Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Going by this test drive - - I would say curb to curb turning circle of over 40 feet, which would be good considering it's wheelbase length.
I hadn't seen that video before. It looks like they took 4-5 lanes to turn that thing around. I hope the production version turns sharper.
Sponsored

Revoltlution

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius (CyberSlug)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
This assumes that the material beneath you is uniform and the slip is the same at all wheels. More likely that when performing this manuever the vehicle will drift to side with most traction.
And off that cliff ?

martinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mitsubishi Triton
Country flag
This assumes that the material beneath you is uniform and the slip is the same at all wheels. More likely that when performing this manuever the vehicle will drift to side with most traction.
When I tank turn my excavator on flat ground it definitely doesn't drift sideways. If I'm on a slope of loose gravel, then sure it would drift around a bit. Like any driving maneuver you need to factor in the road conditions and obstacles around you. It's the same as Ludicrous mode, it's obviously going to work better on a high friction surface, but I'm sure people try it on loose gravel as well.

Aces-Truck

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Prius
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
My experience with Tank Turning is designing some gears once, for an ultra-large Crane. From what I learned at that time was that it requires more torque as the friction of the surface increases. They would drive the treads onto sheets of plywood (as opposed to soil) anytime they wanted to make a large turn, just to avoid breaking the transmission. And if you think about it, most treads have much lower friction sideways, due to tread design, than a Truck tire. There's a good reason the video was done in soft muddy soil.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
You know, there isn't much use for a fart generator but Tesla has one... Maybe we file this one in the "Neat but not terribly useful" category

martinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mitsubishi Triton
Country flag
You know, there isn't much use for a fart generator but Tesla has one... Maybe we file this one in the "Neat but not terribly useful" category
It would be incredibly useful for some people if a tank turn feature could halve the turning circle of the CT. For some people it could mean the difference between parking it on your property or on the street. Or it could mean they can squeeze the CT into that last available but very tight parking spot at the office carpark. Or it could mean a contractor could get the CT exactly where they need it on a customer's site.
It really isn't hard to see how useful a tank turn feature would be in lots of different scenarios.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
For some people it could mean the difference between parking it on your property or on the street. Or it could mean they can squeeze the CT into that last available but very tight parking spot at the office carpark. Or it could mean a contractor could get the CT exactly where they need it on a customer's site.
It really isn't hard to see how useful a tank turn feature would be in lots of different scenarios.
Because people just don't seem to understand that this cannot be done on concrete, bitumen etc. it occurred to me that Rivian, to protect these people from themselves and Rivian from potential nasty warranty issues, will probably use its sensors to estimate surface friction and lock this feature out. A little poking around shows that a Rivian spokesman indicted in one interview that this is exactly what they intend to do. If they are smart they will limit the drive train warranty for people who buy this option.

martinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mitsubishi Triton
Country flag
Because people just don't seem to understand that this cannot be done on concrete, bitumen etc. it occurred to me that Rivian, to protect these people from themselves and Rivian from potential nasty warranty issues, will probably use its sensors to estimate surface friction and lock this feature out. A little poking around shows that a Rivian spokesman indicted in one interview that this is exactly what they intend to do. If they are smart they will limit the drive train warranty for people who buy this option.
It would be super easy to make this feature near idiot proof. Friction is greatly reduced at lower speeds, which is something that can be easily controlled by software. The tank turn would need to be software controlled anyway.
Personally I see little value in the high speed tank turn, whereas the slow parking speed tank turn will have a lot of use.
Everyday I park my ute in the bay beside the driveway I have to turn hard while nearly stationary, screwing the tires into the concrete driveway. This maneuver leaves tread marks all over the driveway, obviously indicating tire wear. Even though this parking maneuver wears the center of my tires, I always wear out the outer edges first, probably from 'over enthusiastic cornering' (I blame all of the roundabouts).
So I really doubt that performing a low speed tank turn on concrete or bitumen will cause any excessive tire wear that I would lose sleep over. I would actually not mind a little extra tire wear if it meant I could park the CT in my driveway rather than on the street, which is something I would probably lose sleep over.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
As I said you will be protected from yourself by Rivian and Tesla will not have this ability.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The conditions would involve torque and slip, not speed, and there is no need to test on the driver as the torque/slip criterion (Rivian has said they will have this) is designed to protect against the idiots who think they know more than the vehicle designer/manufacturer and there is no need to protect against the savvy guys.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
While I doubt that the CT will have the differentials for tank turns, it would be cool.

If it gets put in then maybe there would be a way do a solar tracker mode for the solar tonneau. I'd buy that for a dollar.

OP
OP
ModelAZ

ModelAZ

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Ordered
Country flag
Yes, Rivian CEO mentioned that the Tank Turn feature may be geofenced.

He mentions it in his interview.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
While I doubt that the CT will have the differentials for tank turns, it would be cool.
Well of course the CT, the most likely candidate for this feature were they to offer it, doesn't have a dfferential in the rear because it has separate motors there. Any differential will do in the front because of the electronically controlled brakes.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, Rivian CEO mentioned that the Tank Turn feature may be geofenced.

He mentions it in his interview.
More significantly he mentions the slip sensing which will prevent it from being available on hi mu surfaces.
Sponsored