker, and I have some experience with developing budgets for her projects. She could make that 2.5 minute off-road video for under $25k. That said, Rivian probably paid more, but I doubt they paid more than $100k for the video. You've got one camera (could be an iPhone), one drone, and one shot from an on-vehicle Go-Pro camera, transportation costs to the location, one camera pro could do all of those shots, no lighting, easy sound that one sound pro could do (or which could all be done in post if you wanted to but they probably didn't), minimal to no kraft services since the shoot could be done in one day easy, they probably just went to a local diner to eat, perhaps one or two nights in hotels, and then post-production costs, including music rights.

Not a big deal.

VI Tesla

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck
Country flag
Could someone please link these new ads?

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Rivian R1T QM, R1S QM, Zero S ZF
Occupation
Electric Bum
Country flag
I actually canceled my Rivian truck pre-order so I can focus on the Cybertruck which is more suitable to my needs than the "smallish" mid-sized RT1 with its tiny bed...

VI Tesla

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck
Country flag

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electric Bum
Country flag
My issue with Rivian is charging. Will they build charging stations at all off road sites?

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I watched the unveiling of the Audi eTron prototype. Insert giant yawn here.

granted we are talking apples and oranges here. I looked at it and thought, “Nice.” That was it. It was pretty boring compared to Cybertruck. It looked like every other SUV or crossover. If it drove past you right now you wouldn’t notice it. Nothing about the range, features, etc.

Big Auto is in trouble.

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electric Bum
Country flag
And Tesla's advertising budget: 0...
Sponsored