Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Total surprise, was just about to go to bed and happened to look. Told the wife. She said “have fun, I’m too tired” (it was her 39th anniversary present even). ?
You give me hope. And that is dangerous. Now I have to explain to my wife why I am checking emails every night. I have a feeling, after 5 years, when I am about to give up, she is going to ask: didn’t you change your email address 4 years ago?
Sponsored

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
You give me hope. And that is dangerous. Now I have to explain to my wife why I am checking emails every night. I have a feeling, after 5 years, when I am about to give up, she is going to ask: didn’t you change your email address 4 years ago?
correction to previous : 30th anniversary

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
As I've stated before, the reservation order for Model 3 only mattered while they ramped up. early reservers got early access. Then in June of 2018, they suddenly just sent out an email to EVERYONE and said "first come, first served".

I ordered that night, and got an estimate of an October delivery. We had the car by July 21.
I remember reading stories about Elon and Tesla later in 2019 about what they were going through with the Model 3 production. I think the circumstances have changed drastically since that time.

Tesla was actually at risk of going under. It's hard to believe since they have grown so large and have done so well. But Tesla almost went bankrupt twice I believe; once when they were starting and once during the model 3 production.

I don't know the full details but I do know that Tesla invited everyone to place their orders in June of 2018 like you said, and I'm assuming that was one last hail mary to try to earn some capital, product cars faster, and just get a head of all the problems that were piling up. Tesla also had to worry about complains with paint and panel gaps through this whole time too.

Now Tesla is thriving. Instead of a tent in a parking lot, they are construction the largest building in the world to be their factory. They are producing cars at a growing rate, have customers all over the world, an extremely impressive charging network, and an army of fans that love their vehicles and want more to come.

I hope i'm not wrong but I don't think Tesla will do the same sort of thing as they did with the model 3, they don't really have a reason to at this point.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The mass call was sort of a mistake; the letters were supposed to go out in batches, but flubbed.

Which, well, that happens.

-Crissa

akcoyote

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model S; Dual motor CT w/FSD reservation
Occupation
retired
Country flag
In answer to the original question and relative to what I recall reading here and there, I believe there are at least 3 items that could affect when one gets the chance to complete their order and take delivery of a CT:
  • order of reservation;
  • variant (single/dual/tri motor) and trim options. I believe as previously noted they will produce batches of identical vehicles;
  • logistics. It has been stated that deliveries will be by region.
Personally, I am hoping the upper Midwest will be one of the first areas to see deliveries. :sneaky:

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
Personally, I am hoping the upper Midwest will be one of the first areas to see deliveries. :sneaky:
Based on visibility of the vehicle, Texas and California will probably be first. The Midwest may fill in later since they need to show this thing as a work truck, but I anticipate that after the first two zones.

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
With Model 3 they did:

Employees first. Then SpaceX. Then they started contacting reservation holders by number, and filled the ones that matched what parts (trim) they had on hand.

There are always some cars that get returned. Or the buyer wanted a different trim after all. Or their check bounced. Whatever. So that created a pool that later buyers could 'jump ahead' into - if they had a matching leftover car, you could get it on the spot. Sometimes that would even be at the show room, but usually just on the web page.

They'll contact using the email and phone you gave them. The configurator will be launched and it'll be on the news.

If they're battery constrained, the tri-motor may not come first. If they're motor constrained, the tri-motor definitely won't be, which is what their original plan called for.

When they start calling people, you'll be offered an up-sell. Or to fit to the parts and trims available to get it faster. And sometimes, if you're willing to pick it up at a service center further away, but usually not. They usually preferred to fill orders nearer to their service locations first.

-Crissa
For Model 3, early sales (2017) to reservation holders that were not employees were prioritized by location and previous ownership of a Tesla. A lot of the first owners were close to California and to people that already owned another Tesla.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
For Model 3, early sales (2017) to reservation holders that were not employees were prioritized by location and previous ownership of a Tesla. A lot of the first owners were close to California and to people that already owned another Tesla.
Yeah, I forgot that part!

They haven't done that since, though.

-Crissa

Monkchoi

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Impreza 5Dr Wagon
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Country flag
Thank you all.

I was just thinking there was a scenario where people could walk into the store and buy one on the spot while some of us were still sitting on our reservation.
Kinda like walking up to the counter at Whataburger when there's 20 cars at the drive thru.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Being up in Canada, I wonder what level of priority we get? If you want product exposure in truck country, my neck of the woods is it. including mine, there are 5 preorders in my town and I'll wager 25% of the city at a low estimate drives trucks.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
I will get mine, I get mine. Simple as that. I have no control over it, so I don't stress it. Enjoy.
I reserved mine on launch night, so as long as I get it before next year's wine harvest I'll call it a win.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Based on visibility of the vehicle, . The Midwest may fill in later since they need to show this thing as a work truck, but I anticipate that after the first two zones.
"... Texas and California will probably be first."

I wonder if state laws about selling only through dealerships will influence the choice of early locations.
Sponsored