So little info on Powershare

Cyberowner3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, M3P
Country flag
Just so little information. Had a site visit from Tesla (not a third party) for Powershsre install. After 1 month, finally got an estimate with little information and something to sign. “Energy Pilot Terms” that references “Vehicle to Home (V2H) Powershare Pilot!” Clearly they are still figuring this out. Anyone else sign this agreement and/or get it installed. Looking to get solar too but too many unknowns on installation requirement, etc. very frustrating that you can’t readily get information from any one at Tesla.
Sponsored

Fabville

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fabville.com
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model X, 2015 Model S P85D, AWD CT
Country flag
I just got my PowerShare install quote from the third party electrician that Tesla sent my contract information to. I need to verify details as none were provided, but they’re apparently saying I need to upgrade my circuit panel with a SPAN smart circuit panel because of some “double stack” circuits that were installed.

I thought most people were getting quotes for around $4k or less and that Tesla was capping how much electricians could charge. I certainly wasn’t expecting to pay over $11K for installation.

“The total for the SPAN panel upgrade is $6,453.38

For the Powershare portion, the total is $5,125.65”

cyber_danko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, Model S, Cybertruck
Country flag
I just got my PowerShare install quote from the third party electrician that Tesla sent my contract information to. I need to verify details as none were provided, but they’re apparently saying I need to upgrade my circuit panel with a SPAN smart circuit panel because of some “double stack” circuits that were installed.

I thought most people were getting quotes for around $4k or less and that Tesla was capping how much electricians could charge. I certainly wasn’t expecting to pay over $11K for installation.

“The total for the SPAN panel upgrade is $6,453.38

For the Powershare portion, the total is $5,125.65”
That is an upsell. Nobody "requires" a SPAN panel.

Fabville

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fabville.com
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model X, 2015 Model S P85D, AWD CT
Country flag
That is an upsell. Nobody "requires" a SPAN panel.
Yeah, I think you’re right. I just replied back to them with some follow-up questions. I was expecting a line-by-line quote, just got a couple paragraphs followed by that pricing. Seems the PowerShare install itself is over priced too.

They did mention this is their original email, this might be their attempt at justifying a huge upsell:

“To monitor every circuit in your panel, we need to replace the doubled-up breakers with individual breakers. Otherwise, they will only be monitored jointly rather than individually. “

I don’t think I have any need to monitor every single circuit in my panel, and certainly not the power on those two separate double stack breakers.

Gundo

First Name
Gundo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche C2S
Country flag
Got me quote here in Connecticut.
$4,000
need to run new 6 gauge MC wiring and low voltage comm wires about 90 feet through exposed basement ceiling, replace current generator switch. Install gateway and EVSe.

about double the $$ I was expecting.
Quote came quick tho. 3 days from site visit to emailed quote.
Still no VIN so holding off a bit.
This would be their first powershallpowershare install in Connecticut.

cyber_danko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, Model S, Cybertruck
Country flag
Yeah, I think you’re right. I just replied back to them with some follow-up questions. I was expecting a line-by-line quote, just got a couple paragraphs followed by that pricing. Seems the PowerShare install itself is over priced too.

They did mention this is their original email, this might be their attempt at justifying a huge upsell:

“To monitor every circuit in your panel, we need to replace the doubled-up breakers with individual breakers. Otherwise, they will only be monitored jointly rather than individually. “

I don’t think I have any need to monitor every single circuit in my panel, and certainly not the power on those two separate double stack breakers.
You do not need to monitor anything IMHO. I have a setup where I protect the whole house. I do not have a critical loads subpanel that others suggest. Your CyberTruck has the equaivalent of 9 powerwalls. If you have an extended outage, you can flip the breakers yourself. Turn off that hot tub, etc...

Span is a good product. My good friend that owns a Solar company has it installed. Though it is entirely unnecessary when you have the amount of battery backup the CyberTruck provides unless you want to pay for low level (per circuit) monitoring and power consumption.

If you have doubled up breakers, then this is not a code violation but not ideal. Most likely you are out of space in your panel for additional breakers. You can save quite a bit by utilizing a normal load center like Eaton, Schneider Electric, and Siemens which provide more space than Span (32 vs 40+). The breakers are the most expensive part of the installation anyways, and the Span utilizes Schneider Electric so that is already baked into your estimate.
Sponsored

Last edited: