Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
No.

The gigacasting is just a method of making a part. It can be made in smaller pieces or carved out of a bigger piece of aluminum. Crash tests aren't completely invalidated when you change how parts are made.

How would you create designs to be cast if you couldn't test them at all beforehand?

-Crissa
In all Cybertruck crash testing Cybertruck wins. Test wall fails. Thats it, end of test. :cool:
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
tell me what year you think you will realistically get your CT in and tell me how many years since the announcement?
3.75+ years Depending on production start.

I think you weren’t super clear what you meant by your original comment. I thought and clearly others read it the same way you were referring to waiting 5 years when these 30 trucks come out. Or perhaps we just read it wrong. Obvi a mis-understanding, we all recognize some people will end up waiting 5 years.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Err well maybe ... but unless you're an Tesla insider, I have to question that emphatic no. How do you think they are going to cobble together a LARGE single piece casting for the CyberTruck out of pieces that would in any way represent an equivalent bottom casting holding the battery and joined to the Exoskeleton?

In any case NTSA may be just that lax in their testing requirement but I would think an "as built" vehicle would be essential for Crash testing and rating. They should only test production vehicles, not preproduction samples not manufactured with the same structural components.
New vehicles are regularly released before the first crash tests. Tesla has a pretty good idea how they will fare because they will have already done extensive finite element 3D crash simulations that are incredibly detailed.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
3.75+ years Depending on production start.

I think you weren’t super clear what you meant by your original comment. I thought and clearly others read it the same way you were referring to waiting 5 years when these 30 trucks come out. Or perhaps we just read it wrong. Obvi a mis-understanding, we all recognize some people will end up waiting 5 years.
Yup.

If some Cybertruck ship to early reservation customers in Aug/Sept 2023 it will be about 3.75 years (way less than 5).

I do not expect to get any Cybertrucks from my reservations until at earliest summer 2025 (5+ year).

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In all Cybertruck cash testing Cybertruck wins. Test wall fails. Thats it, end of test. :cool:
I know this was said partially in jest, but I do think there are people that think Cybertruck will be almost indestructible. While it will be, by far, the toughest truck available, I don't think it will fare much better in a typical 40 mph crash than any other truck from a perspective of property damage.

That's because it absolutely has to crumple to keep the occupants safe and Tesla will design crumble zones around the occupants that crumple at a similar rate to existing vehicles to manage g-forces on the occupants. That said, the occupant compartment may very well be stronger than any other vehicle which could allow high speed crashes to be more survivable.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not much, I have hurt each shoulder and now my knee with soft tissue injuries. Very, very annoying.

-Crissa
I hope you heal up! Was it motorcycle related?

I've been using a Therabody impact massager a few minutes a day and it really seems to increase the blood flow for a few hours afterwards, which may speed healing.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Holy Cow...

I've spent nearly 5% of my life waiting for the Cybertruck !!!

:LOL:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I know this was said partially in jest, but I do think there are people that think Cybertruck will be almost indestructible. While it will be, by far, the toughest truck available, I don't think it will fare much better in a typical 40 mph crash than any other truck from a perspective of property damage.

That's because it absolutely has to crumple to keep the occupants safe and Tesla will design crumble zones around the occupants that crumple at a similar rate to existing vehicles to manage g-forces on the occupants. That said, the occupant compartment may very well be stronger than any other vehicle which could allow high speed crashes to be more survivable.
Yeah, the toughness is more for smaller things. Shopping carts, tree branches, door dings.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
My wife

Actually, I should bring my Wok outside and give it a crash test. Its looks 3mm SS and heavy as.

I will let you all know the results.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I hope you heal up! Was it motorcycle related?

I've been using a Therabody impact massager a few minutes a day and it really seems to increase the blood flow for a few hours afterwards, which may speed healing.
No! Well, yes, the first time I put luggage on to go to the beach I caught my foot on it and got my boot caught and the bike tipped over and judo-threw me to the ground.

That healed, and then I fell off my bike in a windstorm at Burning man and raspberried both knees.

That healed and then my knee swelled up like a balloon. Something inside went pop during my stretches and it's been a month of icing my knee to get it near normal again.

But the others... rotor injury of one shoulder, and then the other the next year, and no specific accident, just, injuries.

-Crissa

Holy Cow...

I've spent nearly 5% of my life waiting for the Cybertruck !!!

:LOL:
Now that you mentioned it... I have spent exactly 1/16th.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
No.

The gigacasting is just a method of making a part. It can be made in smaller pieces or carved out of a bigger piece of aluminum. Crash tests aren't completely invalidated when you change how parts are made.

How would you create designs to be cast if you couldn't test them at all beforehand?

-Crissa
You literally said the opposite of this a while back. I said they wouldn't need to crash the Texas Y's again even if now using more castings. You argued. Now you flippy flop.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
You literally said the opposite of this a while back. I said they wouldn't need to crash the Texas Y's again even if now using more castings. You argued. Now you flippy flop.
I don't recall doing so.

Tesla runs their own crash center so they will re-run the tests. Maybe that's what I was referring to?

"Have to" and "will" or even "should" are all different properties.

-Crissa

M. Ralston

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Don't kill the messenger:

I call BS! The 9k gigs press is not up and running, and you can’t have a proper crash test unless you have the actual structural casting’s installed to conduct the test!

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Without the giga press up and running producing the giga castings, I see no point in this exercise. Do they need more prototypes? With actual production slated to start in less than a year? I think not.

Also, crash tests without the giga casting would be invalid.
Interesting point, was the Texas Model Y retested?
Sponsored