Rivian shouldn't even be in the picture. Cybertruck or Lightning are the only contenders

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance
Country flag
For me, the battle is between CT and F Lightnig. Rivian is not even in the picture. The reason why Rivian is not in the picture is because I'm looking for a rugged vehicle that can be abused body wise. If you get a dent on Rivian's bed panel that warrants a replacement, youre out $20K. So all these videos of Rivian's traversing tight boulders are marketing propaganda. Any small slip can cause $20K worth of damage.

Im not saying that CT can handle these same scenarios or that CT is cheaper to fix. But I think we can all agre that CT is more rugged body-wise and is closer to a real truck than Rivian is.

I have a R11277 reservation and an order for cyberbeast. LIke the rest of you, after obssesively checking any developments and getting a little bit disappointed with the wait time for cyberbeast, buying a rivian has not crossed my mind - regardless of what these youtubers like Jerry Rig Everything or Out of Spec say. For me, its either the Cybertruck or Ford (although Out of Spec recommended Ford). F Rivian.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yeah, the bed size and wheelbase makes me think the Rivian is a completely different class of truck than the Lightning and Cybertruck. I want to carry things, heavy things, bulky things.

The fact the Rivian costs more both initially and to repair also puts it out of my reach.

These are all good points!

-Crissa

XCeilidhX

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model S, awaiting CT RN112786958
Country flag
I don’t know if similar aftermarket underbody armor is available for the R1T but the unplugged performance mods for the CB/CT also would doubly protect the underbody even more than stock which would further boost the CT’s “ruggedness” in comparison with the Rivian as well for those concerned about the ability to beat up the vehicle without damaging it. Just another point in favor of the CT courtesy of the aftermarket if that is a factor in people’s comparisons. FWIW

Cheers

Jager

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model 3 LR AWD, Several Motorcycles
Country flag
Most of us here are rooting for the Cybertruck, or we wouldn't be here.

But the constant need to rationalize whatever choice we've made - like that's the one, pure truth and anyone making a different choice is an idiot - gets a little tiresome.

Trucky

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma until delivery
Occupation
Chief Investment Officer
Country flag
My uncle has the R1T. It’s more like a Tacoma and yeah it’s painted but it’s a very nice vehicle. Not sure why the lightning is any better it’s just as prone to damage. Different strokes for different folks. Who knows if the rivian didn’t hit the market so quickly we could be waiting like the roadster 2 people.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
For me, the battle is between CT and F Lightnig. Rivian is not even in the picture. The reason why Rivian is not in the picture is because I'm looking for a rugged vehicle that can be abused body wise.
If you think the body of the F-150 Lightning is rugged or tough, it's because you were fooled by advertising telling you that it was tough. I can tell you "tough" is the wrong word to describe the body of an F-150. It's made of flimsy sheet metal that is painted with normal automotive paint that is not any more damage resistant than a regular car. When you drive it on a trail that's overgrown with brush draging along the bodywork, it's not pretty. If there is any dirt or mud on your truck, the branches leave long scratches in the soft clearcoat the length of the vehicle. Sure, you can use a buffer to polish them out but the clearcoat is very thin and soon you will be through to the even softer paint.

If it's windy, watch out in parking lots, errant shopping carts will blow across the lot and if it picks your Ford truck, the shopping cart will win. Because a regular shopping cart is tougher than a Ford truck. It has to be because the Supermarket can't afford to hire body shps for their shopping carts.

If there is a hailstorm, your Ford truck is not very tough, if you think it is, it's because you were fooled by the media:

Tesla Cybertruck Rivian shouldn't even be in the picture. Cybertruck or Lightning are the only contenders 1705765182027

But don't feel bad, Ford spends literally billions of dollars advertising, in the U.S. alone, and a large portion of it is focused on their most profitable product, the F-150, telling you how it's "Ford tough". They can't get busted for false advertising because there is no real standard defining what is "Ford tough" and what is fragile. By definition, I guess it really is "Ford tough", as if that means anything.

Ford Annual Advertising Spend in the United States in BILLIONS of dollars:

Tesla Cybertruck Rivian shouldn't even be in the picture. Cybertruck or Lightning are the only contenders 1705761294030

To add insult to injury, these billions of dollars spent on TV, in newspapers and radio, and online, is literally their customers money! They take the money right out of their customers pockets so they can buy big ad blitzes telling their customers (and potential customers), that their trucks are "Ford tough". Their customers love being treated like this because they keep opening their wallets up and coming back for more!

I was fooled once, never again. Actually, I wasn't really fooled in 2009 when I bought a new Ford truck, I knew it wasn't tough, but no one offered anything different. Now we have a choice.

Last edited:

Trucky

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma until delivery
Occupation
Chief Investment Officer
Country flag
If you think the body of the F-150 Lightning is rugged or tough, it's because you were fooled by advertising telling you that it was tough. I can tell you "tough" is the wrong word to describe the body of an F-150. It's made of flimsy sheet metal that is painted with normal automotive paint that is not any more damage resistant than a regular car. When you drive it on a trail that's overgrown with brush draging along the bodywork, it's not pretty. If there is any dirt or mud on your truck, the branches leave long scratches in the soft clearcoat the length of the vehicle. Sure, you can use a buffer to polish them out but the clearcoat is very thin and soon you will be through to the even softer paint.

If it's windy, watch out in parking lots, errant shopping carts will blow across the lot and if it picks your Ford truck, the shopping cart will win. Because a regular shopping cart is tougher than a Ford truck. It has to be because the Supermarket can't afford to hire body shps for their shopping carts.

If there is a hailstorm, your Ford truck is not very tough, if you think it is, it's because you were fooled by the media:

View attachment 35589

But don't feel bad, Ford spends literally billions of dollars advertising, in the U.S. alone, and a large portion of it is focused on their most profitable product, the F-150, telling you how it's "Ford tough". They can't get busted for false advertising because there is no real standard defining what is "Ford tough" and what is fragile. By definition, I guess it really is "Ford tough", as if that means anything.

Ford Annual Advertising Spend in the United States in BILLIONS of dollars:

1705761294030.png

To add insult to injury, these billions of dollars spent on TV, in newspapers and radio, and online, is literally their customers money! They take the money right out of their customers pockets so they can buy big ad blitzes telling their customers (and potential customers), that their trucks are "Ford tough". Their customers love being treated like this because they keep opening their wallets up and coming back for more!

I was fooled once, never again. Actually, I wasn't really fooled in 2009 when I bought a new Ford truck, I knew it wasn't tough, but no one offered anything different. Now we have a choice.
The 350 king ranch is actually plastic at the doors. Embarrassing

Cybergirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model Y SR, Cybertruck AWD FS
Country flag
I don't mind people having personal preferences for this vehicle or that. I do hate it when people dishonestly cut down one product in order to boost another. An honest comparison of two products on some aspect of design or performance is useful, however, in making an EV buying decision. For example: If bed length and payload capacity is really important to you, both the Cybertruck and the Lightning are superior to the Rivian. If road trip range is important to you, all three are in the running for your dollar, but the Tesla Supercharger network gives Cybertruck a significant advantage. If price is going to make or break your decision then the Ford Lightning should be high on your list. Durability, aftermarket accessories, interior appointments, ADAS, resale value, manufacturer...there are dozens of criteria that go into deciding which vehicle to buy or not buy. What's important is that a decision is made on the basis of facts, which is not easy these days with facts often difficult to distinguish from fallacies.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The Lightning has a more mature parts department and should be cheaper to repair than the R1T.

Tho Hauling is right, it's not very cheap to repair, either. Everything is relative.

-Crissa

Art O'Connor

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), 2010 Chevrolet K2500HD PU
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Country flag
Yeah, the bed size and wheelbase makes me think the Rivian is a completely different class of truck than the Lightning and Cybertruck. I want to carry things, heavy things, bulky things.

The fact the Rivian costs more both initially and to repair also puts it out of my reach.

These are all good points!

-Crissa
I think the only real competition for CT is Chevy's 4WT. The Rivian is Tacoma-sized. The Lightning has very bad range. CT also has bad range, currently, but I am sure Tesla will shortly transition to the new batteries and fix that. So, it basically comes down to: do you want something that looks like a 1960's pickup or do you want something that looks like the future? Oh, and as others have pointed out, the CT will survive an encounter with an errant shopping cart.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think the only real competition for CT is Chevy's 4WT. The Rivian is Tacoma-sized. The Lightning has very bad range. CT also has bad range, currently, but I am sure Tesla will shortly transition to the new batteries and fix that. So, it basically comes down to: do you want something that looks like a 1960's pickup or do you want something that looks like the future? Oh, and as others have pointed out, the CT will survive an encounter with an errant shopping cart.
No, everything is going to have 'bad range' by that definition. Hardly anyone is going to get the 4WT.

-Crissa
Sponsored