Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 1948 Chevy Truck
Occupation
Company owner Laquinta painting
Country flag
OK guys design time ideas for Sliding Doors. Let's help Tesla out!
Cyberprairie
Sponsored

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Sliding doors... you'd never be able to have anything in the bed that's wider than the bed. You couldn't even lean a bed frame against the side.
? I wish any car ever made had sliding doors implemented before minivans. Connotation is too strong!

I’ve always seen SUVs and vans as the same concept, different connotation. Sliding doors were the best aspect of the minivan.

People drive pickups and SUVs instead of vans these days simply to avoid the cultural minivan association. Typically, for the same terrible MPG, minivans have more utility for hauling stuff around and keeping it dry.

It’s great to see pickup beds used, but I typically see nothing in them ;-) Glamour vehicles in the guise of utility
My truck almost never has anything in the bed but I can't connect my 5th wheel trailer to a van.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
The doors would have to jut out, than slide back, To get past the wheel arches. Plus an ugly rail on the top or bottom or worse middle to slide in. It seems like a lot of complications for what gain?

Handy Artie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Mercedes Sprinter 2500
Occupation
Retired surgical oncologist
Country flag
In my mind, Sprinter 2500’s are better overall for carrying things than pickup trucks. They have roughly the same footprint as the Cybertruck. It makes a great SUV if you travel widely with dogs. We have 3 GSP’s we roam around with and sometimes even a cat. You can put 4’ x 10’ plywood in them and lay them flat. I’ve loaded a picnic table in mine and used its flat bed to assemble Tommy Docks cedar frames. With the 3 L diesel you can tow 7500 Lbs. It has a commanding highway ride height and reasonable acceleration with the standard roof height with a safe top speed of 83 MPH governed.

The major problem is the standard roof is 8 feet off the ground with 6” more for the radio antenna. You cannot use indoor garage parking routinely and you have to be careful of horizontal tree branches in poorly lit parking lots at night. The minor problem is you have to follow light Diesel engine maintenance schedules which aren’t cheap anymore, including changing DEF pump and NOX sensors every 75,000 miles.

I definitely would buy a CyberSprinter if I could.

OP
OP
thejohnllama

thejohnllama

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Nissan Leaf, 2007 Toyota Prius
Occupation
Marketing Consultant
Country flag
Sliding doors... you'd never be able to have anything in the bed that's wider than the bed. You couldn't even lean a bed frame against the side.

My truck almost never has anything in the bed but I can't connect my 5th wheel trailer to a van.
Good call on width limitation ?

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
? I wish any car ever made had sliding doors implemented before minivans. Connotation is too strong!

I’ve always seen SUVs and vans as the same concept, different connotation. Sliding doors were the best aspect of the minivan.

People drive pickups and SUVs instead of vans these days simply to avoid the cultural minivan association. Typically, for the same terrible MPG, minivans have more utility for hauling stuff around and keeping it dry.

It’s great to see pickup beds used, but I typically see nothing in them ;-) Glamour vehicles in the guise of utility
90% of the time my pickup has nothing in the back, but when I need it, it sure is nice to have room for a fridge, a load of lumber, a buncha strippers, or whatever. Just 'cause they're empty most of the time doesn't make it a glam... I hope.?

TI4Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 Cummins, GMC 1500, LandRover Discovery 1, Suzuki GT750, Electra Glide Ultra Classic Limited, Electra Glide Sport, RX3 Cyclone
Occupation
Retired, added 5 days to my weekend
Country flag
Sliding doors sound practical but in comparison to to a standard door, the reliability of a hinged door is much better then a sliding door, keep the tracks clean, more points of required lubrication and the door is more complex to build. Maybe Elon will be open to a Cybervan concept in the future?

OP
OP
thejohnllama

thejohnllama

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Nissan Leaf, 2007 Toyota Prius
Occupation
Marketing Consultant
Country flag
90% of the time my pickup has nothing in the back, but when I need it, it sure is nice to have room for a fridge, a load of lumber, a buncha strippers, or whatever. Just 'cause they're empty most of the time doesn't make it a glam... I hope.?
Ya I know what you mean. We borrow an early 2000s Silverado pretty often for that reason.

I go nuts paying for 20 MPG, honestly. Where we live, it’s 10 miles to town, 15 more across when we go further East, and longer trips add up.

We have an ‘07 Prius that we only occasionally use ‘cuz it costs 3x more to drive than our modest range ‘13 Leaf, so even 40-55MPG is feeling $$$ to me these days ?

Last edited:

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
We had been only using our Leaf the few times we have had to go out for the first month, and I went to drive my Subaru and the brakes had rusted and it didnt want to move at first. Now I have to drive the Subaru once every two weeks to keep that from happening again.

Really wanting the CyberTruck.

Handy Artie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Mercedes Sprinter 2500
Occupation
Retired surgical oncologist
Country flag
Mercedes-Benz sold 438,400 vans world wide including Sprinters in 2019. This was a new record for them. So some form of exoskeleton Cybervan would probably prove competitive at less than $50K for rear wheel drive and less than $60K for all wheel drive.

https://www.daimler.com/investors/key-figures/markets/

craz

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
There was a car I saw that had front sliding doors, they went forward.
Not sure it was this car, but this gets the idea across.
frontslidingdoors.jpg
I think this would look sick on the CT.

I’d be a little concerned about the added complexity.

I also think it’s valuable to have access to the controls on the door while the door is open, which wouldn’t be possible here. With a focused design effort i think that could be solved though.

All in all I like it.

Sputter

First Name
Herbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Model 3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
There was a car I saw that had front sliding doors, they went forward.
Not sure it was this car, but this gets the idea across.
frontslidingdoors.jpg
When this feature came out twenty years ago, or whenever, I thought it was fantastic. I still do. Elon and his guys are rocket designers! You folks don't think the engineers at Tesla can design a similar mechanism that works on the CYBRTRK? Dissenters replying to this original post: what is truly wrong with doors like this? Good grief! Just push a button, and the big, heavy awkward doors just slide out of the the way, just as they do now on your wife's van. I cannot believe this design is more difficult to design than the falcon-wing doors. Picture this...you're in a tight parking space and you've got both hands full...maybe carrying your baby and a pizza. You walk up to your car and the door slides open. If a trunk can open with a wave of your foot, why not these sliding doors?

Sputter

First Name
Herbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Model 3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
As a follow up to my posting advocating sliding doors, it occurred to me: those doors that Frantz slammed with a sledgehammer, they are 'gonna be HEAVY. Who wants to open that and be ever-so-super-careful it doesn't swing out and smash the Cadillac next to you? The crease on the corner of the door is going to be like a spear when it dings the adjacent parked car.
Sponsored