MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FORD Expedition, Escape, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Could you send me a link to the Model Y pizzazz please, I Googled and couldn't find it thx! :LOL: ;)
Do you own a Tesla? Y not? So many advancements! But I believe the CT is even better for my purpose. To enjoy driving adventures again! Yee haw!
Sponsored

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Source ?

I’m sure a LOT of analysts will pay a good amount of money for that kind of info ;)
I can't seem to find the articles right now, but I didn't make it up, although my number may be off. It's common for vehicles just entering production to cost more to produce than they are selling it for.

OP
OP
Gurule92

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
I can't seem to find the articles right now, but I didn't make it up, although my number may be off. It's common for vehicles just entering production to cost more to produce than they are selling it for.
Tesla Cybertruck Rivian R2 Reveal w/ R3 and R3X Surprises! $45K, 0-60 >3 seconds, 300+ miles range, NACS port, 4695 batteries giphy

evnow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
You may not have made it up - but the guy writing the article sure did ;)

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
You may not have made it up - but the guy writing the article sure did ;)
Do you not think that as Tesla starts to buy the parts in much higher quantity that the cost for those parts will go down? Do you not think that as Tesla optimize production, they can reduce the amount of human interaction and associated cost?
The same thing has happened with all the Teslas. As the quantity goes up, the cost goes down. That's why companies give quantity discounts.

Kaz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q8
Country flag
Placed an order for one just based on price point alone . Rwd with dual motor is supposed to be 50ish….

evnow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Do you not think that as Tesla starts to buy the parts in much higher quantity that the cost for those parts will go down? Do you not think that as Tesla optimize production, they can reduce the amount of human interaction and associated cost?
The same thing has happened with all the Teslas. As the quantity goes up, the cost goes down. That's why companies give quantity discounts.
Economy of scale is like a high school thing. BTW, the main benefit of larger production is in spreading out fixed costs.

The question is regarding the "losing money" part - how does the author "know" it is $17k ? That is extremely difficult to calculate unless you know the cost accounting of CT. People like Munro can estimate based on detailed examination of parts and methods after teardown - and they get big bucks from competitors and analysts to do that.

Ofcourse if they make 3k CTs this quarter - at -17k, they contribute -$50M to margin. That is not a small amount - but in relative terms its a rounding figure now for Tesla with a profit of $10B per quarter.

OP
OP
Gurule92

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Maybe the 17k would've been the loss of they kept normal prices.

FS 20k would then offset that

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
Economy of scale is like a high school thing. BTW, the main benefit of larger production is in spreading out fixed costs.

The question is regarding the "losing money" part - how does the author "know" it is $17k ? That is extremely difficult to calculate unless you know the cost accounting of CT. People like Munro can estimate based on detailed examination of parts and methods after teardown - and they get big bucks from competitors and analysts to do that.

Ofcourse if they make 3k CTs this quarter - at -17k, they contribute -$50M to margin. That is not a small amount - but in relative terms its a rounding figure now for Tesla with a profit of $10B per quarter.
Yea the ole "economies of scale" is maybe grade school at this point of the discussion. Margins based on supply chain premiums, second shift challenges with pay rates etc will be far more complex.

evnow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Maybe the 17k would've been the loss of they kept normal prices.

FS 20k would then offset that
R1S/T is still making big losses. You can't fix the low volume with high prices. Remember Tesla hardly ever made a profit with just S & X.

When you spend a Billion tooling up for 250k a year but use < 10% of capacity you just can't make a profit. Need to increase volume.

OP
OP
Gurule92

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
R1S/T is still making big losses. You can't fix the low volume with high prices. Remember Tesla hardly ever made a profit with just S & X.

When you spend a Billion tooling up for 250k a year but use < 10% of capacity you just can't make a profit. Need to increase volume.
Ofc they need to increase volume but if their volume production price is 79k, then raising that price 20k would for sure minimize losses. We don't know what they're paying per vehicle. Could be less than we think
Sponsored