Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The Cybertruck was supposed to be delivered already and we are still applying for a patent?

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
I have experience with a variety of devices made of "sapphire glass" and while strong, there are def day-to-day experiences that can crack it. Scratches not so much, but the harder the glass the easier the break. And Tesla glass has a tendency to self-shatter due to internal pressures. I have personal experience with that bit.
Tesla has purchased all the glass for it's vehicles from the same glass suppliers other automakers use. That means there is no "Tesla glass", at least not up to the Cybertruck. If you have had glass on your Tesla with "internal pressures", I think you mean "internal stresses", then you have a problem with the glass supplier, Tesla has not been making their own glass or specifying it to have higher internal stresses - that is defect caused by the supplier cooling the glass unevenly.

Elon called the windshield of the Cybertruck "metal glass" and while he hasn't disclosed exactly what that is, it's likely aluminum oxynitride:

Aluminium oxynitride - Wikipedia

This is not sapphire glass and it's used by the military on armored vehicles precisely because it's tougher than even much thicker laminated armor glass so it can reduce weight of the armored glass on a vehicle. I believe Elon wants to use it for it's strength and weight savings on the Cybertruck but we will have to wait and see what the final glass spec is. My concern is that aluminum oxynitride is very thermally conductive compared to regular glass so it might increase the amount of heat required to keep the cabin warm. It also might also fog up easier so I'm very curious what glass they end up specifying.

Hopefully it's as tough as the rest of the truck.

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
The patent was made over a year ago (look at the links above). This is a revision or something.
That was when they applied for the patent, it has now been granted.
Sponsored