Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Rivian’s electric truck features include air compressor and AC outlets

It's got storage compartments galore, plus an extending truck bed.
JONATHAN M. GITLIN -

Electric vehicle startup Rivian is moving closer to production of its innovative-looking trucks and SUVs. The first launch edition R1T pickup trucks are expected in June, with series production models arriving at the start of 2022. And even though I'm not really a truck person, I remain as fascinated now by this new entrant into the most quintessentially American part of the vehicle market as I was after first seeing one in 2019.

Ahead of those initial deliveries, the company reached out to share some of info about the R1T, which looks like it will offer Swiss Army knife-levels of versatility to its owners. It's about the size you'd expect of a full-size pickup truck: 217.1 inches (5.51 m) long, 81.8 inches (2.08 m) wide, and between 72.1-78.3 inches (1.83-1.99 m) tall depending on whether it's in kneel mode (ground clearance: 8.7 inches/0.22 m) or off-road mode (ground clearance: 14.9 inches/0.38 m).

The big lockable cargo area under the hood (also known as a frunk) can stash 11 cubic feet (311 L) of stuff. And at the rear, you'll find a tow hook capable of pulling up to 11,000 lbs (4,989 kg). It lives beneath an aerodynamic cover when not in use.

Battery EV trucks are literally high-voltage battery packs on wheels, so it's reasonable to expect some degree of AC power outlet with any new BEV truck entering the market. We count three 110 V outlets on the R1T: one in the 65-inch (1.65 m) gear tunnel that occupies the space between the rear seats and the back wheel arch, and two 15A outlets in the bed, near the tailgate.

The truck bed, made from what Rivian describes as a wear- and corrosion-resistant, reinforced, compression-molded structural composite, can offer more than just power, though. There's also an integrated air compressor, able to output up to 150 psi, as well as a lockable compartment that also fits a full-size spare tire.

Beefy-looking tie-downs can bed found at each corner of the bed, which is 50.2 inches (1.28 m) wide between the wheel arches and 51.5 inches (1.3 m) wide at its widest. The tailgate—which can be controlled by the app if need be—is hinged so it can extend the length of the bed from 54 inches (1.37 m) to 83.6 inches (2.12 m) long. And, in a neat styling touch, it's lit by LED strips that continue on the same plane as the LED taillights on the exterior.

SOURCE: arsTECHNICA
Sponsored

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
The specs look really good, especially the 0-60 time of only 3 seconds via its four independently controlled electric motors.

I just question the affordability factor. Starting at almost $70k it’s not an affordable BEV pickup truck that is aiming for the masses. It’s going to be a niche market vehicle with a rather small owner base. Unlike the Cybertruck you won’t be seeing another R1T at every traffic light.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
The specs look really good, especially the 0-60 time of only 3 seconds via its four independently controlled electric motors.

I just question the affordability factor. Starting at almost $70k it’s not an affordable BEV pickup truck that is aiming for the masses. It’s going to be a niche market vehicle with a rather small owner base. Unlike the Cybertruck you won’t be seeing another R1T at every traffic light.
My thoughts exactly. However if Tesla keep raising the prices and Rivian lower theirs with new lower spec truck, I wonder what the landscape will be like when/if they meet in value. In 2021 it looks like you will see more Rivians at Traffic lights than CTs. However Tesla has produced a lot more EVs than Rivian has and I am thinking by end of 2022 or 2023 they will have produced more trucks than Rivian (at least I hope). But I really want Rivian , Ford and GM succeed with their EV truck. It is good for us.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Gotta start somewhere. Remember, this is Rivian's 'Model S'. They gotta get their feet under them. And I wish them luck.

The Cybertruck will cost as much as all other vehicles I have bought new, together, so... clearly Rivian is a bit above that.

-Crissa

FrostyCT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 MustangGT-700rwhp, 21' & 22' M3 LR, CT res.
Occupation
Self employed - refrigeration service
Country flag
Build ONE!!!!!!
How many cars/trucks have they produced? NONE u say. hmmmm

nitrohuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri Motor Cybertruck
Country flag
Build ONE!!!!!!

Rivian has certainly built plenty so far. They're testing them all over the place and constantly posting videos. Granted they are not production models, but I'd wager there are many more Rivian R1T's in existence right now than there are CTs

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
Build ONE!!!!!!
I see a few driving around Sonoma and napa all the time. They have that goofy prototype wrap on them, but they're around.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
With the premium pricing structure the R1T will be a low volume niche player in the pickup segment. My guess is that annual sales will be around 15-20k units at full production. I predict annual sales will be less than the Ford Raptor which sells roughly 25k units per year.

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
Having AC outlets isn't exactly ground breaking. My 12 year old Ram has one... It does sound like they will be more powerful than the one in my Ram, so that's a plus.
Sponsored