A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
My question has been whether the foundations of EV charging require such software.
And, rather, something that shows that this is actually necessary based on the fundamentals of EV technology.
If you read #44 and don't understand from that post that software is necessary based on the fundamentals of EV technology (in particular battery technology) then either you have a reading comprehension problem or I can't write a coherent sentence. In any case it appears that my efforts are not going to enable you to understand this,
Sponsored

OP
OP

cybertruck808

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Renegade
Occupation
Military
Country flag
If you read #44 and don't understand from that post that software is necessary based on the fundamentals of EV technology (in particular battery technology) then either you have a reading comprehension problem or I can't write a coherent sentence. In any case it appears that my efforts are not going to enable you to understand this,
Ok. It is clear we aren't seeing eye to eye on things here, and that's fine. No need to keep beating a dead horse on an issue that has nothing to do with the thread.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
As you wrote
My question has been whether the foundations of EV charging require such software.
And then wrote:
No need to keep beating a dead horse on an issue that has nothing to do with the thread.
in response to a thread which addressed that I am now totally confused as to what the thread is about. So what is it about?

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
Im gonna pop in with my thought, on the software thing.

the tesla vehicle obviously has software monitoring and charging the vehicle, this is necessary for communicating with the station and to get power to charge at the proper clip.

BUT if i made a custom charging station at home to charge at supercharger speeds? Tsla should not be able to prevent me from doing this.

also think tesla shouldn't be able to say:
you can not change anything in your vehicle, like adjust the software parameters, or modifying it to run something else. (if you payed for and own your car, and of course you will be giving up the up warranty as well)

If some1 made a open source software to override most of Teslas, Tesla would brick the car. they would actively look for modified cars

but if I run a modified ecu on my mitsu evo X(i dont actually own 1)

or alter how my prius software works, mistu and toyota wont kill me car (my modifications might, if i do it wrong)

or when i run linux on my mac(which i also dont have) apple dosnt destroy my mac

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
BUT if i made a custom charging station at home to charge at supercharger speeds? Tsla should not be able to prevent me from doing this.
While I agree with you, as I believe in the Right to Repair, but as far as I know no one has taken Tesla to court and won a case that then can be used to help when other cases...

And with the way many courts have ruled on software (again, my limited knowledge), I do not expect most cases will result in a decision against Tesla, even though I think they should be able to turn off Tesla Supercharger charging, but not other, non-Tesla charging capability.

I hope that purchasers of products get the Right to Repair and that includes software. This would cover 3rd party fixes/patches to software...

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
I talked to my lawyer coworker. He was saying basically this exact same thing is in the superior court's right now.
I guess there's no real law saying whether tesla can or cannot limit 3rd party charging.
He believes that the tech companies will get their way and be able to basically have rights to you car because their software runs the thing.

He was saying the only way to get past it would be running a hacked version of the cars software, similar to jailbreaking a phone, Which is aparently legal. but of course this is all subject to forthcoming laws and the company's polices

Migizi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
prius XL
Country flag
Though we may purchase and 'own' the cars of today, we are merely leasing the software that runs them, or at least that is the future.

There are, and always will be challenges to OEM software restrictions, but the moment that membrane is compromised, it leads to vulnerabilities that go beyond financial.

I could see some moron, hacking the vehicles software and then sue the OEM because his hack caused a software malfunction that resulted in an accident, or damage.

These cars today (especially the Tesla) are highly sophisticated computers with motors, batteries and wheels.
Sponsored