Sentry Mode battery drain on Cybertruck

Nurkbonis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
P3D
Country flag
I really hate to sound combative like this, but..

How do you know it is in the next update?

There are so many scenarios around Tesla updates that even the most informed will generally say "a future update"

• A specific vehicle is not guaranteed to get a specific update
  • An announced feature often takes over 6 months to make it to a vehicle
  • Tesla seems to be running at least three branches of code right now and it is common that one branch is updated, but the others aren't (eventually the branches merge)
someone in the 2024.8.4 thread said it’s fixed… good if true but no guarantee it’s actually fixed.
Sponsored

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
someone in the 2024.8.4 thread said it’s fixed… good if true but no guarantee it’s actually fixed.
But as I said, there's nothing guaranteeing that any specific vehicle is going to get a specific release. Now I will admit, it's highly probable that all of the current Cybertrucks may get it, but there's already possibilities of why they might not, like Beast vs AWD.

My basic point is that for those that may not be familiar with Tesla's release process, just like the lottery that it felt like you were in when you got the vehicle, releases are yet another lottery.

Some releases roll out to the fleet over a short period (~1 week) but others can spread out over to ( a month) and specific features can take much longer times (>6 months)

And it's VERY possible that two vehicles with adjacent VINS to be on different releases and get updates on different timelines.

It's indeed the update lottery that takes some time to get used to.

Nurkbonis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
P3D
Country flag
But as I said, there's nothing guaranteeing that any specific vehicle is going to get a specific release. Now I will admit, it's highly probable that all of the current Cybertrucks may get it, but there's already possibilities of why they might not, like Beast vs AWD.

My basic point is that for those that may not be familiar with Tesla's release process, just like the lottery that it felt like you were in when you got the vehicle, releases are yet another lottery.

Some releases roll out to the fleet over a short period (~1 week) but others can spread out over to ( a month) and specific features can take much longer times (>6 months)

And it's VERY possible that two vehicles with adjacent VINS to be on different releases and get updates on different timelines.

It's indeed the update lottery that takes some time to get used to.
Ya, I am used to this. This is my 5th Tesla. For shits and giggles, I have an open service ticket with an appointment scheduled tomorrow for a few things, not specifically the battery drain. I sent the service team a message asking if they could push the latest update to my Cybertruck to see if that helped the battery drain. They spoke to the techs and were told that due to the phased approach of the software deployment, they can't because my Cybertruck has the latest firmware that mine is allowed to have.

OP
OP

Mattsplat

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
T
I have the Cybertruck and I can confirm the sentry mode drains the battery like crazy, hope they will fix that in the next update
Thanks for posting. If I ever get mine I will keep an eye on it while I am gone so I have enough battery to get home. Might need to shut it off early. That would be a great software update "Shut off Sentry Mode at ___%"

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
T

Thanks for posting. If I ever get mine I will keep an eye on it while I am gone so I have enough battery to get home. Might need to shut it off early. That would be a great software update "Shut off Sentry Mode at ___%"
Like maybe 20%?

That's what it does today.

OP
OP

Mattsplat

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
Like maybe 20%?

That's what it does today.
Yeah, but I use close to that to get home from the airport. On a bad day with traffic jams I might not make it. It would be cool to be able to set it to 35%

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Yeah, but I use close to that to get home from the airport. On a bad day with traffic jams I might not make it. It would be cool to be able to set it to 35%
It's designed to get you to a Supercharger, not home. Spend a few minutes and you should be good to go. I'm guessing about 8 minutes will get you from 0 to over 30%

OP
OP

Mattsplat

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
It's designed to get you to a Supercharger, not home. Spend a few minutes and you should be good to go. I'm guessing about 8 minutes will get you from 0 to over 30%
Supercharger network in Utah sucks. It is a 20 minute or more drive from the airport to get to the nearest supercharger and it is in the opposite direction of home. Imagine leaving your family for days at a time and when you get back in town, anxious to see them, instead of just driving home 30 min, you have to drive 20-25 min in the wrong direction, charge for however long you need (hopefully a spot is available to charge) and now what would have been a 30 min drive is 45 min to an hour or more depending on traffic. Uh, no thanks.
How about Tesla just continue to update the software for personalization. The new charge 1x is great and I used it just yesterday.

FL370

First Name
Anders
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MS AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
I had the same concerns. I need a 220-mile range round trip. On my latest five-day trip - I turned off Sentry mode - parked in a garage with no plug-in - lost 4% in five days. Not bad at all.

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
Supercharger network in Utah sucks. It is a 20 minute or more drive from the airport to get to the nearest supercharger and it is in the opposite direction of home. Imagine leaving your family for days at a time and when you get back in town, anxious to see them, instead of just driving home 30 min, you have to drive 20-25 min in the wrong direction, charge for however long you need (hopefully a spot is available to charge) and now what would have been a 30 min drive is 45 min to an hour or more depending on traffic. Uh, no thanks.
How about Tesla just continue to update the software for personalization. The new charge 1x is great and I used it just yesterday.
Yea, people don't realize that out West there is not a supercharger ever 20 miles. They assume because they just go to Walmart and home and there is a SC on the way they are everywhere, but some parts of the country you need 250 miles to get out and back because there may not be a supercharger on the route, or at least not a V2 so you are not sitting there for an hour or two.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
There's 2 different locations downtown, just minutes away. 1 to the west and a bunch to the South, that's far from sucks. But I'm guessing that you live to the North,

And there's a couple of parking locations with J-1772 plugs.

Of course if you don't turn Sentry on, there's no problem.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
In an EV, you go further on days with traffic jams than without.

Yea, people don't realize that out West there is not a supercharger ever 20 miles. They assume because they just go to Walmart and home and there is a SC on the way they are everywhere, but some parts of the country you need 250 miles to get out and back because there may not be a supercharger on the route, or at least not a V2 so you are not sitting there for an hour or two.
You keep saying this, and then you show routes so rural that I'd be dubious taking my Mazda over them. Last time it was a route that was half degraded dirt the last time I was on it.

-Crissa

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Aren't you in Florida? Are you referring to West Florida?

And if you want to find the HIGHEST concentration of chargers, the further west you go, the higher they get.

Oh and those places where it does take 250 miles to get to the Walmart and back? Well, they just aren't that many people there to begin with. If there was enough people, there'd be a Walmart.

I've spent a few months in Salt Lake. I'm familiar with the area. There's 5 Superchargers in the main city, 1 to the west, 1 about an hour to the North in Tremonten, and a couple down in Provo.
Two coming to the city, 1 coming to Layton.

The furthest one from the airport in Tremonton (75 miles) and that will be shortened by the addition in Provo.

So there's 3 within 6 miles of the airport, 7 within 20 miles.

You were saying something about not every 20 miles. ROTFLMA!!!
Sponsored