Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Yesterday I was talking to a guy who has a lot of time on his hands and enough money to be interested in high priced toys.

In the conversation he said he had heard that Elon was thinking of buying Mercedes (the brand/company).

I have no idea what he heard to give himself that idea. Has anyone else come across this rumor? Anyone see any benefit to Tesla or to Elon’s mission from this kind of transaction?
Sponsored

Richard V.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt 2015
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yesterday I was talking to a guy who has a lot of time on his hands and enough money to be interested in high priced toys.

In the conversation he said he had heard that Elon was thinking of buying Mercedes (the brand/company).

I have no idea what he heard to give himself that idea. Has anyone else come across this rumor? Anyone see any benefit to Tesla or to Elon’s mission from this kind of transaction?
Perhaps it is here: Tesla Merger With Daimler Would Be Like Elon Musk Dragging a 50-lb Rock Behind Him Wherever He Goes | Torque News

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag

there is absolutely no good reason for Tesla to do that..... so I'll say no.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Was the rumor that Elon is thinking of buying Mercedes? Or TESLA is going to buy Mercedes?

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Was the rumor that Elon is thinking of buying Mercedes? Or TESLA is going to buy Mercedes?
The guy didn’t have perfect English and I wasn’t trying to push for more info. But it almost sounded like Elon personally buying Mercedes. Other than possibly to make the German government more compliant to Tesla permits etc, I really don’t see the benefit of such a purchase.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Well said.

What value would the Mercedes brand bring to Tesla?

Tesla would literally be buying the badge and that’s it. Very very little else Mercedes owns is going to translate into assets which would work down to Tesla’s bottom line.

Factories? Not really.

Engine technology? LOL right.

Seats? I think Mercedes outsources them anyhow (and Tesla does fine making their own).

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The guy didn’t have perfect English and I wasn’t trying to push for more info. But it almost sounded like Elon personally buying Mercedes. Other than possibly to make the German government more compliant to Tesla permits etc, I really don’t see the benefit of such a purchase.
Elon talked about the sprinter van being a nice form factor and at one point talked about the possibility of buying Sprinter van shells to install Tesla batteries/ motors into.

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Why would Tesla purchase a company with zero strategic advantages and riddled with debt?
But on a positive note, would that mean I could stick a Tesla badge on my Smart Fortwo EQ.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Why would Tesla purchase a company with zero strategic advantages and riddled with debt?
Hmm, could this be like in Western U.S. Sometimes WATER (H2O) can be more precious than gold.

Don't want to reward coal mining company even if it has water rights.

Does Mercedes have rights to large amounts of water in Brandenburg, Germany?

Richard V.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt 2015
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Did you like my answer or were you thinking of something else? The person doing the message at my reference is saying he is going to also post/say the opposite why it could be a good idea to do that soon.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3316

Tesla wouldn’t bother buying out a car company, Tesla would just buy up all the relevant suppliers. Hasten the demise of ICE OEMs, and accelerate the expansion curve.

Richard V.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt 2015
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Tesla wouldn’t bother buying out a car company, Tesla would just buy up all the relevant suppliers. Hasten the demise of ICE OEMs, and accelerate the expansion curve.
You are most likely right. Elon his too much of a free thinker to be bogged down with buying an old shipyard.
Final answer! (Almost!)
Sponsored

Last edited: