Willie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Cybertruck AWD FS
Country flag
The #1 reason why I reserved a CT is because of the super durable and ultra hard stainless steel exterior. Goodbye door dings, paint chips, fading clear coat, waxing, etc.
I am at 1,500 miles and I already have 2 small rock chips in the metal on the front stainless panel.

Are they really noticeable? No

When do I see them? When Iā€™m up close drying the truck after a wash.
Sponsored

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Hi all, I'm still getting a lot of different opinions on this topic (and mostly NOT from people who have reserved or currently own a Cybertruck.) I've heard that the rust issue people mentioned is only surface rust and can easily be wiped away with a cloth soaked in the right solution. Is this true? Because while I don't like the idea of having to remove rust spots from my truck on a regular basis, I LOVE the stainless steel look. Fingerprints and all!

About the wrapping option: Would a wrap completely protect a Cybertruck from getting any surface rust? What's the best kind of wrap in terms of durability? And of course, what happens if the Cybertruck catches a sharp edge an the wrap tears?

Thanks for your help!
My Cybertruck was delivered clean and shiny. After my wife and I touched it a lot, it had some fingerprints on it, but it still looked amazing. Then I took it off paved roads and got a bunch of mud splatters and dust on it. I couldn't see the fingerprints anymore. It still looked amazing, maybe even more amazing. Then I washed it with a truck washing brush and a bucket of soapy water, the fingerprints and mud/dust were gone and it looked radiant. Then it got more mud puddle splatters on it and some pollen. It still looked amazing. The fingerprints don't show up as much after I washed it.

It looks so good dirty I'll probably not wash it until I feel like it. Sure, t has some bugs stuck to the front, but who cares? Complete strangers keep telling how good it looks, I don't think I'll be wrapping that beautiful metal in plastic film. I haven't seen any rust, the stainless they use is more corroision resistant than 316 marine grade. It doesn't need wrap unless you want more plastic in your life.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
My Cybertruck was delivered clean and shiny. After my wife and I touched it a lot, it had some fingerprints on it, but it still looked amazing. Then I took it off paved roads and got a bunch of mud splatters and dust on it. I couldn't see the fingerprints anymore. It still looked amazing, maybe even more amazing. Then I washed it with a truck washing brush and a bucket of soapy water, the fingerprints and mud/dust were gone and it looked radiant. Then it got more mud puddle splatters on it and some pollen. It still looked amazing. The fingerprints don't show up as much after I washed it.

It looks so good dirty I'll probably not wash it until I feel like it. Sure, t has some bugs stuck to the front, but who cares? Complete strangers keep telling how good it looks, I don't think I'll be wrapping that beautiful metal in plastic film. I haven't seen any rust, the stainless they use is more corroision resistant than 316 marine grade. It doesn't need wrap unless you want more plastic in your life.
A few months ago, I saw a pickup on the road, it was lifted and had a hitch receiver.
As high as it was, I could easily see into the receiver. It was perfectly black, no paint scratches at all. And from the cleanliness of the rest of the truck.
And when the rear tailgate is like 5 ft off the road, you know no one is using it.

It was obvious that it was actually being used as a SUV, wait, probably more like a station wagon.

It appeared to have never acted like a truck once in it's life.

A truck is like a kid. It feels best in the mud! And hopefully we all still have kids inside us that get out periodically!

GatorCyber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model X
Occupation
Real Estate
Country flag
BLUF: Get it wrapped! LOL

Wrapping is an investment. Once yo start if you have OCD you would have to get it done regularly again if it starts to show wear.

But if you donā€™t wrap you risk 8-10 years of elements as I would never spend hours each week cleaning and polishing the SS.

IMG_5920.jpeg

IMG_5919.jpeg

IMG_5918.jpeg
dude, why don't you go where you belong to the Lightning forum, with the others who have an inferiority complex over their trucks

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I'm kind of curious about how much added weight a wrap adds to the vehicle, and whether the added weight would have a negative impact on range?

tumblr_olq4n9pZ5X1ririjeo1_500-1465881924.jpg
The tanks aren't orange normally, they're white, but turn darker with age out in the sun.

Originally they added the paint to keep the insulation from aging, so it wouldn't break apart, but further flights they decided they didn't need to.

This led to the destruction of the Columbia, and the death of the Astronauts on board after a piece of foam broke from the unprotected, aged insulation, fatally damaging their heat shield, which failed to protect the spacecraft upon re-entry.

The Atlas V (retired this year) and the SLS remained with bare foam because they do not have exposed parts which could be damaged by a piece of the insulation breaking off.

-Crissa

CybertruckRN1127

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, Model X
Country flag
I'm wrapping mine because I'm done trying to clean the CT. It's the worst part of the truck and regret buying it. I rather save myself any further headaches and just going to wrap it. I think once wrapped I will love the truck.

Also, I already had a door chip on mine the day after delivery. I think someone opened their door into mine. The steel scratches very easy too. If you don't believe me, let me rub my fingernails on your Cybertruck.

CybertruckRN1127

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's very hard to take pictures of the CT as the camera can't focus.

I'm not really here to change your mind. I don't care if you wrap or not, but I am PPF'ing my Cybertruck. I just suggest you do the same if you want a nice clean Cybertruck. Scratches like these happen with any cars. Cybertruck is not that special. It just harder to dent.

1000007448.jpg

1000007450.jpg
1000007455.jpg

Factory scratches all over for reference.

1000007456.jpg

Only wrapped Cybertrucks are clean from scratches and mirror like.

1000007457.jpg

CybertruckRN1127

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Looks pristine to me.

Wear marks will happen with a wrap, too. And unlike the steel, will scratch from fingernails.

-Crissa
I'm fine with the default factory scratches. The extra scratches buffs out too I bet, but I'm pushing that into a future problem. I am PPF'ing and not worry for the next 5 to 7 years for me. I don't care if the PPF gets scratched and can't heal in the Sun. It's just less to deal with in the future. PPF is disposable so I don't really care. Kind of like plastic utensils and paper plates where I don't worry about taking care of them. At least I know, I will have less scratches to deal with 5+ years from now.

Oh, I just noticed you're not the OP. Anyway, he should just keep the truck as-is and see if he wants it wrapped or not. It's all personal decisions and only he can decide. I decided to get mine wrapped because I was tired to trying to keep mine clean. It's a lot harder to keep clean than a painted clear coat car.

dandor

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, and Cybertruck
Country flag
How much was the ppf wrap?
I think the cheapest price you will get for PPF installed is around $6000. I had a few quotes. Just the material alone is probably around $2500 for nice PPF.

My price is $8500 with PPF, ceramic coat, and every window tinted.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I think the cheapest price you will get for PPF installed is around $6000. I had a few quotes. Just the material alone is probably around $2500 for nice PPF.

My price is $8500 with PPF, ceramic coat, and every window tinted.
There was a guy who got material for $750.

So there's a wide range of prices.

-Crissa

plaidmodelx

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Plaid Model X, Dual Motor Performance Model X
Country flag
Mine will only be washed with soap and water. Weā€™ll see how the NY winters treat it next year. I want the thing to tarnish and look aged like it came from space.
Whatā€™s the most impressive feature that people comment on? The steelā€¦so why cover it? If it looks terrible in a couple years then Iā€™ll wrap it.
Sponsored