Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I know this is a bit out there, but imagine for a moment that Tesla did the Baja 1000. Don’t they have support checkpoints? Why wouldn’t Tesla just put a way point every 300 miles en-route to stop for charging and other maintenance? A couple support trucks with big arrays of solar panels and a battery bank. Charge up would be longer than other pit stops for certain.
I'm just thinking that since this is a race, what kind of tradeoffs would be needed to win the race. Charging stops would add time but without the extra battery/engine weight you might only need a few of them. If the engine could keep up with charging the battery while running (at least well enough to let them go the full 1000 miles (plus extra room for mistaken paths) then maybe the extra weight could save time by not needing to charge so much. Faster to just pull into a pit stop and fill up the gas. Or perhaps with a big enough battery in the back, they could get the full 1000 miles without needing to charge or fill up any gas.
But everything is a trade-off. Plus there is always physics that needs to be obeyed. Since Elon made the comment about the Baja race though it has me wondering how he is planning to make it work.

Sponsored