Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Cool! It is comforting to know that IDRA is going to increase the number of concurrent machines they can build up and ship 3x. Also, and it wasn't clear which one he was referring to, but he showed them packaging up components to be shipped to the U.S.

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
It does appear there may be some components POTENTIALLY being from IDRA that landed in Texas yesterday by the way.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
My big take aways. No molten metal testing done in Italy. Hydraulic testing only. 180 milliseconds to fill the die with aluminum. Very cool. Mechanical advantages for clamping on top of amazing Hydraulic power and control. Now I want to see the aluminum injection part.

Prime8

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Colorado,
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
Very interesting, they seem to be really pushing the technology to new levels (not that I know anything about it :) ) Seem intent on expanding to other OEMs also.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
My big take aways. No molten metal testing done in Italy. Hydraulic testing only. 180 milliseconds to fill the die with aluminum. Very cool. Mechanical advantages for clamping on top of amazing Hydraulic power and control. Now I want to see the aluminum injection part.
Decent overview of die casting

I watched a couple. I thought there was an elaborate vacuum system to remove air from the mold. As I understand it now, the mold isn't too tight and aluminum is allowed to escape the mold forming the flash there fore pushing out the air on each cast.

If the 90 second cycle time is what Tesla is going after the cooling portion must be pretty quick

Lube, close, inject, cool, open, extract/lube 10, 15, 1, 39, 15, 10 This is just a guess.

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
ITS SO DAMN GIGANTIC!!

i really enjoyed watching. I enjoy the part somewhere around 10:45 when talking about how die casting has been the same for years and they are “basically “ revolutionizing die-casting with what they are doing.
i think he said a complete paradigm shift . Pretty damn cool.

The gentleman also mentions how they have some work to do convincing others and he states that there are a lot of skeptics out there and Sandy’s response around 11:12 was classic.
“I hear it all the time😁😆
Love it! Ok move along.
Really cool dude and enjoyed the show 🍿

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
Lube, close, inject, cool, open, extract/lube 10, 15, 1, 39, 15, 10 This is just a guess.
Please don’t hold back.
Finish what you started.

Please give me the mega number as well🤣

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I watched a couple. I thought there was an elaborate vacuum system to remove air from the mold. As I understand it now, the mold isn't too tight and aluminum is allowed to escape the mold forming the flash there fore pushing out the air on each cast.
Tesla is using a version where it's cast in a vacuum to reduce flash creation and make a very specific alloy with no air bubbles inside it.

-Crissa

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
I enjoyed the content. I did not enjoy the piss poor camera operator! On a single camera shoot, when they are pointing at and discussing specifics of the machinery in front of them.. viewer does not need to see the person speaking at all times. Point the damn camera at the object they are talking about and hold the focus of the camera on that object for long enough for the viewers to see and digest what they are talking about! Don't just lazily pan over to the object they are talking about seconds after they are done talking about specifics, and haphazardly point in the general direction (not even aiming at the actual specific area of the object they are talking about) and pan back after 1 second.

*end of camera operator to camera operator rant*

Other than that.. sure it was a good video. ;)

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Tesla is using a version where it's cast in a vacuum to reduce flash creation and make a very specific alloy with no air bubbles inside it.

-Crissa
Thanks Crissa I finally subscribed.

New takeaways:
1.) Tesla is currently averaging only 500 cast per day. Not 1000. Unknown reasons.
2.) You can change the die in a couple hours.
3.) the giga cast is a much cleaner process than traditional I am sure the machines won't look white after a couple months of heavy use, but as you said they solved the excess flash problem (although it wasn't covered in the video.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I enjoyed the content. I did not enjoy the piss poor camera operator! On a single camera shoot, when they are pointing at and discussing specifics of the machinery in front of them.. viewer does not need to see the person speaking at all times. Point the damn camera at the object they are talking about and hold the focus of the camera on that object for long enough for the viewers to see and digest what they are talking about! Don't just lazily pan over to the object they are talking about seconds after they are done talking about specifics, and haphazardly point in the general direction (not even aiming at the actual specific area of the object they are talking about) and pan back after 1 second.

*end of camera operator to camera operator rant*

Other than that.. sure it was a good video. ;)
I was thinking the same thing but I was happy to have anything.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
I was really hoping they'd show teeny tiny one as well (for making matchbox cars!). :cool:

CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag
It does appear there may be some components POTENTIALLY being from IDRA that landed in Texas yesterday by the way.
In the past, the Idra containers have their name painted on the side with plywood boxes and blue tops. and staged near the Casting building.
I saw the videos from the other day and I believe the containers you are referring to were being loaded on the South West side of the building. Jeff Roberts should know this already, I was confused when I watched his video in why he thought these were from Idra
Tesla Cybertruck Sandy Munro Tours IDRA Facilities  9,000 Ton Giga Press 1658075974862

vs

Tesla Cybertruck Sandy Munro Tours IDRA Facilities  9,000 Ton Giga Press Screenshot (108)
Sponsored

Last edited: