sadowjo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Charging from a generator is a controversial topic with previous Tesla models - for good reason. It somewhat defeats the purpose, and small generators are pretty useless. But - hear me out.

The Cybertrick's 500+ mile range is going to be fine for me 80 percent of the time, and that is why I ordered one. I have a Dodge RAM 3500 diesel. I am trying to decide if my new Cybertruck will be able to completely replace it.

I like to do a lot of outback camping, and I also sometimes work in remote locations in Northern Canada. Diesel is readily available, superchargers... not so much.

For example, my last trip (moose hunting) involved towing a 26' trailer 700kms, off-grid camping, a lot of driving around, and pulling the trailer 700kms back.

Now, it could easily be said that the Cybertruck just isn't meant for that - and you may be right. However, unlike other Teslas, this one has a "vault" that can carry thousands of pounds. It seems to me that a big 1500 pound generator of some sort with 500 pounds of fuel that could be loaded into the vault for times like these could make the difference for some of us that would otherwise need to keep another truck around....

Hopefully my explanation above is enough to prevent a flood of "That defeats the purpose" replies.... :)

Thoughts?
Sponsored

OP
OP

sadowjo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Another option - a ridiculously large battery pack that could be loaded into the vault to quadruple the range. It wouldn't get the "Unlimited range with access to diesel" above, but would then likely meet 95 percent of my needs.

Cyber_Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Siennas (2)
Country flag
Generators work fine. As you say, "it defeats the purpose" but the bottom line is that they work. You're circumstances are a great example. Your mileage (MPG) is not important. Getting back home is.

Camper Van Someren

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Focus RS, 2015 Sienna AWD, 2002 Ranger
Country flag
Another option - a ridiculously large battery pack that could be loaded into the vault to quadruple the range. It wouldn't get the "Unlimited range with access to diesel" above, but would then likely meet 95 percent of my needs.
A detachable battery would also be nice (as would the trailer with an auxiliary battery idea) but probably quite expensive. I like the portable generator idea for overland camping etc. I have heard that you need to be careful of the generator type to get one with a very consistent current to keep the charging system happy. Your average cheap generator may not work.

Ilmoftah

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck - Twin Engine
Occupation
CEO
Country flag
Charging from a generator is a controversial topic with previous Tesla models - for good reason. It somewhat defeats the purpose, and small generators are pretty useless. But - hear me out.

The Cybertrick's 500+ mile range is going to be fine for me 80 percent of the time, and that is why I ordered one. I have a Dodge RAM 3500 diesel. I am trying to decide if my new Cybertruck will be able to completely replace it.

I like to do a lot of outback camping, and I also sometimes work in remote locations in Northern Canada. Diesel is readily available, superchargers... not so much.

For example, my last trip (moose hunting) involved towing a 26' trailer 700kms, off-grid camping, a lot of driving around, and pulling the trailer 700kms back.

Now, it could easily be said that the Cybertruck just isn't meant for that - and you may be right. However, unlike other Teslas, this one has a "vault" that can carry thousands of pounds. It seems to me that a big 1500 pound generator of some sort with 500 pounds of fuel that could be loaded into the vault for times like these could make the difference for some of us that would otherwise need to keep another truck around....

Hopefully my explanation above is enough to prevent a flood of "That defeats the purpose" replies.... :)

Thoughts?

The Sine Wave output must be pure to charge a Tesla. Thinking a 3k to 4k generator with a pure sine wave inverter would do the trick.

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
I am hoping that the charging infrastructure in Canada improves a lot in 2 years. If not I will be looking for a solution to charging. Right now in Northern Saskatchewan it is a long drive between chargers and the 800 km CT is the only viable option most of the time but not all the time. I may have to rent for trips with no other option.

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
I know it seems sacrilegious to use a generator to charge an EV, but owning an Alta motocross bike, it's how it's done at the race track!

I had the same thought, occasionally carrying a small diesel generator that can charge the CT when other charging options are not available.

I have a 8.5kw 3 cylinder diesel generator that's very compact, quiet, and weights about 600lbs. I think there would be some work to be done to ensure it's compatible with the Tesla Wall Connector, but it's certainly doable. I have a 12.5kw generator I'm building that will come in around 650lbs, this generator should provide the Tesla Wall Connector with enough power to charge at it's rated 11.5kWh.

I don't plan on carrying around a generator in the back of my CT all the time. I'd like to tow my motorcycle trailer, or possibly the Airstream trailer, to the races. Once I'm there, though, I'll need to charge up the truck to get home.

I think I can make a good looking, quiet, efficient diesel generator that could slide right into the CT's vault, nestled up towards and below the window. No one would be the wiser when it wasn't in use.

chalevoixboy

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GL450, Mini Cooper, Porsche 928
Occupation
Operating Director
Country flag
On the other end of the spectrum, I ordered the 2WD with a 250 mile range. In the example above, wouldn't it be a more affordable option to just rent a diesel or gasser when you need to go remote? I manage a plant 200 miles from my home and plan on renting a vehicle for that trek (no charging at the hotel or plant, yet.) It solves my future charge limitation and may be a more affordable option.

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
Small diesel generators are sorta a hobby of mine. I probably have most everything I'd need save for determining what type of sine wave the Tesla charger will accept.

I would certainly put this idea of mine in the "over doing it" category. But sometimes doing just that is fun, even if it's just for seeing peoples' reactions!

chalevoixboy

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GL450, Mini Cooper, Porsche 928
Occupation
Operating Director
Country flag
Small diesel generators are sorta a hobby of mine. I probably have most everything I'd need save for determining what type of sine wave the Tesla charger will accept.

I would certainly put this idea of mine in the "over doing it" category. But sometimes doing just that is fun, even if it's just for seeing peoples' reactions!
I think it is great that you are using your skills and materials to create your solution! I built a diesel generator to power my pole barn that doesn’t even have lights! But if I ever needed it..........

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag

I'll let the heavens provide me the juice..
Tesla Cybertruck Remote Charging My power source

Ilmoftah

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck - Twin Engine
Occupation
CEO
Country flag

The sine wave has to be perfect or the computer will not allow it to charge.

Bfitz822

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Dual Motor
Occupation
Airline Pilot
Country flag
Did you consider the Solar Cover option with the fold out panels? They are supposed to provide the equivalent of 30-40 miles worth of charge. If your trip lasts several days in relatively clear conditions, you should be able to get 45 -60 miles of charge over 3 days conservatively...

Probably a lot more in sunny conditions.

Cyber_Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Siennas (2)
Country flag
The sine wave has to be perfect or the computer will not allow it to charge.
I just need to know if you speak from experience.

I ask because many have charged from generators and I have yet to hear of actual sine wave issues. Maybe they were lucky, or had better generators. Mine is a cheap 50 amp 10k gen, but I have never tried charging a Tesla.

Is this a real issue with Tesla charging or a red herring?
Sponsored