Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
that is a very good point if my m3p is anything to go off of....
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
This is kind of irrelevant but I wanted to ask how loud massive tires like the ones on the Cybertruck are at speed? How comfortable are they (jittery, bumpy, etc)? Thanks for any help!
I had a Landcruiser with large knobby tires and they were very noisy at highway speed. But good soundproofing could mitigate a lot of that I bet.

empiredown

Banned
Banned
First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Carrera T, 20 MY LR AWD, 21 F-150
Occupation
Retired and Loving It...
Country flag
Going to be a sticker shock with required tire size especially after no oil change costs.

I turn into a crotchety old man when paying for consumables. ?
Nope...

Tesla Cybertruck Replacement tire price will be a shock PXL_20210709_162543551

Pay to play. And as far as wear out... I have a set of BFG All-Terrain A/T K02s on the Taco going to 40K. Second set... It's all in how you use/rotate them, dudes...

SS

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I wonder if they could design tires to run at multiple tire pressures. Like at 40-50PSI, the smooth center of the tread pushes out and it's an efficient tire, then at lower pressures, maybe starting below 35 psi, the nobs on the edge start to grab a lot more. I know lower pressure tires have a lot more grip at lower pressure regardless. but this would help more with mud and sand without interfering with driving on pavement. Obviously this would only be interesting if you could quickly change tire pressure, but the Tesla does that right?

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
The big shock to the uninitiated will be how often you will likely have to replace the tires. The tires will be a standard size and you will be able to buy tires that are used by many other trucks out there. But due to the higher initial torque and how fun Teslas are, many Tesla owners wear their tires out between 20k and 30k miles. The truck tires have more tread depth and might last a little longer, but will still see reduced life if one has fun with their Tesla.
Two watch words on Big tires. AFTER BEV torque which Tesla excells at, is your #1 tire consumer of tire tread:
1) Air pressure - famous for cupping, unevean tread wear. Nitrogen .vs. compressed air which can compresses moisture content along with air.

So Nitrogen became a $200 thing to maintain tire balance, control psi and void water inside a tire. Nitrogen is bullshit marketing from the studies done on ambient heating and psi. It is not saving you the watchful responsibility of checking tire pressure rise in Big tires as you travel. Temperature can rise in my 35ā€ tires varies in desert on asphalt from 57F early AM to 118F midday while ambient air is only 90F. Asphalt depending on angle to Sun Iā€™ve registered 128F in 90F ambiet Air. Youā€™ve been warned about asphalt.

A Daily Driver on 35ā€ tires with ~33 psi AM tire pressure rise to the mid 40ā€˜s psi. They get bounc-y over 50 F so its a practice to equalize psi on all four. DOUBLE important while towing, a Big tire will build heat up faster and overshoot temperature very quickly. Most quickly on the tires facing direct sunshine by 7ā€“10F simply parked. Rolling you can have 80 psi on one tire and a tire shaded from sun will read 72-75psi. Towing loaded with 10 ply tires these normally start the day at 60 psi and rise. Nitrogen donā€™t negate temperature driven psi rise either. But Nitrogen is less prone than ambient air.

2) Tread wear! Second only to over-twitching your toe on all that Plaid torque, more than any other factor, suspension on all four corners experience bumps, force and shock independently. Things move around, adjust and settle. Shit happens! Those are Big ass tires on CT. they will rebound into Cybertruck suspensions with exponential force. Steel bends. CTā€™s suspension can damage rubber tire wear just being out of alignment. One curb strike at speed, a rock runover or pothole from hell us all it takes.

//////// Sidebar ////////
Curves are a thrill. More so on twisty country roads. None more fun than mountainous roads! Cybertruck will handle like a go cart on rails. Those curves at speed arenā€™t free. CT in a short 30 mile down a mountainous twisty curv-y descent can grind 50% more tire tread off the front independent front suspension(IFS) tires than the back!
//////// end ////////

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
I wonder if they could design tires to run at multiple tire pressures. Like at 40-50PSI, the smooth center of the tread pushes out and it's an efficient tire, then at lower pressures, maybe starting below 35 psi, the nobs on the edge start to grab a lot more. I know lower pressure tires have a lot more grip at lower pressure regardless. but this would help more with mud and sand without interfering with driving on pavement. Obviously this would only be interesting if you could quickly change tire pressure, but the Tesla does that right?
You will have a blast with Cybertruck. You are just the tire kicker, edge finder pilot (hair afire)kind of driver to dial-in a CT.

Below 15lbs. youā€™ll want a special wheel engineered to run low tire pressure in rockcrawler fun! Ausiies make a rimless beadlock that you should checkout your CT exploits get low and slow.

Aussie beadlocks run an air bladder inside the tire affixed to your wheel that depends on inflation separately to hold the bead against rim.

Ran Aussie beadlocks in Mohave with 4-7 psintire pressure for years. NBD.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The point of nitrogen isn't to negate temperature change - it's that it has a steady expansion rate across all temperatures while water and other gasses do not. So plain air will expand/contract more over the same temperature range.

Not defending the practice, as the difference is negligible, but that's what it's supposed to be doing.

-Crissa

OP
OP

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
The best I coaxed maximin mileage on tires was 64,000 on stock 97 mustang tries. Rated 40k tires. Though, I should replaced at 60k mark but never had time. No threads showing, with tread was more of a suggestion than present.

Just joking around since there is barely any consumable cost, besides charging, until large ticket items creep up every so many years.

I dislike paying the bill but a vehicle always feels awesome with new tires. obe of my early bikes, replaced stock tire off a Nija, new performance tires felt like they stuck to the ground and could hold the bike up standing still. Too bad the feeling went away soon after riding a switchback road near where I live.

I still reserve the right to complain to myself when I need to pay the bill.

Last edited:

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
If your question is if the CT will have a Central Tyre Inflation (CTI) I doubt it at this point in time.
Although if it did it would hands down beat any other pickup EV.

CTI is a $15k option in Merc trucks etc. The main technical difficulty is getting air pressure to the wheels so that you can keep that pressure whilst the wheel can freely rotate. The merc unimog does this by pressurizing the whole live axle. Others do this by running a hose externally to the middle of the wheel hub, around the other side of the tyre. (looks ugly, prone to damage)

I have been thinking of an alternative option, where there is a small compressor mechanism inside the wheel itself that is run electrically instead. Or one that pumps using the wheel movement and two solenoids. Downside with that one is it can only pump if the wheels turn, but unless you have a puncture should work fine for off-roading. You could then add Aussie style beadlocker inserts so you'd have runflat options.

As for using tyre pressure to increase/reduce the contact patch. This happens already, but note that it also depends on the compounds used, the tyre sidewall stiffness, tread pattern etc. Note pressure = force over area. So changing the tyre pressure or contact patch won't necessarily reduce rolling resistance, because it obviously also can't reduce the total vehicle mass. It's actually fairly important to keep the tyres at the manufacturers rated pressure for best performance, because they a specifically designed to offer the best compromise at that particular pressure.

CybertruckAgent

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
This is kind of irrelevant but I wanted to ask how loud massive tires like the ones on the Cybertruck are at speed? How comfortable are they (jittery, bumpy, etc)? Thanks for any help!
LOUD. Itā€™ll be amplified by the usual Tesla quietness. I would expect extra attention to sound dampening in the wheel wells and possibly even active noise cancellation via the sound system inside the car.
Tesla may make some demands of Goodyear to assist with noise, like how the stock Michelinā€™s on other models have a reduced tread depth, but small engineering changes can only go so far. A Mud Terrain tire is going to hum and roar at highways speeds.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
You just described what every off-roader does. I run 35-37 street pressure in my Jeep, and about 12-13 for dirt/rocks/sand. The tire deflect, squats, and puts down a different profile and surface. I have an onboard compressor and a hose that goes to all four tires at once to air up when leaving the dirt. The CT has been announced as having an onboard air system.

The CT has been shown with the exactly same Goodyear MT/R tires I've run for a long time, but with a larger wheel diameter. I ran 35x12.50/15 and it looks like the CT is running 35x12.50/19 (I know the first two numbers are true, the wheel size is just a visual estimation). They are not production tires. They may not ever be, who knows.

I got an easy 55k miles from a set of tires, even with a lot of off-road abuse and hundreds or thousands of miles of low-pressure running. I towed on the highway also. And I replace tires before they are thin, so I think they would have done over 60k if someone wanted to push it.

Short...I expect this is not a big deal for the CT.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The CT has been announced as having an onboard air system.
I know it has an onboard compressor. Iā€™ve heard conflicting comments about whether it would be able to inflate the tires automatically.

If it canā€™t do that automatically. It would be cool if you could set the computer to a tire inflate mode where it would give a tone when you hit a target pressure. So youā€™d pull up the page on the console, set ā€œ15 psiā€, then go out and let air out of the tires until it pings.

flamaest

First Name
Fabian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
One other way to get a new set of wheels/tires for our CTs will be from all of those new cybertruck owners that want to change out their OEM wheel packages for something else, right after delivery.

Just like you may have seen after the model 3 came out, there are dozens of people that want to sell their OEM wheel/tire packages for dirt cheap to cover their new sets, and their loss is your gain.

I for one will be looking to pick up second set from someone on these forums, just to have on hand, as soon as the CT starts selling.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
It would be crazy to buy tires and let them sit around unless you drive a lot of miles. In my climate, tires really get sketchy after about six years, which is the mileage lifetime too at an average 10k/year. In colder places they might last longer, don't know. But many tire places will refuse to repair or deal with tires with a date code over six years.

I know it has an onboard compressor. Iā€™ve heard conflicting comments about whether it would be able to inflate the tires automatically.

If it canā€™t do that automatically. It would be cool if you could set the computer to a tire inflate mode where it would give a tone when you hit a target pressure. So youā€™d pull up the page on the console, set ā€œ15 psiā€, then go out and let air out of the tires until it pings.
What do you mean by "automatically?" I doubt that it will have through-hub hands-off inflation. I expect we will have to hook up hoses like I do now. The Jeep goes into an inflation mode automatically that updates the pressure display every few seconds. You just watch it and hit the compressor switch when it's done. I think it might have some further automation or beeps you can set, the display is fine with me.

Here is the hose setup just after making it up and testing it.

Tesla Cybertruck Replacement tire price will be a shock 1627940518425
Sponsored