Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Rivian says their network will be for Rivian owners only in their description of their network.

https://stories.rivian.com/charging-your-rivian

They also say they're going to be able to install 600 sites in the next two years. That's 2/3rds the number Tesla Superchargers as of last year.

-Crissa
Sponsored

nitrohuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri Motor Cybertruck
Country flag
In the long run I think having "exclusive chargers" is only going to hurt companies... Imagine if you could only get gas for your Ford at the Ford Gas Stations... exclusivity and proprietary charging is a losing game IMO

then again... people are gonna make bank off of after market charging adapters

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Rivian says their network will be for Rivian owners only in their description of their network.

https://stories.rivian.com/charging-your-rivian

They also say they're going to be able to install 600 sites in the next two years. That's 2/3rds the number Tesla Superchargers as of last year.

-Crissa
Hmmm.... Something seems strange about this. Rivian already said they would be installing some chargers in adventure locations. If so, that would reduce the number of chargers being installed along highways or in cities. I can kind of see the logic in building out your own exclusive charging stations. But that s as Lao means you will need to build enough to be competitive with all the other companies. Once it’s built out it would be a huge asset. And for Tesla it is definitely a huge asset. But until you have enough out there, it will be a huge risk.

But they are backed by Amazon so maybe the risk isn’t really so risky.

Makes me wonder if we are headed for a world where every major highway exit has 4 or 5 charging stations but when you get off there you can only use one of them. Seems somewhat wasteful but once everyone is driving EVs we are going to need so many chargers that it might actually make sense in the end.

OP
OP
Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I would be worried that their exclusive 'in adventure spots' would push localities to be shy to add more. There's only so much capacity in these locations.

-Crissa

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I would be worried that their exclusive 'in adventure spots' would push localities to be shy to add more. There's only so much capacity in these locations.

-Crissa
Good point. I’d hate to run low somewhere that only had a Rivian charger.

It would be tempting to find a Rivian to Tesla converter. But I don’t want to have to carry multiple plug converters just to be efficient with where I can charge.

OP
OP
Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Rivian will probably use CCS like the rest of the US does, but will restrict access accounts.

-Crissa

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Rivian will probably use CCS like the rest of the US does, but will restrict access accounts.

-Crissa
So all the Rivian buyers will have the opportunity to collect on the existence of their accounts by letting CT owners borrow them? Or will the account be coded specifically to the Rivian vehicle?

OP
OP
Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So all the Rivian buyers will have the opportunity to collect on the existence of their accounts by letting CT owners borrow them? Or will the account be coded specifically to the Rivian vehicle?
We have no idea, they haven't said. They probably want an experience like Tesla, so it will probably be coded to the VIN in the machine. Plug and go. But maybe they'll allow a Rivian user to unlock the charger and charge another vehicle...

-Crissa

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
We have no idea, they haven't said. They probably want an experience like Tesla, so it will probably be coded to the VIN in the machine. Plug and go. But maybe they'll allow a Rivian user to unlock the charger and charge another vehicle...

-Crissa
I was imagining Rivian owners renting out their account creds like Netflix account holders. If the vehicles are specifically coded in some way that probably wouldn’t be possible. But if it could be shared it might be worth befriending my local Rivian owners.

Hazzzard122

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt EV ...wishing for my dual motor CT
Country flag
3500+ chargers at 600 sites! That’s 50-60 a site!!!

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
Good for rivian drivers.
I'm sure Tesla has much more, hopefully more to come in exotic locations.

It blows my mind that highway 1 has only recently been getting chargers.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Exclusive networks will hinder EV adoption in the long run. It’s good for your company and the fan base, but bad overall. Different connectors, too. Nitrohuck said it. Sadly our elected leaders don’t lead. NHTSA should have regulated a standard connector years ago.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Porsche follows Tesla’s Supercharger lead with its own private charging network
Fred Lambert
- Mar. 16th 2021 1:18 pm ET

@FredericLambert

In a move similar to Tesla’s Supercharger network, Porsche announced that it will build its own proprietary charging network for its customers.

When Tesla introduced the Model S in 2012, the automaker also launched its Supercharger network.

Unlike other automakers launching electric vehicles, Tesla didn’t want to rely on third-party public charging networks. Instead, it wanted to own the charging experience.

The move has proven extremely successful as the Supercharger network became one of Tesla’s biggest advantages, since it wasn’t designed for profit, but to optimize the Tesla ownership experience.

Tesla doesn’t necessarily consider the Supercharger network “private” since it is open to being used by other companies, but that has not yet happened.

While other automakers have also invested in charging infrastructure, most other networks are still run by third-party companies instead of automakers.

Now Porsche is following Tesla’s lead and announcing its own network to complement one of those third-party networks, Ionity, in Europe:

Porsche is planning its own fast-charging stations along the most important European major highways and motorways. These will offer customers a high-quality, brand-appropriate charging experience while complementing the Ionity network. A unique design will showcase the special character of the Porsche fast-charging stations to the outside world.
The German automaker says that each station will have “between six and 12 charging points with a charging capacity of 350 kW and more.”

Similar to what Tesla is doing at some of its Supercharger stations, Porsche will also have lounge areas at some self-service facilities.

Porsche CEO Oliver Blume commented on the new charging infrastructure effort:

“An important prerequisite for electromobility is fast and convenient charging,” says Blume. “That is why we are currently working on the details of a concept for our own fast-charging stations. We will select attractive locations for these in order to offer our customers the most comfortable and fastest long-distance travel experience possible.”
The automaker didn’t offer a clear timeline for when the network will be deployed and if it will be expanded to North America, where Porsche Taycan customers rely on the Electrify America network.

https://electrek.co/2021/03/16/porsche-follows-tesla-supercharger-lead-own-private-charging-network/

Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
Some hacker somewhere will be able to breach the code and one can then charge whatever.

I do not mind exclusivity up to a point, i.e. I cannot go into Bank "A" and attempt to withdraw $$$ from an account I have in Bank "B", yet I can withdraw $$$ from a different bank's or a private ABM/ATM (if I am willing to pay a "charge" ranging from $1.50 to $2ish dollars). Hence my choice to solve, or not, an immediate problem

These "off ones brand" charging networks should charge an extra 4-8-12 cents/Kw or a flat fee of 8-10-12 bucks.

Unless PUPPETICIANS go deeper into the back pockets of corporations... there still stands a chance of legislation that would bar networks from being 100% exclusive.
Sponsored

Last edited: