Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
How do you know he stopped due to lack of confidence? I would do the same if the stop was at a place that coincided with a lunch or a break. When I visit relatives, I wouldn't want to ask to charge there and I don't want to arrive empty in case we have to go somewhere. And I wouldn't want to let my EV sit empty either. If charging is slow at my destination, I would fill up at a faster chager early. There is tons of reasons to charge midway up to 80%.

However, I never expect to have the same level of freedom and confidence as when I travel with my Wife's ICE with near 600 mile range. If you are comparing apples and oranges we are wasting time. If we are talking EVs, until I get to know my EV, I would be on the safe side too. Especially if the elevation, weather conditions and charging stations are on the iffy side. For non Tesla charging, at this stage of the game, staying safe is not a bad idea.

Thank you for answering your own question.:p

Simple logic dictates that if you are paying double for your previous F150 ICE, it should have double the capabilities of the former truck -- and should be able to plug, charge and play worry free.
Sponsored

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
Fair enough, hereā€™s my data-take:

(1) my Lariat cost under under $70,000

(2) I donā€™t commute much (mentioned 3,000mi in 5mo)

(3) I donā€™t tow, and I have no delusions about the physics of EVs as relates to drag and speed (note: even flawless Teslas have 20-30% range reductions from mere hitch-mounted bicycle racks)

(4) I live in central Texas, so experience *relatively* little cold weather range depletion

(5) I have 21Kw of solar on my roof, so very little net charging costs

(6) I pay almost no attention to my on-dash mileage ā€œguess-o-meterā€ (like my ICEā€™s mileage estimate), and instead view my battery % as no more/less reliable than my ICEā€™s fuel gauge: at a ā€œ1/4ā€ I get a antsy, and either fill up (if Iā€™m feeling adult), or (if Iā€™m instead reliving high school) trust that ā€œEā€ stands for ā€˜enoughā€™

Which is all to say: if I mistook fuel gauges for oracles, was subject to high electricity costs, lived in Wisconsin, lived for RV life on weekends, had a material commute on weekdays, and was being offered a Lariat at $114,000 ā€¦ Iā€™d pass

but Iā€™d donā€™t see that as any different from knowing the use case and value proposition of any other vehicle: Iā€™d also pass on a Miata
In other words, you've not experienced what those who used their F150 Lightning in snowy and towing conditions went through.

Here is one more, from the not so crazy and ignorant guys at Motor Trend. They towed a 3,200 pounds trailer, half the F150 Lightning towing capacity, and got only 115 mile range out of 320 EPA Ford represented. I would get as much as 40% drop in MPG along the 1-80 corridor mostly uphill West or East bound. The guys at Motor Trend saw a drop of 65% with no mention and therefore the conclusion that it's a relatively regular roads and highways.

I'm repeating myself here, but logic dictates that if you are paying double from your previous F150 ICE, it should have double the capabilities of the former truck -- or giving some allowance, would have performed substantially better.

I'm not bashing Ford here, no reason to be and, in fact, should be doing the opposite. I am both an excited potential owner of F150 Lightning and a stockholder where my holding is bleeding red ink. I am simply disappointed and had to put my decision point by December 2023 in the hope they'll have their 2nd generation out and have solved these issues.

Last edited:

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag

I'll cover the Tahoe-Sparks zone.

@Crissa - can you take care of Fremont?

Someone volunteer to monitor the Giga Texas. :p

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Thank you for answering your own question.:p

Simple logic dictates that if you are paying double for your previous F150 ICE, it should have double the capabilities of the former truck -- and should be able to plug, charge and play worry free.
I used to use simple logic when I was a simpleton. Then I grew up. Now I like my logic complicated in which ā€œcapabilitiesā€ need to be defined.

The complicated logic:
  • The EV truck I am buying now is in fact less expensive than ICE counterpart with similar capabilities (As far as power is concerned).
  • the truck can be used as a generator without making noise or polluting.
  • ā€˜The truck has a Frunk that can be locked and is powered.
  • over 2000 lb payload.
  • smoother ride and more quiet than similarly priced ICE.
  • I donā€™t have to change oil and filter
  • inflation is part of the reason you are paying double your previously F150. If you compare a current F150 with similar capability (Raptor), you are not paying more.
  • I donā€™t have to go for emission test
  • There is reason to put up with some inconvenience and additional cost to help an industry thrive So the next generation can get more by paying less.
  • 99% of my driving is within range and capability of the EV I am getting so I donā€™t expect to deal with significant inconvenience. Charging at home may end up making it more convenient.
  • others can fill in the rest of the bullets.

Long distance traveling is a very small portion of my use. All I am saying is that you have to fit the tool for the job. Making general statements is a bit naive. If you are buying a hummer to do cross country towing of big trailer on regular bases all while paing for DCFC, what you are saying makes perfect sense. If you are buying a bolt to do around town errands not so much. It is not an all or nothing deal.

If you donā€™t need a new truck, waiting will only get you one with more capability if what is out there does not meet your needs.

Last edited:

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MYLR, '23 Mavrick Hybrid, '24? Cyberbeast
Occupation
Current Operations for... an organization
Country flag
I'll cover the Tahoe-Sparks zone.

@Crissa - can you take care of Fremont?

Someone volunteer to monitor the Giga Texas. :p
I'll monitor Giga Texas... through Joe and Jeff's drone footage. :p

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
I used to use simple logic when I was a simpleton. Then I grew up. Now I like my logic complicated in which ā€œcapabilitiesā€ need to be defined.

The complicated logic:
  • The EV truck I am buying now is in fact less expensive than ICE counterpart with similar capabilities (As far as power is concerned).
  • the truck can be used as a generator without making noise or polluting.
  • ā€˜The truck has a Frunk that can be locked and is powered.
  • smoother ride and more quiet than similarly priced ICE.
  • I donā€™t have to change oil and filter
  • inflation is part of the reason you are paying double your previously F150. If you compare a current F150 with similar capability (Raptor), you are not paying more.
  • I donā€™t have to go for emission test
  • There is reason to put up with some inconvenience and additional cost to help an industry thrive So the next generation can get more by paying less.
  • 99% of my driving is within range and capability of the EV I am getting so I donā€™t expect to deal with significant inconvenience. Charging at home may end up making it more convenient.
  • others can fill in the rest of the bullets.

Long distance traveling is a very small portion of my use. All I am saying is that you have to fit the tool for the job. Making general statements is a bit naive. If you are buying a hummer to do cross country towing of big trailer on regular bases all while paing for DCFC, what you are saying makes perfect sense. If you are buying a bolt to do around town errands not so much. It is not an all or nothing deal.

If you donā€™t need a new truck, waiting will only get you one with more capability if what is out there does not meet your needs.
That's very noble, but what about the other 99% of truck users whose needs are for their work to earn a living and those who will use it for leisure and long road trips pulling RVs?

But I'm with you on the march for us to rid of oil. A security expert said we should aim for zero value for crude oil which can and have been weaponized by people and nations who don't like us and other countries with democratic values.

Last edited:

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
what about the other 99% of truck users whose needs are for their work to earn a living and those who will use it for leisure and long road trips pulling RVs?

I think most of the first group is covered. A lot of businesses are looking at Electric Vans and trucks because their daily use fit the range and they charge at night. It will reduce their operational cost.,

The second is a bit more tricky and may need a bit more growth in tech and infrastructure to make it easy. I know people that do it, but they do have their frustration.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
LOL, exactly! Driving from Truckee to Reno would have added wattage to his battery with constant braking and consequent regen. :p
Not if you want to keep up with traffic, but definitely not alot of consumption in that time.

There are times I really like having a manual, and it's hills like that you can just coast and coast and coast...

-Crissa

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
In other words, you've not experienced what those who used their F150 Lightning in snowy and towing conditions went through.
exactly. And even still, even when it didnā€™t impact me, *I* still knew what Iā€™d be getting into with an EV when it comes to cold weather and towing. For those that lived in cold places and wanted to tow but didnā€™t bother learning about their purchase, thatā€™s on them.

They towed a 3,200 pounds trailer, half the F150 Lightning towing capacity, and got only 115 mile range out of 320 EPA Ford represented.
hereā€™s a problem: you keep incorrectly conflating two unrelated things. The EPA never represented 320mi of towing range, and any dunce should have either (1) picked up on that, or (2) not blame Ford for failing to pick up on it.

I'm repeating myself here, but logic dictates that if you are paying double from your previous F150 ICE, it should have double the capabilities of the former truck -- or giving some allowance, would have performed substantially better.
Logic does not dictate this. Neither in your apparent assumptions about the relevant ā€œvalueā€ of the Lightning, nor in your apparent assumption that new and sexy technologies donā€™t implicate premiums.

That's very noble, but what about the other 99% of truck users whose needs are for their work to earn a living and those who will use it for leisure and long road trips pulling RVs?
they quite possibly arenā€™t choosing the right tool for the job, or youā€™re making incorrect assumptions about what the Lightning purports to be (on any reasonable, marketing-fluff-adjusted basis).

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
exactly. And even still, even when it didnā€™t impact me, *I* still knew what Iā€™d be getting into with an EV when it comes to cold weather and towing. For those that lived in cold places and wanted to tow but didnā€™t bother learning about their purchase, thatā€™s on them.
Tell the Canadians how? By guessing? For chrissakes, it's the first edition out to the market.

The buyers fault for falsely assuming a benchmark like Tesla's car that does not have as much similar problem as Ford 150 Lightning.

Yup, buyer's beware. And now we all know.

So whose number is the 320 mile range? Also buyer's fault?

Ah yes, just like in Texas, it's always the people's own fault, dying of deep freeze, exploding oil pipes...

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Thought about it while in the truck today, so thought Iā€™d add the below data. Trip 1 is all but 6-8 delivery miles. These 3,000 miles are probably 90-95% around-town miles, from July (TX efficiency hit for cooling) to today (some deficiency hit for maybe 4 weeks total of 50ish to 39ish weather). I donā€™t pre-condition (would if I had more range anxiety, might when it gets colder). Hilly central Texas. No towing, some bed-full hauling, lots of 4-member family commuting. Quite a lot of idle time (i takes calls from the truck a lot, etc.). And QUITE a lot of gas-petal antics on the take-offs

Tesla Cybertruck Rumor: 30 Cybertrucks to be manually built in December 2022 [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS or TWITTER TALK] 8B483E68-7EFF-4A40-B7C1-1D9931C5F734

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Thought Iā€™d also add this from the F150L forum (vague data as it may be, itā€™s a notch or two better resolution than sensationalist YouTube anecdotes)

Tesla Cybertruck Rumor: 30 Cybertrucks to be manually built in December 2022 [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS or TWITTER TALK] 733D3102-0C25-4975-8ECD-CD95B7A2EC04

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Thought Iā€™d also add this from the F150L forum (vague data as it may be, itā€™s a notch or two better resolution than sensationalist YouTube anecdotes)

733D3102-0C25-4975-8ECD-CD95B7A2EC04.jpeg
Wow.. that is truly bad. Makes me wonder if the semi is actually getting the 1.7 they claim. It would be insane for a loaded Tesla semi to regularly attain better economy than an unloaded pickup truck.
Sponsored