Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual motor
Occupation
Student
Country flag
I give you the 1978 Lotus Esprit:

Tesla Cybertruck Rival designer calls Cybertruck design "Iconic. Brutal. Perfect." 1607998108464

"first of designer Giorgetto Giugiaro's polygonal "folded paper" designs."
Elon Musk cites this car as an influence.
“Cybertruck doesn’t look like anything I’ve seen bouncing around the Internet. It’s closer to an armored personnel carrier from the future.” - Elon Musk

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I give you the 1978 Lotus Esprit:

1607998108464.png

"first of designer Giorgetto Giugiaro's polygonal "folded paper" designs."
Elon Musk cites this car as an influence.
“Cybertruck doesn’t look like anything I’ve seen bouncing around the Internet. It’s closer to an armored personnel carrier from the future.” - Elon Musk
Body shells from 1976 Lotus Esprit were used in a 1977 James Bond film "The Spy Who Loved Me" for a Bond car that could also drive underwater. Elon Musk actually owns the car submarine prop from the movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet_Nellie

KrodEKid

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota corolla, Mazda 5
Country flag
Come on, dude. Just say it. It's an ASSAULT TRUCK. An Urban Assault Truck. There, I said it. Get ready world, when this thing hits the streets every car designer is going to be wishing they designed it. ?
A UAV? Urban Assault Vehicle ? who else gets it?

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
The shape or design of most vehicles answers to consumer tastes etc. For trucks there is a clear preference for the boxy "traditionalist" masculine aesthetic. Marketing for trucks make this obvious...the gravelly voiced narrator, images of trucks spraying dirt and mud in all directions and the soiled, sweaty masculine epic working warriors identified by their machines.

Ironically, a slow moving shopping cart can dent the thin sheet metal facade of modern vehicles; tough trucks included.

The CT clearly was derived by a different mindset. Just like the WWII jeep was designed to replace the horse by allowing it to go where needed in purest utilitarian fashion, the CT design answers to the requirements of its manufacture and the fundamental requirement of maximum toughness, economical, and minimum material/aerodynamics for an EV.

Arguing its looks misses the point. What is a truck?

Maybe in 30-50 years when CTs are still on the road or in work fleets this will be a bit clearer.
Sponsored