Anthony Makstutis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
honDA CIVIC ( cYBERTRUCK 4WHEEL DR.)
Occupation
RETIRED
Country flag
??? Occam's razor would say, maybe they're testing something and left the bed open because it didn't matter. Driving around the track with the bed open and no external sensors wouldn't be how they'd test airflow.
Stainless steel people. That means it will be more resistant to salt and corrosion.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
??? Occam's razor would say, maybe they're testing something and left the bed open because it didn't matter. Driving around the track with the bed open and no external sensors wouldn't be how they'd test airflow.
We’ve seen several of the test units without the vault cover. It’s possible they don’t even have the cover installed on these yet.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I‘m not sure the rules on posting links but this is a link to the covers, hopefully it’s ok… I think they have a downloadable manual if one wanted to study on them. I see the brand new ones have an emergency release of some type inside the bed but mine is several years old and is not equipped with such a release. I will also add that mine is a bit louder than you would think. It kind of reminds me of dozer tracks when it is operating. Not a problem but it is not a buttery smooth sound when opening or closing.

https://rollnlock.com/e-series

Looks like the Roll-n-Lock is NOT completely sealed from debris like leaves, twigs. etc.

Also the drain holes & drain tubes need to be checked because mold can grow and plug the line which would cause water to flood some of the components.

-------------

How to Clean, Protect, and Preserve Your Truck Bed Cover
https://rollnlock.com/blog/how-to-c...ean-protect-and-preserve-your-truck-bed-cover

Whether you have an A-series, M-Series, or E-Series Roll-N-Lock tonneau cover, it’s important to start protecting it from Day 1. This will help extend the life of your cover and ensure it continues to operate smoothly year after year. When manufactured, truck bed covers are treated so that they’ll repel water and other contaminants like dust and sap, but eventually, that initial treatment will wear off, and leave your cover vulnerable to weather and other environmental hazards.
When washing, take the lid off the tonneau cover housing, check the drains, and make sure you clear out any debris and sticks. After washing, you should apply a premium vinyl cleaner to your tonneau cover to remove dirt, grime, and mold.

-------------

Last edited:

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
zzz

Looks like the Roll-n-Lock is NOT completely sealed from debris like leaves, twigs. etc.

Also the drain holes & drain tubes need to be checked because mold can grow and plug the line which would cause water to flood some of the components.

-------------

https://rollnlock.com/blog/how-to-c...ean-protect-and-preserve-your-truck-bed-cover

Whether you have an A-series, M-Series, or E-Series Roll-N-Lock tonneau cover, it’s important to start protecting it from Day 1. This will help extend the life of your cover and ensure it continues to operate smoothly year after year. When manufactured, truck bed covers are treated so that they’ll repel water and other contaminants like dust and sap, but eventually, that initial treatment will wear off, and leave your cover vulnerable to weather and other environmental hazards.
When washing, take the lid off the tonneau cover housing, check the drains, and make sure you clear out any debris and sticks. After washing, you should apply a premium vinyl cleaner to your tonneau cover to remove dirt, grime, and mold.

-------------
Kind of like sunroofs, those have been in use for a while...

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
zzz

-------------

-------------
6 years and 210,000 miles on mine with no problems from leaves, twigs, mold, or anything else. It seems like maybe it did freeze shut once if I remember correctly. It has been everywhere from the coasts of Florida to the Grand Canyon, Chicago, Texas, Las Vegas, and many places in between. I wash the truck with the cover the same as I do my trucks without covers, rarely. I don’t work for the people that sell them, I don’t even know them. I bought it locally at a truck accessory dealer when I bought the truck new. He asked my input because he has a genuine interest in how the covers perform and since I actually have real life experience with the cover I am in a unique position to offer my opinion and the facts I have observed. The company suggest applying a “Premium Vinyl Cleaner” to remove dirt but maybe one in a hundred people would actually do so. Bottom line is there are no real issues with the covers. They work good and there is almost zero chance of any engineering problems from Tesla and very little chance of debris problems with the average user. To anyone concerned about debris or mold problems, don’t let anyone worry you.

dtruckman

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Accura MDX Hybrid, 2005 Dodge Dakota 4X4
Occupation
retired
Country flag
One thing to remember is you are probably looking at a prototype, one of many that are out gaining real world experience. The actual production model will be the final product with changes made in subsequent model years. Pickup covers as I have written before all have plusses and minuses so any improvement to what's being produced is welcoming.

Zapharus

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 '22, Element '11, DM Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
Yep. That’s how my ‘03 Rubicon was stolen in San Diego, crossed border into MX never to be seen again
That sucks. Sorry that happened to you. I hate thieves.

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
How big is that box at the front of the truck bed? Maybe they could put it above the vault under the lip. I’d be willing to sacrifice a chunk of the rear window view for a pass thru plus under bed storage.

I think the window is less than 12” tall already, so not a ton of room to play with here.
Mine is about 10 inches but the newer ones on the website look slightly more compact. Mine is about 6 years old and the new ones on the website look ever so slightly different/updated but more or less the same and I believe Tesla’s design is basically the same as these. I think your idea of having it above the vault could work if they spend enough time designing it.

uff_da

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
6 years and 210,000 miles on mine with no problems from leaves, twigs, mold, or anything else. It seems like maybe it did freeze shut once if I remember correctly. It has been everywhere from the coasts of Florida to the Grand Canyon, Chicago, Texas, Las Vegas, and many places in between. I wash the truck with the cover the same as I do my trucks without covers, rarely. I don’t work for the people that sell them, I don’t even know them. I bought it locally at a truck accessory dealer when I bought the truck new. He asked my input because he has a genuine interest in how the covers perform and since I actually have real life experience with the cover I am in a unique position to offer my opinion and the facts I have observed. The company suggest applying a “Premium Vinyl Cleaner” to remove dirt but maybe one in a hundred people would actually do so. Bottom line is there are no real issues with the covers. They work good and there is almost zero chance of any engineering problems from Tesla and very little chance of debris problems with the average user. To anyone concerned about debris or mold problems, don’t let anyone worry you.
If we don't sit on this forum and worry/debate/speculate we are stuck with nothing to feed our Cybertruck habits... so here we are :)

I have some concerns that a cover could be minorly annoying if not done well. I think the devil is in the details with a mechanical system like that. Just because someone else designed a good product doesn't mean everyone will.

Example:
Tesla does OTA updates, and so does Ford. Just because something can be done well doesn't mean it will be done well.

I think Tesla will come up with a workable design but they do have a history of having issues with some overly complicated mechanical designs (Model S door handle, M3 body design).

Fun to debate the best approach, but I agree nothing to "worry" about.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I think Tesla will come up with a workable design but they do have a history of having issues with some overly complicated mechanical designs (Model S door handle, M3 body design).
Roller doors are pretty well known technology. They don’t pierce the cabin so while there might be issues with seals, they are not total deal breakers.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
They seem to be doing airflow tests at the track with the bed open. Makes you think they are expecting that to be a common use case. ?
What a load of crap! How do you know they were "airflow" tests? LOL! I didn't see anything that was instrumented for airflow.

The competitors must be running scared to turn their army of FUD'sters on so loud! They just make stuff up out of thin air and hope it will stick.

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If the commercial dump trucks have to cover their load , then why not require all pickup trucks to do the same to prevent the cargo from falling off the cargo bed? It’s a safety thing now that the lawyers want a part into our lives in this day and age.
Sponsored